Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Brown has the ninth strongest schedule in the country. The other Ivies aren't even close. Dartmouth has the twenty-seventh strongest schedule; Harvard has the twenty-eighth; Yale has the thirty-third; Cornell has the thirty-fifth; Princeton has the forty-sixth. As for the non-Ivy ECAC schools, Union is thirty-fourth; RPI is thirty-sixth; St. Lawrence is fortieth; Clarkson is forty-second; Colgate is forty-third; Quinnipiac is forty-fourth.

Brown's record so far against the top twenty schools in the USCHOL poll is 3-6-2.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
      OK back to hockey. As I said in my previous comment, if I had money on this game it would be on Brown. Clarkson has the better record overall but other than the win over RPI not much else to show in terms of signature wins. And they have had just some brutal games (UNO, Cornell, and especially Union ). Brown certainly can lay claim to the signature win catagory. And I must say any team that beats BU is a team I like .

In order for Clarkson to win Saturday I would say they can't fall behind, will need to score on their power less play, stay out of the penalty box and get some scoring from Zarbo, DeFazio and probably their defensemen (Borowiecki or Reufenach). One thing to watch is how many faceoffs Borowiecki on defense will take. He has been our best faceoff man the last few games on the power play. Hopefully Karpowich will not be too shell shocked from the Yale game and can have a strong outing also.
      Vic: Don't be so pessimistic as one knowledgeable commentator Ken Schotts has picked Clarkson. This is an interesting pick as Ken saw and commented on Union's utter domination of Clarkson 2 weeks ago. I wonder what inside information he has.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...10-11-week-15/

Comment

Well, sometimes you have to win ugly. Not a great performance, but a win is a win is a win. Clemente looked solid, nice finish by Maclellan on the penalty shot, and a decent third period. The team is .500 at about the 20-game mark, and it's nice to be looking at the scoreboard during games and wondering what position the team could be in depending on the other scores and our own result.

Quick turnaround for Clarkson tomorrow. Hope Yale took a little bit out of them and we come out with more energy tomorrow than we did against St. Lawrence.

Interesting number that came up: at least one point for the Bears against St. Lawrence for the 19th straight year.

Comment

Don't underestimate CC, they took Yale deep into the third, and play much like Brown. Nice win guys.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
            Well, sometimes you have to win ugly. Not a great performance, but a win is a win is a win. Clemente looked solid, nice finish by Maclellan on the penalty shot, and a decent third period. The team is .500 at about the 20-game mark, and it's nice to be looking at the scoreboard during games and wondering what position the team could be in depending on the other scores and our own result.

Quick turnaround for Clarkson tomorrow. Hope Yale took a little bit out of them and we come out with more energy tomorrow than we did against St. Lawrence.

Interesting number that came up: at least one point for the Bears against St. Lawrence for the 19th straight year.
            Good opportunity for a four point weekend and get over the .500 mark tonight. Overall Im happy with the way the Bears are playing. Bright future ahead.
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Well, sometimes you have to win ugly. Not a great performance, but a win is a win is a win. Clemente looked solid, nice finish by Maclellan on the penalty shot, and a decent third period. Hope Yale took a little bit out of them and we come out with more energy tomorrow than we did against St. Lawrence.

You are not giving your own team enough credit and I disagree with your comments. They had plenty of energy...they beat SLU to almost every puck and had my Saints turning and chasing them most of the night. IMO there were two startling differences in last nights game (besides the aforementioned faster, more energy and beating us to the puck)
              1. Your transition game was far superior to SLU's last night. Brown continually broke out of the zone with clean, crisp and smart passes which let you gain entry into the SLU zone with ease which led to numerous scoring chances. This was really evident in the 1st period. If your boys learn to bury more of their chances (our problem too) then you will be a top tier team in the conference this year. SLU on the other hand had no transition and our M.O. was to dump the puck out along the boards and our only breakouts came when Hughes or Baker lugged the puck.
              2. Your MVP of the game was Buvinov (Sp?). Beside the two posts we hit....at a critical juncture of the game Clemente was out of position and out of the net. We had the puck on our stick with a yawning wide open net. We shot into an empty net and Buvinov came sliding across to block the shot and save a sure goal. Later he broke up another grade "A" scoring chance.

I really think you are underselling how well your team played last night. They deserved the victory, were the better team and controlled the play for the majority of the game.

A few other observations.
              -Your team deserves better fan support. It is disgusting how few people show up (even if students are away). The stats said there were a little over 1,000 people there. That had to be tickets sold as about 700 were no shows. By the end of the game everyone on our side of the ice was a familiar face, I knew many by name and most were SLU fans. I think we had more fans there than you guys did.
              -With the construction and snow the parking situation is desperate. Heaven forbid you did have a good turnout because they would probably have to use a commuter lot in Warwick and bus people in.
              -It is no surprise to us Saint fans that you took points from us. I have watched an NCAA Frozen Four team and several other NCAA tournament teams come into that icebox (excuse me but it is frigid in there) and not take a point away. Meehan has been our personal house of horrors for years. I don't know if there is a secret, if your equipment guy dulls our skates without us knowing it, you put glue on our walkway but we seldom play well at Meehan (or even against you in Canton even when we have a better team) which this year we do not.
              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                1. Your transition game was far superior to SLU's last night. Brown continually broke out of the zone with clean, crisp and smart passes which let you gain entry into the SLU zone with ease which led to numerous scoring chances. This was really evident in the 1st period. If your boys learn to bury more of their chances (our problem too) then you will be a top tier team in the conference this year. SLU on the other hand had no transition and our M.O. was to dump the puck out along the boards and our only breakouts came when Hughes or Baker lugged the puck.
                I agree on that count. I think we passed the puck pretty well, but let SLU hang around too much in the first two periods, which is why the game was tied into the third. There was a marked difference between Brown's forwards and SLU's D-men - though the younger Raley played a pretty decent game, I thought.

I really think you are underselling how well your team played last night. They deserved the victory, were the better team and controlled the play for the majority of the game.
                I think I'm just basing my observation in comparison to the Yale game, when there seemed to be more energy on the ice. Like I said, a win is a win.

-Your team deserves better fan support. It is disgusting how few people show up (even if students are away). The stats said there were a little over 1,000 people there. That had to be tickets sold as about 700 were no shows. By the end of the game everyone on our side of the ice was a familiar face, I knew many by name and most were SLU fans. I think we had more fans there than you guys did.
                I couldn't agree with you more. I mean, I can't imagine it's easy to come out of the tunnel and see 300 people in the stands...after beating #1 in the country. I mean, when do the students come back, February?

-With the construction and snow the parking situation is desperate. Heaven forbid you did have a good turnout because they would probably have to use a commuter lot in Warwick and bus people in.
                Parking is a mess. The snow makes it worse. Hopefully this is the last year of it.

As an aside- no Joe Marsh behind the bench. One of the classiest guys in the business, hope whatever kept him from making the trip is not serious and that he's back where he belongs soon.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more. I mean, I can't imagine it's easy to come out of the tunnel and see 300 people in the stands...after beating #1 in the country. I mean, when do the students come back, February?
                  They come back this week, but do you really think it's going to make that big of a difference? A couple hundred will show up per game and just sit there and politely applaud when we score or when there's a big hit. I don't understand how the same kids who showed up en masse (4,700+ students) and were vociferous for 60 minutes at the Brown-Harvard football game this year haven't showed up to any other event. However they marketed that game, they should market every game.

We not only need to get a more active student section, we need to tap into the local market as well. A Brown hockey ticket used to be something to be cherished by sports fans throughout the state, and now it's something one can obtain for $5. They did a decent job appealing to youth hockey teams for the Yale game, as most of the fans there were youth players in their jerseys with their families. However, this isn't a constant thing, unfortunately.

Back in the "glory days" of 01-04, we used to draw pretty decent crowds with good student support. Hopefully this team will become nationally ranked again and draw crowds based on merit alone, since Brown doesn't seem to care whether 400 or 2,400 people show up to a game.

Comment

What happened today? How did this excerllent Brown team lose to Clarkson.
                    I went up to UNH last night and my Friars broke my heart and I was hoping to get some solace in a Brown victory. So I showed up at 6:30 thinking it was a 7 pm game and people were leaving
                    The Yale game was the best ECAC game I have seen and I figured it would launch Brown into a long win streak
                    I agree with posters bemoaning the lack of student support. Are Brown students too sophisticated for hockey or so into their own selves to ever root for someone else. I think the latter--I think Brown students are so full of themselves thay they would not consider appreciating someone else's accomplishmnents. Which is a shame becasue 3, 9 and 27 on your team are worth the price of admission. It's this quality about Brown--the school, not the hockey program--the sense that they are too good for the lowly outside wotrld--that sends me back to being a Friar fan even though Brown is much more fun to watch and has more talent.
                    Still I wish Brown hockey well. They can beat any team in the country on a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
                      I went up to UNH last night and my Friars broke my heart and I was hoping to get some solace in a Brown victory. So I showed up at 6:30 thinking it was a 7 pm game and people were leaving
                      The Yale game was the best ECAC game I have seen and I figured it would launch Brown into a long win streak
                      I agree with posters bemoaning the lack of student support. Are Brown students too sophisticated for hockey or so into their own selves to ever root for someone else. I think the latter--I think Brown students are so full of themselves thay they would not consider appreciating someone else's accomplishmnents. Which is a shame becasue 3, 9 and 27 on your team are worth the price of admission. It's this quality about Brown--the school, not the hockey program--the sense that they are too good for the lowly outside wotrld--that sends me back to being a Friar fan even though Brown is much more fun to watch and has more talent.
                      Still I wish Brown hockey well. They can beat any team in the country on a good day.
                      Hooray for unfounded, biased accusations with no semblance of tangible evidence to support your claims.

Comment

I don't have time to interview the student body regarding why they don't support the team so I can't provide "tangible evidence". But how do you explain the fact that 2 of the best players in the country (9 and 27) are playing hockey right on your campus and students couldn't care less.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          OK back to hockey. As I said in my previous comment, if I had money on this game it would be on Brown. Clarkson has the better record overall but other than the win over RPI not much else to show in terms of signature wins. And they have had just some brutal games (UNO, Cornell, and especially Union ). Brown certainly can lay claim to the signature win catagory. And I must say any team that beats BU is a team I like .

In order for Clarkson to win Saturday I would say they can't fall behind, will need to score on their power less play, stay out of the penalty box and get some scoring from Zarbo, DeFazio and probably their defensemen (Borowiecki or Reufenach). One thing to watch is how many faceoffs Borowiecki on defense will take. He has been our best faceoff man the last few games on the power play. Hopefully Karpowich will not be too shell shocked from the Yale game and can have a strong outing also.
                          And now you know why I never make any money when I do bet in Las Vegas .

"Clarkson can't fall behind". They do and come away with the win. Only I think the 2nd time this year that has happened. Probably the most significant goal in the game and when it was scored was Burtons to tie the game about 15 sec after the end of the 5 min major to Touhimma. Holding Brown to only 1 goal on that 5 min power play (especially after the one goal was scored less than a min into the PP) plus the score to tie it really seemed to energize Clarkson.

"stay out of the penalty box". Did a good job of that for the most part. Not sure what the h e double tooth picks Touhimma was thinking in launching himself at the Brown player like a missle and elbowing the guy in the head. He deserved the major penalty and could have cost Clarkson the game. When they did take penalties Brown could never get much going on the pp. Lack of faceoff wins really hurt Brown all game.

"will need to score on the power less play....get some scoring from... their defensemen". Borowiecki (D) gets the game winner on the PP on a 2 or 3 cushion pool shot that seems to deflect off 2 or 3 Brown skaters in front of the net and then floats over Clemente's shoulder into the net.

"Hopefully Karpowich will not be too shell shocked from the Yale game". He made a couple of terrific stops especially early in period 1 that kept the game 0-0. You can see that this team needs him to play well to have a chance to win.

And hey I actually did not mind Mike Rubins play by play and his color analyst (don't remember the guys name) for most of this game. Mike was much calmer last night in his commentary and play calling than when I have listened in the past. I think that the last 10 min they spent a lot of time unnecessarily commenting on Clarkson and the trap game they were playing. Yep it is not fun to watch hockey but it got the job done and really seemed to frustrate Brown (and the announcers).

Will be interested to hear from Brown fans perspective on this game. Will probably be another similar game in Potsdam in a couple of weeks. LGT
                          Last edited by vicb; 01-23-2011, 06:52 AM.
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by czeckthebody View Post
                            The game day experience at Meehan isn't that good. Throw in the fact that they play afternoon games sometimes against quality teams, too. Students don't really come out either. This team would need to do what Yale* is doing this year (winning not cheating) to get casual fans to come out. Providence is a hoops town for the average college fan, so having Brown and a perpetually down PC team doesn't help the cause.

With the kids coming in over the next few years (especially Lorito, Harlow, and Draper), things are looking up.
                            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                              Yale* is doing this year (winning not cheating)
                              Give it up dude. It's over.

Comment

Nice story about Jack Maclellan:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...430/story.html

Comment

Working...
                                X