Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    In checking the Brown sports website to see if Wednesday's game will be broadcast, I noticed that this past weekend's games were not available on the audio side. But, the 2 BB games were. I trust the day is coming soon that when there is a conflict between BB and Hockey, the hockey game will be the first priority.

Also, I have never viewed the videocast. In noting Kdiff's problem this past weekend, have others had the same problem this season or was it just a bad feed. While I like Mike R on the audio, I have been thinking of trying the video, especially for Clarkson and Princeton,
    Mike, I think it was just Union's feed- Brown didn't provide its own this past weekend. In general, the video feeds for home games are better. Sometimes they have audio (the radio broadcasts), and sometimes they don't. The video quality is mediocre, but at least you get to see for yourself what happens.

In the end, it really depends on whether or not you want to be spending $15 a weekend to watch two games. In the past, it hasn't been worth it for me because either I've been at the game or the team has been so bad I don't want to waste the money, but this year, the team is actually exciting, so I like to watch online if I can't make it.

Comment

Generally I think all the home games are broadcast,and I think the Wednesday game is on the radio in Providence. This weekend's were not - and I don't think the Princeton/Quinnipiac or North Country trips are available from Brown.

I'm not sure if Princeton offers anything in the way of home audio or video, but thought Clarkson at the very least had ppv video and free audio via the radio station that produces the games.

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
      In checking the Brown sports website to see if Wednesday's game will be broadcast, I noticed that this past weekend's games were not available on the audio side. But, the 2 BB games were. I trust the day is coming soon that when there is a conflict between BB and Hockey, the hockey game will be the first priority.

Also, I have never viewed the videocast. In noting Kdiff's problem this past weekend, have others had the same problem this season or was it just a bad feed. While I like Mike R on the audio, I have been thinking of trying the video, especially for Clarkson and Princeton,

Comment

I don't mean to start a shouting match, but is Harry Z. really worth it? I mean he is the Captain but I really question his leadership and the affect it has on the team. It is only one game but at Union he took a dumb penalty, then got tossed with a misconduct late in the third and at one point was too busy yapping with the ref in Union's zone to realize his team was rushing through neutral ice (and Harry Z was caught off-sides.)

In addition, he already has 101 PIMs and Bruno's PK isn't exactly world class.

Yes, he has great speed and can score, but do the pros outweigh the cons?
        2008-2009 ECAC Pick The Standings Contest Champ!

Comment

Originally posted by Union93 View Post
          I don't mean to start a shouting match, but is Harry Z. really worth it? I mean he is the Captain but I really question his leadership and the affect it has on the team. It is only one game but at Union he took a dumb penalty, then got tossed with a misconduct late in the third and at one point was too busy yapping with the ref in Union's zone to realize his team was rushing through neutral ice (and Harry Z was caught off-sides.)

In addition, he already has 101 PIMs and Bruno's PK isn't exactly world class.

He had three penalties vs. RPI. RPI scored its two non-empty-net goals on two of them.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Union93 View Post
            Two years ago, coming to a Brown game was something to be dreaded. We played ugly hockey that encouraged physicality but not discipline, and seemed to discourage finesse play and what most consider to be "good" hockey. Our coach had consistently recruited decent players, so we perpetually had hope watching all the freshman show glimpses of what they could do, but after their freshman seasons, most faded and became mediocre. Meehan Auditorium was lifeless, both on the ice and off. Opponents would come in and skate circles around us and run up the score. We would get frustrated, start retaliating to provocative attempts from the opponent, and the game would get out of control. If this didn't occur, then we would simple meander around the ice for 60 minutes with no aim and get pummeled. We were near the bottom of the NCAA in almost every significant category- win percentage, GAA, GFA, shots per game, shots against, penalty minutes, PK %age, and PP conversion %age. The coaching staff refused to change its ways, insisting on proliferating flawed methods which were proven wrong time and again.

Today, a Brown hockey game is an experience. The team is exciting, fun to watch, and actually warrants paying money to see it. Sure, we're penalized a lot, and sure, our PK isn't very good, so we screw ourselves over a lot. But believe me- to see this team play with the heart and energy it has been this season is enough to make me definitively answer"yes" to your question. Yes, it is worth having Zolynierczek 2-3 times a game. His tireless approach and tremendous work ethic is an intangible any coach would love. There have been times in the past where I have been livid at him for one stupid penalty or another, but you know what? It's absolutely, 100%, without a doubt worth it. Know why? Because he makes Brown hockey fun. And that's exactly what it was not for the better part of the last two decades.

Comment

Lincoln Stars report: Berge, Quick out for season

Berge, Quick out for the season: Lincoln Stars captain Josh Berge and rookie defenseman Kyle Quick have each been injured for over a month and are now officially ruled out for the season because of concussions.

For both players it's at least the fourth known career concussion. With each concussion it takes longer to recover, and there are more concerns about the long-term health of the player, team athletic trainer Corey Courtney said.

Quick, who experienced his latest concussion during a collision in practice last month, will return home to Buffalo, N.Y., and plans to fulfill his scholarship to play at Brown University next season.

Comment

Posted a poll for ECAC's top freshman. You can vote more than once if you feel more than one player warrants a vote...every vote counts!

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                  Two years ago, coming to a Brown game was something to be dreaded. We played ugly hockey that encouraged physicality but not discipline, and seemed to discourage finesse play and what most consider to be "good" hockey. Our coach had consistently recruited decent players, so we perpetually had hope watching all the freshman show glimpses of what they could do, but after their freshman seasons, most faded and became mediocre. Meehan Auditorium was lifeless, both on the ice and off. Opponents would come in and skate circles around us and run up the score. We would get frustrated, start retaliating to provocative attempts from the opponent, and the game would get out of control. If this didn't occur, then we would simple meander around the ice for 60 minutes with no aim and get pummeled. We were near the bottom of the NCAA in almost every significant category- win percentage, GAA, GFA, shots per game, shots against, penalty minutes, PK %age, and PP conversion %age. The coaching staff refused to change its ways, insisting on proliferating flawed methods which were proven wrong time and again.

Today, a Brown hockey game is an experience. The team is exciting, fun to watch, and actually warrants paying money to see it. Sure, we're penalized a lot, and sure, our PK isn't very good, so we screw ourselves over a lot. But believe me- to see this team play with the heart and energy it has been this season is enough to make me definitively answer"yes" to your question. Yes, it is worth having Zolynierczek 2-3 times a game. His tireless approach and tremendous work ethic is an intangible any coach would love. There have been times in the past where I have been livid at him for one stupid penalty or another, but you know what? It's absolutely, 100%, without a doubt worth it. Know why? Because he makes Brown hockey fun. And that's exactly what it was not for the better part of the last two decades.
                  Kdiff - I am with you 100%. Harry is an exciting player to watch and his 100%+ effort has helped Brown the past two years. Yes, as Ralph said, he had 2 penalties during which time RPI scored. The first one he went fullbore for the puck when it went into the RPI zone and while he tried to stop his momentum took him into York - no dirty play there and it was the next penalty allowing a 5-3 that did Brown in. Notably, none of the RPI players thought he was trying to run York. I didn't see the second one so I won't comment. But I will comment that last year in the playoffs, his play was instrumental in Brown beating RPI with his play.

Last week KenSchotts the beat writer who covers Union and the ECAC called Harry a dirty player. But I also heard from someone that last Saturday the Union radio color guy disagreed with that assessment. Yes, I have seen Harry take some penalties which should not have taken and could have avoided. Last weekend he played but under control except for his mouth at the end of the game. Overall I would want Harry just the way he is.

Comment

Tonight's game has been postponed until Tuesday the 22nd due to inclement weather.

Comment

Mixed feelings on this post and the postion of KDIFF & Hutter. I agree with the improved level of play and excitement at these games now.....that's all well and good but the bottom line remains wins. We were sub .500 with the boring style and we're sub 500 right now (although with much more upside) with the more exciting style. Harry & Jack are two of the most talented players i've seen at Brown in a long time.....and for that reason we need Harry on the ice more than we need him in the box! As a senior, i'm surprised he has not figured out that fine line of playing on edge with his speed and aggressiveness without going over the line and hurting his team. That BU at BU game, he looked like the best player on the ice the 1st few minutes of the game buzzing around and scoring the first goal - then got a penalty or two and a misconduct and sat out the 3/4 of the period. Comes out in the second period and gets a five minute major and tossed out of the game for a leg check. We salvaged a tie but the game changed after he was gone. We are not deep enough to consistenly overcome his absence - I know with his aggresive style he is going to take a penalty here or there....but it is the dumb 'we didn't need that right now" type of penalties, misconducts, game DQ's that he has to reign in over the final games of his career if Brown is to find more success down the stretch.

Comment

Mixed feelings on this post and the postion of KDIFF & Hutter. I agree with the improved level of play and excitement at these games now.....that's all well and good but the bottom line remains wins. We were sub .500 with the boring style and we're sub 500 right now (although with much more upside) with the more exciting style. Harry & Jack are two of the most talented players i've seen at Brown in a long time.....and for that reason we need Harry on the ice more than we need him in the box! As a senior, i'm surprised he has not figured out that fine line of playing on edge with his speed and aggressiveness without going over the line and hurting his team. That BU at BU game, he looked like the best player on the ice the 1st few minutes of the game buzzing around and scoring the first goal - then got a penalty or two and a misconduct and sat out the 3/4 of the period. Comes out in the second period and gets a five minute major and tossed out of the game for a leg check. We salvaged a tie but the game changed after he was gone. We are not deep enough to consistenly overcome his absence - I know with his aggresive style he is going to take a penalty here or there....but it is the dumb 'we didn't need that right now" type of penalties, misconducts, game DQ's that he has to reign in over the final games of his career if Brown is to find more success down the stretch.

Comment

Chipping in my two cents on Harry Z. He brings great energy to the game, and explosive speed that Brown cannot do without. It's funny that earlier in the season, other than the knee on knee hit against BU I didn't really see many bad penalties from Harry. More recently he has gotten a few that I would say are 'bad' but I also wonder if he hasn't become a bit of a target for both the opposing teams, and the refs. Perhaps the opposing team thinks getting someone to spar with him is a way of taking him off his game. It is definitely a way of getting him off the ice. He definitely needs to stop getting in these situations where he takes a bad penalty, but I think he is getting lots of help.

While we look at this downside of Harry, we need to remember that he pretty much single-handedly won the Yale game for us, assisting on the first two goals, and then just willing his way to scoring the winner with just a few minutes on the clock. He's a keeper on any team I would select.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterboy66 View Post
                            ...I also wonder if he hasn't become a bit of a target for both the opposing teams, and the refs.
                            A big resounding YES to this. I feel certain Harry now gets called for penalties that, had a less visible/notorious skater committed the violation, might be ignored in favor of letting the game flow. And if he is even near a fight, the refs seem to figure he's guilty of starting or continuing it.

Definitely he is targeted by our opponents not only for extra-hard checks and "Academy Award" fake tripping performances, but also by the defense. Both he and Jack get double-covered much of the time these days. As a result, Harry may have to play even chippier just to get past the defenders.

Like others who have commented, I still feel Harry's contributions this year outweigh his penchant for penalties. It would be great if he could muzzle his mouth a bit more when he disagrees with officiating; more discretion seems especially appropriate for the team's captain.

Comment

Haven't seen that many Brown games over recent years, but went to the first BU game this year- expecting to see a Terriers blowout- but came away pleasantly surprised. This was a Bears team that did not show up at Agganis arena just to have a hockey experience- it came to win. And I have to credit the Captain, Harry Z, for setting the tone. He absolutely battled on every inch of the ice, winning puck battles, finishing checks, etc. He got ejected on the reaction of a BU player to the aforementioned knee to knee hit (BU player crumpled to the ice but returned to play the rest of the game.) That kind of heart is infectious, and the young man will take that spirit to the NHL- guaranteed. Yes, the penalties are a downside, and it's too bad he yaps at the officials. But the kind of emotion this player brings to the ice is going to boil over now and again. Harry Z is an outstanding player and leader- glad I got a chance to see him play.

Comment

Originally posted by Herrmoto View Post
                                Haven't seen that many Brown games over recent years, but went to the first BU game this year- expecting to see a Terriers blowout- but came away pleasantly surprised. This was a Bears team that did not show up at Agganis arena just to have a hockey experience- it came to win. And I have to credit the Captain, Harry Z, for setting the tone. He absolutely battled on every inch of the ice, winning puck battles, finishing checks, etc. He got ejected on the reaction of a BU player to the aforementioned knee to knee hit (BU player crumpled to the ice but returned to play the rest of the game.) That kind of heart is infectious, and the young man will take that spirit to the NHL- guaranteed. Yes, the penalties are a downside, and it's too bad he yaps at the officials. But the kind of emotion this player brings to the ice is going to boil over now and again. Harry Z is an outstanding player and leader- glad I got a chance to see him play.
                                Couldn't have said it any better myself. He's a risk-taker, but his physicality pays off. Most teams gun for him because they know what he can do to influence a game and are afraid of his abilities. Without him, where would we be? Maclellan is easily our most skilled and well-rounded player, but Harry has to be the most important in terms of a game-changer.

Comment

Working...
                                X