Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

So let me get this straight...

Brown BEAT the #1 team in the nation, and our fans are talking about atrocious officiating and Yale's supposed "scandal" that they were cleared on. BrunoFan00's right - the story is more about Clemente (and the other Bears) than anything else.

I say we savor this moment. It's becoming more and more apparent that Brown knows how to play up to opponents. Need to keep momentum going in their favor when taking on opponents they now "should" beat. Not for nothing, but there's no excuse to tie BU and UNH, beat BU and Yale.... and lose to a team like Clarkson down the road (no disrespect to Knights fans).

That said, Brown is starting to gain traction against teams like Yale. They see them enough throughout the year to play strong against them, and the familiarity breeds an ability to beat them. I'm sure they will see each other down the road again at some point in the ECAC playoffs. Fans deserve it since it's developing into a great rivalry.
    Last edited by Humanoid; 01-17-2011, 03:41 PM.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post

Brown BEAT the #1 team in the nation, and our fans are talking about atrocious officiating and Yale's supposed "scandal" that they were cleared on. BrunoFan00's right - the story is more about Clemente (and the other Bears) than anything else.

I say we savor this moment. It's becoming more and more apparent that Brown knows how to play up to opponents. Need to keep momentum going in their favor when taking on opponents they now "should" beat. Not for nothing, but there's no excuse to tie BU and UNH, beat BU and Yale.... and lose to a team like Clarkson down the road (no disrespect to Knights fans).

That said, Brown is starting to gain traction against teams like Yale. They see them enough throughout the year to play strong against them, and the familiarity breeds an ability to beat them. I'm sure they will see each other down the road again at some point in the ECAC playoffs. Fans deserve it since it's developing into a great rivalry.
      Nope - tired of seeing Clemente stand on his head...hasn't this guy graduated already?!?

Good win for you guys...

Comment

Originally posted by Yale86 View Post
        Nope - tired of seeing Clemente stand on his head...hasn't this guy graduated already?!?

Good win for you guys...
        Sorry- he's only a junior

Unfortunately, he only seems to show up against you guys and BU :/ We've been praying for more consistency for his entire career.

Comment

Interestingly enough, Harry Z is a humble, gracious, and calm personality on camera. I just watched the postgame interviews of him, Coach Whittet, and Mike Clemente on the Brown athletic site and was surprised that his personality does not seem to be a reflection of his energetic, intense, and aggressive style of play (to say the least).

Comment

Originally posted by KFBS View Post
            On behalf of all Brown fans I apologize for this post. I'm hoping this post was just a result of the poster smashing his face into the keyboard and not an attempt at rational thought.
            You dont speak for me.
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              The Cahill "fiasco" was nothing but a poor attempt by an inept reporter to stir the pot. It's now old news as Yale was cleared by the NCAA on Saturday. Get with the times Onion Man.
              Patriots were 'cleared' by the NFL when it came to taping Super Bowl walkthrus, too.
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                Patriots were 'cleared' by the NFL when it came to taping Super Bowl walkthrus, too.
                The Patriots had more than just anonymous sources that appeared to have an obsession and a grudge, too.

Maybe Onion Man was the guy who sent the anonymous letters to the 11 other head coaches? He does seem to be the only person unwilling to drop this. Even the WCHAers with the superiority complex who are foaming at the mouth over Yale as #1 are dropping it.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Zolnierczyk named ECAC player of the week:
                  http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...20110118pdwyy8

Well deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    The Patriots had more than just anonymous sources that appeared to have an obsession and a grudge, too.

Maybe Onion Man was the guy who sent the anonymous letters to the 11 other head coaches? He does seem to be the only person unwilling to drop this. Even the WCHAers with the superiority complex who are foaming at the mouth over Yale as #1 are dropping it.
                    I actually agree with you and laughed at this. I think Satan just put on a sweater.

And Onion - who the hell brings the NFL into this? It's a college hockey board. Let's be real here people. Leave the NFL out of this..especially after the Fiasco In Foxboro on Sunday.

I'd leave a flaming bag of dog turd on your front lawn if I could for bringing up the Patriots' videotaping. Jeez.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

....Not for nothing, but there's no excuse to tie BU and UNH, beat BU and Yale.... and lose to a team like Clarkson down the road (no disrespect to Knights fans).
                      The obvious disrespect has been duley noted. Will be interesting to see what happens come Saturday knight. The only worse thing than losing Saturday is to have to put up with listening to your play by play guy on B2. UGH

LGT LGT LGT
                      Last edited by vicb; 01-18-2011, 06:19 PM.
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Great win on Sunday. Having not seen the Bears in person since their last home game vs. Providence I have to say I was overall impressed with the improvements in their game. I was especially pleased to see them consistently clearing the puck and having their control/timing worked out - perhaps to the best I've seen in years from a Brown team. Also Clemente played a superb game on Sunday.

I still think Brown struggles with the hesitancy to shoot the puck on the net instead opting for too many passes which often get broken up. Personally I'd prefer to pepper the net with shots and rack up some goals before trying complex and fancy passing schemes. Going into the net and shooting also forces the opponent to act, which often can result in a penalty. We always seem to try to get too fancy with passing or attempt one too many passes which all too often get broken up and result in a odd man rush the other way - that was a major issue during the painful Grillo years.

Couple things:

Does anyone know why Robertson isn't shooting? He has a very strong shot as we saw in several of the early season games. Since he pretty much isn't taking the shot on the PP - leading me to think that is coached? He's got a great shot I'd like to see him shoot more especially at the start of the PP see if he can sneak one in there. He's not the fastest skater and still has lots of room for development (dropping the puck into the stands with seconds left v. Yale allowing a face off in the Brown zone, and giving Yale the chance to pull their goalie for the advantage, could have been a critical mistake). He certainly seems to have strong potential - what will his role through the rest of the season?

What is the story with Carrier? He looked solid on Sunday. Has he been injured and now available or is this a change from the coaches?

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          The obvious disrespect has been duley noted. Will be interesting to see what happens come Saturday knight. The only worse thing than losing Saturday is to have to put up with listening to your play by play guy on B2. UGH

LGT LGT LGT
                          LGT?

The only point I was making is that Brown has beaten top 10 teams. Clarkson is not top 10 and as of last year finished 12th in the league. Brown should be able to beat them despite having a decent season

Apparently its too much for your self righteous snobby brain to handle. Or maybe its because you take a cheap shot at someone who isn't even making the comment to you.

Either way hope you enjoy coming to civilization from that bustling mecca of Potsdam this weekend. See you on Saturday.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

LGT?

The only point I was making is that Brown has beaten top 10 teams. Clarkson is not top 10 and as of last year finished 12th in the league. Brown should be able to beat them despite having a decent season

Apparently its too much for your self righteous snobby brain to handle. Or maybe its because you take a cheap shot at someone who isn't even making the comment to you.

Either way hope you enjoy coming to civilization from that bustling mecca of Potsdam this weekend. See you on Saturday.
                            LGT means "Let's Go Tech."

In addition to your initial point being completely wrong (if you have wins against teams above you, you should never lose to a team below you), your response to Vic was uncalled for.

I don't say tihs often, but . . . LGT.

Comment

LGT?

I believe LGT=Let's Go Tech. Something to do with an old cheer from Clarkson, I think.

Clearly, more home wins are needed to make a run at home ice. Two wins this weekend, and, depending what happens ahead of them, and the Bears are looking at not only a good shot at home ice, but also a potential first round bye. One of the issues of this year's team has been the inability to win consecutive games - outside of the Cornell-Colgate trip, it hasn't happened. And home wins have not happened, period, until Sunday (but, oh, what a first it was).

I'll be very interested to see if the energy that the Yale game generated can carry over to the weekend. We typically have played very well against SLU, and Clarkson has been a crapshoot the past few years - some years great, others not so much. I haven't seen them this year at all. For some reason, no matter how good or bad either team is, the St. Lawrence game has been one of our better results.

That said, inconsitency from week to week has been a concern, and the last two wins have required third period comebacks - and the first 40 minutes against Harvard were not good. The third period against Dartmouth was not good. And the first game against Yale was up and down, to say the least.

Someone had asked a question earlier about Carrier. He was out at the beginning of the season, injured I suppose. Since entering the lineup he has been a strong presence - took a huge hit against Yale when he put his head down, but has looked pretty decent. He skates well and has good eyes for the offensive third, and I have a feeling that once he scores, it will come in bunches. He reminds me a little bit of Paul Esdale at the start of Esdale's career- a little uncertainty, but you can see the skill is there.

The Bears played a different power play system against Yale - I don't recall seeing it the first half of the season - and the goal still seems to be loading up Robertson's shots. Opposing forwards are definitely respectful of it - he is not getting a lot of time to load up, and I think he had a couple blocked on Sunday - one by either Harry Z or Jack McLellan's back in the slot. Agreed - getting him back on the scoring track would be great - but it's clear that he is going to be special.

As to the radio broadcasts - I think everyone in the league has a homer, I like the enthusiasm, and feel this year's games have been more down the middle than in the past.

Someone earlier posted that this discussion board sometimes talks about everything but the hockey, which I think should be the epicenter of any educated discussion about the 2010-11 season. Just a personal observation, and one that will probably get me attacked, but figured I'd mention it in passing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                                I believe LGT=Let's Go Tech. Something to do with an old cheer from Clarkson, I think.

Clearly, more home wins are needed to make a run at home ice. Two wins this weekend, and, depending what happens ahead of them, and the Bears are looking at not only a good shot at home ice, but also a potential first round bye. One of the issues of this year's team has been the inability to win consecutive games - outside of the Cornell-Colgate trip, it hasn't happened. And home wins have not happened, period, until Sunday (but, oh, what a first it was).
                                Hell, if we don't start winning more games at home, I'm not sure I even want home-ice in the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, we currently have a winning (or at least .500) record on the road, which should bode well if we do have to travel for the playoffs.

That said, I'd love to see the playoffs back at Meehan. It's been too long.

Comment

Working...
                                X