Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    Hell, if we don't start winning more games at home, I'm not sure I even want home-ice in the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, we currently have a winning (or at least .500) record on the road, which should bode well if we do have to travel for the playoffs.

That said, I'd love to see the playoffs back at Meehan. It's been too long.
    Saw this online. This is very cool.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/ecachoc...easonprob.html

What's amazing is that both Colgate and Harvard have less than 1% of making the ECAC championships. But as we all know, that 1% is a lot better sometimes than it appears.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
      Saw this online. This is very cool.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/ecachoc...easonprob.html

What's amazing is that both Colgate and Harvard have less than 1% of making the ECAC championships. But as we all know, that 1% is a lot better sometimes than it appears.
      Hey, that's a pretty nifty site! I would LOVE to see a Brown-Harvard first round series at Meehan, which would be the case if these projections/probabilities come true.

Shockingly, Yale is the runaway favorite to win (43% chance vs 2nd-place Union's 16%).

I think we have a great shot at locking down a solid 6 or 7 seed. I don't think at this point in time that we'll be able to get a first round bye, but hey, stranger things have happened (namely, last year's run to the semis). It should be a captivating stretch to end the season. I'm very excited!

Comment

Interesting website tracking standing and playoff possibilities. Also interesting that someone has the time to figure this stuff out. Hopefully just a research project....

On the power play changes I think this is a natural reflection of getting into mid-season games. Any adjustments made during the off-season brought some new systems or adjustments to each team's playing style. With the abundance of game films available today every team has the opportunity to review opponents systems and adjust appropriately. I think the power play adjustments were actually made in early December. Anyone watching the Brown game film knew the power play consisted of Maclellan and Robertson playing ping-pong with the puck until Robertson could get off the shot. I think teams have adjusted by putting more pressure up closer to both Maclellan and Robertson. Note this will logically create opportunities in other places that the Bears will be working on exploiting.

I think there are also other adjustments on the go. I'm sure Maclellan is being targeted and is getting much less space to work, and from now on, I think no one will play Zolniercyk tight, because he'll just skate right by you. I am guessing that the line adjustments of moving Zaires away from Zolniercyk and Maclellan is one of them from the Bears end. These mid-season adjustments are interesting to watch. I think we've got a great coaching staff who will give us an edge as it comes to making these adjustments.

This will be an interesting weekend for the Bears. They've broken the goose-egg at home, and have the opportunity to show some consistency. While the win against Yale was great, it was even better that they had to claw their way back from deficits twice in that game. Coupled with the comeback to tie Providence in the Mayors Cup, hopefully the team has built some resiliency...

Go Bruno Go

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
          Hey, that's a pretty nifty site! I would LOVE to see a Brown-Harvard first round series at Meehan, which would be the case if these projections/probabilities come true.

Shockingly, Yale is the runaway favorite to win (43% chance vs 2nd-place Union's 16%).

I think we have a great shot at locking down a solid 6 or 7 seed. I don't think at this point in time that we'll be able to get a first round bye, but hey, stranger things have happened (namely, last year's run to the semis). It should be a captivating stretch to end the season. I'm very excited!
          Sorry, but to say Yale has the second best chance to win it all after UND is laughable. Did this website eminate out of a dorm in New Haven?
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
            Sorry, but to say Yale has the second best chance to win it all after UND is laughable. Did this website eminate out of a dorm in New Haven?
            Probably some Community College in the Ocean State. The site certainly slights BC, I hope they are right.

Why all the Yale hating? Whatever happened to winning with class and tact?
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              Probably some Community College in the Ocean State. The site certainly slights BC, I hope they are right.

Onion Man does not represent the rest of the Brown community.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                LGT?

The only point I was making is that Brown has beaten top 10 teams. Clarkson is not top 10 and as of last year finished 12th in the league. Brown should be able to beat them despite having a decent season

Apparently its too much for your self righteous snobby brain to handle. Or maybe its because you take a cheap shot at someone who isn't even making the comment to you.

Either way hope you enjoy coming to civilization from that bustling mecca of Potsdam this weekend. See you on Saturday.
                Your exact quote was "Need to keep momentum going in their favor when taking on opponents they now "should" beat. Not for nothing, but there's no excuse to tie BU and UNH, beat BU and Yale.... and lose to a team like Clarkson down the road (no disrespect to Knights fans)."

Well I'm a Clarkson fan and last year was last year but this is another brand New Year. And if you are making a comment about Clarkson that is a comment to me that I should be able to respond to. So there is no excuse for Brown to lose to Clarkson despite the fact that Clarkson has a better record in ECAC League games and overall. I could say the same thing about Clarkson losing to Brown. No excuse by the records this year. Am I saying that. No. We will see what happens on Saturday knight and if Brown wins so be it and if Clarkson wins I'll be happy because if I had money on the game I'd probably put it on Bruno.

And thanks for the "self rightous snobby brain" comment. At least you think I have a brain and you must have mixed me up with one of your IVY League bretheren . I still am having a tough time seeing what cheap shot I took at you. Did I take a cheap shot at your play by play man? Are you the play by play guy??? Yeah probably did but I have listened to Most announcers for the ECAC Schools and I have enjoyed listening to every one except your guy. When Clarkson plays Bruno on B2 at Meehan that who we get so I grit my teeth and bear it. Just the way it is man. The way he delivers his play by play and as it was stated in another post "homerism" combine to make for not a pleasant experience.

And I don't live in The North Country (I am in the Baltimoron, Md area) but I have to say that the people I met up there and know from there are just great people and I don't appreciate your "bustling mecca" of Potsdam snide comment.

And TimU thanks for the LGT . Hope SLU can soften up Brown for us but the way SLU plays at Meehan I am not holding my breath .
                Last edited by vicb; 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM.
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  Your exact quote was "Need to keep momentum going in their favor when taking on opponents they now "should" beat. Not for nothing, but there's no excuse to tie BU and UNH, beat BU and Yale.... and lose to a team like Clarkson down the road (no disrespect to Knights fans)."

And thanks for the "self rightous snobby brain" comment. At least you think I have a brain and you must have mixed me up with one of your IVY League bretheren . I still am having a tough time seeing what cheap shot I took at you. Did I take a cheap shot at your play by play man? Are you the play by play guy??? Yeah probably did but I have listened to Most announcers for the ECAC Schools and I have enjoyed listening to every one except your guy. When Clarkson plays Bruno on B2 at Meehan that who we get so I grit my teeth and bear it. Just the way it is man. The way he delivers his play by play and as it was stated in another post "homerism" combine to make for not a pleasant experience.
                  Vic, I can assure you that Humanoid is not the Brown play-by-play guy. The Brown radio team happen to be a good friends of mine personally, and unless there's something I'm missing, it's not Humanoid. That said, I will refrain from any comment defending or criticizing them. You're entitled to your opinion about the Brown radio broadcast, and, while I enjoy listening, others don't, and that's that.

Somebody please bring this discussion back to hockey and not a forum for people to throw eggs at one another behind the shroud of message board anonymity. Personally, I'm on the verge of retiring myself from this board. I realize I don't add much to the discussion, but the fact that there is so little discussion of actual hockey here is kind of sad and very disappointing, particularly considering where this team is and where it could potentially go. But, then again, maybe I'm expecting too much out of the people who post here.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post

I'm not certain that Yale has the defensemen to contend for a national title. They realistically only played five D against Brown - Dueck only saw limited action in the third, and Brown's top line (and spots of the others) had a speed advantage. Martin is a really solid D-man, and Peel has good offensive sight. I don't know enough about Jaskowiak or Trentowski, but they seemed to get caught on long shifts against Brown.

There aren't many teams that can roll out four lines that can score - and the Agostino guy definitely legitimizes that fourth line, especially if Bourbonais can give consistent, Mason-like minutes. I still think that Laganiere does too much skating around and doing nothing without using his size as much as he could.

This isn't Yale-hating for me. I think they're good, but the defense will run into trouble against teams that can match their forwards' speed. It's a fairly wide open race though. I don't know enough about the teams out West, but they could potentially match up well against the BC, UNH and other upper-level Hockey Easts of the world, should they get to those matchups - but the key will be consistent D-play. We know how good their offense is, no doubt.

On the other side, to bring it back to Brown, the Bears now have the burden of expectation. After the way the team played against Yale, vs. BU in Chicago, the first period at Yale, and for 58 minutes against UNH, there is no reason to think the team shouldn't show up. I mean, comparing that to the Princeton home game, the stinker against RPI, and the fairly flat performance against Dartmouth, and it's night and day. After seeing how Brown played to beat Yale, we have no reason to expect anything less than that effort on a consistent basis.

Comment

BrunoFan--don't lose heart; after all, your team gets to play the Larries, and thus are GUARANTEED to take at least a point. Maybe. Historically.
                      Also, since we fans can't do anything to actually influence the on-ice performance of our teams, what's wrong with talking about anything else? Sometimes the "other" stuff is way more interesting, anyway--just check out any RPI thread about a band, or lack thereof. Great fun, that. Or check out any Maine thread about somebody named "Timmay." Whoa!
                      Anyway, I'm certain the Larries are in for a real test this weekend, against one of the best-coached, most intense teams in the ECAC. And then they have to play Yale!

Comment

Originally posted by apple2k View Post
                        BrunoFan--don't lose heart; after all, your team gets to play the Larries, and thus are GUARANTEED to take at least a point. Maybe. Historically.
                        Also, since we fans can't do anything to actually influence the on-ice performance of our teams, what's wrong with talking about anything else? Sometimes the "other" stuff is way more interesting, anyway--just check out any RPI thread about a band, or lack thereof. Great fun, that. Or check out any Maine thread about somebody named "Timmay." Whoa!
                        Anyway, I'm certain the Larries are in for a real test this weekend, against one of the best-coached, most intense teams in the ECAC. And then they have to play Yale!
                        I think that the Brown-Yale trip, for some teams, has got to rank among the toughest in the league. Cornell-Colgate, at least this year, doesn't have the luster as it has in the past, and Harvard is not good, at least not right now. Maybe RPI-Union is as tough a consecutive night, but I'd like to think that the second night has got to be tough on this trip.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                          Vic, I can assure you that Humanoid is not the Brown play-by-play guy. The Brown radio team happen to be a good friends of mine personally, and unless there's something I'm missing, it's not Humanoid. That said, I will refrain from any comment defending or criticizing them. You're entitled to your opinion about the Brown radio broadcast, and, while I enjoy listening, others don't, and that's that.

Somebody please bring this discussion back to hockey and not a forum for people to throw eggs at one another behind the shroud of message board anonymity. Personally, I'm on the verge of retiring myself from this board. I realize I don't add much to the discussion, but the fact that there is so little discussion of actual hockey here is kind of sad and very disappointing, particularly considering where this team is and where it could potentially go. But, then again, maybe I'm expecting too much out of the people who post here.
                          Yes I am not the radio guy. I will gladly dispel any believe to the contrary, regardless of what you believe. I am not him, do not know him, never met him, and actually have no connection to Brown other than catching games when doing business in Providence (and no...not that kind of "business").

My apologies for offending anyone - bad day, bad week, bad month. And you're right - let's get back to hockey. I should know better especially in the wake of the RPI argument at the tail end of last year.
                          Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

OK back to hockey. As I said in my previous comment, if I had money on this game it would be on Brown. Clarkson has the better record overall but other than the win over RPI not much else to show in terms of signature wins. And they have had just some brutal games (UNO, Cornell, and especially Union ). Brown certainly can lay claim to the signature win catagory. And I must say any team that beats BU is a team I like .

In order for Clarkson to win Saturday I would say they can't fall behind, will need to score on their power less play, stay out of the penalty box and get some scoring from Zarbo, DeFazio and probably their defensemen (Borowiecki or Reufenach). One thing to watch is how many faceoffs Borowiecki on defense will take. He has been our best faceoff man the last few games on the power play. Hopefully Karpowich will not be too shell shocked from the Yale game and can have a strong outing also.
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

A sweep here would be phenomenal for Brown. It'd give us a ton of momentum going into the toughest weekend on our schedule (@RPI and Union) and would likely help us climb the standings. I just hope we don't suffer an emotional letdown from the Sunday Yale game. We should beat SLU (we always give them fits and they're having an off-year), but Clarkson is always a toss-up. Some years we play great against them, and other years we have some real stinkers.

I have to agree with BrunoFan00 that the Yale-Brown weekend is becoming the toughest for visiting teams. Ingalls has incredible fan support which the team feeds off of, and even though Meehan is usually lifeless, Brown has always had good records there over the years. And now that we're actually a good team, this should be even more true (though for some reason we're only 1-3-2 at home thus far; but I expect that to change). Up until recently, the two toughest trips were probably unquestionably the North Country and the CU/CU weekend. This year, however, they are clearly B/Y and RPI/U. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                                Somebody please bring this discussion back to hockey and not a forum for people to throw eggs at one another behind the shroud of message board anonymity. Personally, I'm on the verge of retiring myself from this board.
                                Welcome to Teh Internetz! Where anything goes.

Seriously: Every message board I've ever frequented goes off-topic occasionally, and anonymity does almost guarantee that brickbats will be thrown sometimes. Just keep on scrollin' past the unpleasantness, because there are good, interesting, well informed posts here as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X