Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
    Well-written story. Never thought two years ago that this would be a young man who could potentially be leaving early with an NHL career around the corner. Makes me a little anxious to think what could happen if he doesn't return next year - but nice to see the Bears in that position, with the type of player the NHL is looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
      I think Brown students are so full of themselves thay they would not consider appreciating someone else's accomplishmnents. Which is a shame becasue 3, 9 and 27 on your team are worth the price of admission. It's this quality about Brown--the school, not the hockey program--THE SENSE THAT THEY ARE TOO GOOD FOR THE LOWLY OUTSIDE WORLD (my emphasis).
      This is an unfair and totally unfounded categorization of Brown students. Brown students, both athletes and non-athletes, have a long history of involvement in and service to the Providence and surrounding communities, including, but not limited to the schools (e.g., Hope High School, Vartan Gregorian Elementary School, etc.) and the hospitals.

Before you make additional statements about the alleged self-centeredness of Brown students, I suggest that you visit the website of Brown's Swearer Center for Public Service at:
      http://swearercenter.brown.edu/

Also,

http://www.sportsfoundation.brown.ed...noService.html
      http://www.brownbears.com/athletics/saac/index

And maybe consider doing some volunteer work yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
        But how do you explain the fact that 2 of the best players in the country (9 and 27) are playing hockey right on your campus and students couldn't care less.
        Did you miss the part (see earlier posts) where it was pointed out that Brown students aren't back from winter break yet? Brown is not a commuter school, and over break the campus is deserted because the dorms are closed and everyone goes home, or elsewhere to do an internship. To be honest, I was surprised to see fans at all yesterday (other than the hardcore dozen or two who never miss a game).

That being said, I agree that it's tough to get students out to games. But rather than assume Brown students are too self-absorbed and snobbish (a huge percentage are on financial aid, which at Brown is need-based only) to support student-athletes, I would argue that the undergraduate body is incredibly diverse in their interests and hail from all over the globe, including many countries and areas where there is no exposure to hockey (football too) and no tradition that attending a university equates with being a sports fan.

For one who was among the great Meehan crowds of the late 60s and early 70s, when you had to arrive in the afternoon to grab a seat for the 7:30 pm game (we brought our supper in brown bags), and students lined up for blocks hoping to get SRO admission to every game, yup, the current lack of support and interest is tough to swallow and surely tough on the team. But this is not the lower-visibility, somewhat provincial, cozy rah-rah Brown I attended back then, either, so I try not to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
          Makes me a little anxious to think what could happen if he doesn't return next year ....
          I enjoyed the article, too, but was mildly shocked to read that Jack would even consider leaving school before he finishes his senior season. When Volpatti left last year, he first finished the college hockey season and he had also worked ahead on coursework so he didn't have to forfeit graduating in the spring.
          Last edited by DarthBruno; 01-23-2011, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
            Lack of faceoff wins really hurt Brown all game.
            This was a glaring deficit for Brown in the Clarkson game, IMO. Surely the coaches can address the players' faceoff problem with some very focused drills and tutoring. Let's hope they do; winning almost no faceoffs does not help us win games.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
              I enjoyed the article, too, but was mildly shocked to read that Jack would even consider leaving school before he finishes his senior season. When Volpatti left last year, he first finished the college hockey season and he had also worked ahead on coursework so he didn't have to forfeit graduating in the spring.
              Ditto on this. If he doesn't come back, it's hard to imagine next season not being a rough year. We don't have any other star-cåliber players at the moment (Zaires has the potential to be one, but hasn't quite reached that level yet). At times, Jack has single-handedly carried this team over the past two seasons. He's an absolutely phenomenal talent, and I really don't think anyone else in the nation means more to his team. Harry may get most of the press, but Jack Mac is really our most important (and best) player.

Comment

I enjoyed the article, too, but was mildly shocked to read that Jack Maclellan would even consider leaving school before he finishes his senior season. When Aaron Volpatti left last year, he first finished the college hockey season and he had also worked ahead on coursework so he didn't have to forfeit graduating in the spring.
                I think Jack's development as a hockey player would be hampered if he were to leave before his senior year. Right now his skills are perfect for the college game, but he's not physically mature yet to play in the NHL. His development would be much better served by playing college hockey for one more year than by playing in the American Hockey League.

A good example of what may happen in such a situation is former RPI standout Jerry d'Amigo. In 2009-2010 d'Amigo was not only the best new player in the ECAC, but the best player on the US junior team that won the World Junior Championship in Saskatoon. As a big fan of d'Amigo (and no, I have absolutely no connection to RPI, I don't come from Binghamton, NY, and I couldn't care less about the Toronto Maple Leafs), I expected him to be the dominant player on the US junior squad again. But after playing for the Toronto Marlies, of the American Hockey League, d'Amigo seemed to have regressed. He'll play in the NHL -- his skills are outstanding -- but I still think he'd have developed better had he stayed in college.

The AHL is an awful league. Too much fighting and not enough attention to skill development.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  And now you know why I never make any money when I do bet in Las Vegas .

"Clarkson can't fall behind". They do and come away with the win. Only I think the 2nd time this year that has happened. Probably the most significant goal in the game and when it was scored was Burtons to tie the game about 15 sec after the end of the 5 min major to Touhimma. Holding Brown to only 1 goal on that 5 min power play (especially after the one goal was scored less than a min into the PP) plus the score to tie it really seemed to energize Clarkson.

"stay out of the penalty box". Did a good job of that for the most part. Not sure what the h e double tooth picks Touhimma was thinking in launching himself at the Brown player like a missle and elbowing the guy in the head. He deserved the major penalty and could have cost Clarkson the game. When they did take penalties Brown could never get much going on the pp. Lack of faceoff wins really hurt Brown all game.

"will need to score on the power less play....get some scoring from... their defensemen". Borowiecki (D) gets the game winner on the PP on a 2 or 3 cushion pool shot that seems to deflect off 2 or 3 Brown skaters in front of the net and then floats over Clemente's shoulder into the net.

"Hopefully Karpowich will not be too shell shocked from the Yale game". He made a couple of terrific stops especially early in period 1 that kept the game 0-0. You can see that this team needs him to play well to have a chance to win.

And hey I actually did not mind Mike Rubins play by play and his color analyst (don't remember the guys name) for most of this game. Mike was much calmer last night in his commentary and play calling than when I have listened in the past. I think that the last 10 min they spent a lot of time unnecessarily commenting on Clarkson and the trap game they were playing. Yep it is not fun to watch hockey but it got the job done and really seemed to frustrate Brown (and the announcers).

Will be interested to hear from Brown fans perspective on this game. Will probably be another similar game in Potsdam in a couple of weeks. LGT
                  Vic: Clarkson payed a solid game. I can't believe Union rolled the way it did against C 2 weeks ago. Your comment on the face-offs and the dumb penalties Brown took were Brown's downfall. officiating wasn't bad. Perhaps some calls against Brown did not have to be made, but it appeared refs wanted to keep the game under control. When harry Z and tremblay were called for unsportsmanlike conduct before the puck was dropped in the first, you knew the refs were going to keep control. The little scrum at the end could have occurred earlier.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Mike. He is an acquired taste.

Comment

At the end of the game Hathaway and Brownscheidle were assessed ten minute misconduct penalties along with 2 CT players. Do these penalties keep them out of next friday's game?

Comment

10 minute misconducts do not result in DQs for the next game. This requires some delicacy on the part of referees at the end of games. See, for example, http://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com...-postgame.html "Punches were thrown, scrums broke out, but in the end just game misconducts for Matczak, Mason, Flanagan and Jeremy Wick of the Saints. Refs were kind, as it looked like there was cause for game DQ penalties."
                      Last edited by goblue78; 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                        The AHL is an awful league. Too much fighting and not enough attention to skill development.

AMEN. One P-Bruins game was one too many for my taste. It reminded me of pro wrestling -- all fake fighting, pandering to the goons in the stands.

Comment

Anyone coming to the Capital District this weekend?

Comment

What happened tonight? I believe I read that we outshot RPI by a considerable margin. Anyone watch the game?

Comment

What happened tonight? I believe I read that we outshot RPI by a considerable margin. Anyone watch the game?
                              As a biased observer at the game, I'd say that the first period was even, but RPI had a couple power plays and potted their chances (shots were 11-12 in favor of Brown). RPI's offense fell asleep and Brown did not allow anyone to get through the neutral zone without being molested. York did a great job of stopping the quality chances that Brown did generate, though.

I thought it was a great game and Brown had a number of chances throughout the second half of the game to make the score reflect the closeness of the game.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                                As a biased observer at the game, I'd say that the first period was even, but RPI had a couple power plays and potted their chances (shots were 11-12 in favor of Brown). RPI's offense fell asleep and Brown did not allow anyone to get through the neutral zone without being molested. York did a great job of stopping the quality chances that Brown did generate, though.

I thought it was a great game and Brown had a number of chances throughout the second half of the game to make the score reflect the closeness of the game.
                                I would agree with Burgie but would add that 3-0 does not show how well Brown played overall.

Brown just could not finish on their rushes. Time after time a Brown player outskated RPI, leaving them in the proverbial dust with their stickhandling. Brown actually should have had a lot more shots on goals but lost the puck close to th net before getting a shot off. RPI was completely frustrated by Brown throughout the night and had few quality shots. I don't think RPI was looking ahead to Yale but rather was being outplayed by Brown.

Officiating was OK. The second call on Harry which resulted in a power play goal could have been ignored. I think the ref realized that too as shortly later there was a call against RPI which was not deserved other than to even it up.

Burgie, does York always wander around the way he was when mcClellan was called for the penaltywhen he ran into him? Looked reckless to me.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Final Four of Yale, Union, RPI and Brown.
                                Last edited by Mike Hutter; 01-28-2011, 10:18 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Working...
                                X