Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    Great to knock Yale* off, but it wasn't a surprise to me. I knew the Bears would win. Brown is clearly a program on the rise.
    OK, I'll bite, what meme created the asterisk next to "Yale"?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      A) Wishing and hoping that the Cahill situation turns into an actual scandal, which it won't.

B) He thinks he's clever.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Darth...The ECAC wasn't formed until I believe 1982.
        Which is why every team is wearing patches this year celebrating the league's 29th anniversary, right?
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Not known for taking the high road, Yale Coach Keith "Please, don't ever accuse me of being classy" Allain stated after the January 16 game:

“(The Zolnierczyk line) is a good line, and they play them all the time. But we’ve got lines that we think are better.” (New Haven Register story)

There's no question that Yale has far more depth than Brown. But it's also a fact that Harry Zolnierczyk outskated two Yale defenders for the winning goal.

Comment

This is incorrect. The ECAC hockey league was formed in the mid-1960s. In the early 1980s Boston University, Boston College, Providence College, Northeastern University, the University of New Hampshire, and the University of Maine left ECAC hockey to form Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
              But it's also a fact that Harry Zolnierczyk outskated two Yale defenders for the winning goal.
              I'm surprised that someone with a potential misunderstanding of transitivity hasn't already started a thread about this one...

Comment

I am pretty certain Allain with always think he has better lines than the Brown top line, but I am not sure the facts actually bear that out (pun intended).

Browns top line is generally Zolniercyk, Maclellan coupled with a freshman (Hathaway, Goldberg) but has included the sophmore Zaires. Browns top scorers are easily equalling the Yale top scorer output (noting that Yale is definitely deeper) despite the fact that Yale has had a 'softer' non-conference schedule. I wonder what Browns top line numbers might be if they had the opportunity to play Sacred Heart and Holy Cross.

Looking at this weekend's numbers, in scoring Zolniercyk put up the most points of all players (both teams), and the Brown top line was a collective +7, while the Yale top line was a -4. I think the head-to-head data raises some questions about Allains beliefs.

No question the Yale team is talented and deep. They are scary with speed and skill, but that's not all it takes to create a great team. I think Allain is doing the players a bit of disservice with such a 'soft' out of conference schedule. It raises all kinds of questions like the ones above.

At the same time, I thought Whittet was a bit crazy with the Brown out-of-conference schedule this year, but he has made me a believer. But I guess that's why he's the coach and we are just chipping in comments from the 'cheap seats'.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                  I think the fact that Brown won makes our comments about the officiating even more credible. The bad officiating went both ways (although frankly a few calls against Brown were especially egregious) and seriously detracted from the fans' enjoyment of what was otherwise a fantastic contest between these teams.

I've been watching ECAC hockey since 1970, and what I'm seeing in recent years is very mouthy officials -- Giles Threadgold would be appalled at their constant yammering during game play -- who make a lot of bad calls. The fact that we now have four officials on the ice in college games should theoretically improve their ability to stay on top of the action and make judicious calls, but in fact the quality of officiating seems diluted instead of sharpened.

I won't even start on the clumsiness of too many linesmen who don't know how to stay out of the way, impeding both pucks and players to the detriment of the game.
                  Some of us were quite appalled with Giles Threadgold also. He was standard by which incompetent officiating was measured for many years.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Just noting how Yale's* wins this year should be vacated due to the Cahill fiasco.
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Just noting how Yale's* wins this year should be vacated due to the Cahill fiasco.
                      On behalf of all Brown fans I apologize for this post. I'm hoping this post was just a result of the poster smashing his face into the keyboard and not an attempt at rational thought.

Comment

No, it was formed in 1961 and included 28 teams then.

Source: http://www.ecachockey.com/men/history/M_timeline.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Waterboy66 View Post
                          I thought Whittet was a bit crazy with the Brown out-of-conference schedule this year, but he has made me a believer.
                          I know, right? When I saw BU on our schedule, I thought: WHAT??? Not so crazy, I guess. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Some of us were quite appalled with Giles Threadgold also. He was standard by which incompetent officiating was measured for many years.
                            Ha ha. He wasn't popular with fans, for sure! Giles was tough in an era when the rules were looser and a much higher level of hard contact and fisticuffs was tolerated, so everyone complained about him. The old cheer (backed by band music) "Eat it ref!" rocked Meehan in those days.

Yeah, he could be a bit "cuckoo" too and obviously loved hamming it up on the ice. But he generally didn't yack everyone to death like so many of today's refs do -- I think they are wannabe coaches. Giles was pretty much all business.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                              “(The Zolnierczyk line) is a good line, and they play them all the time. But we’ve got lines that we think are better.” (New Haven Register story)
                              Oh man. Stay classy there, Coach Allain. How about trying this instead, "The Zolnierczyk line is one of the best in the country right now, and today we simply couldn't contain them well enough to beat Brown." That's a bit more to the point.

Comment

The Cahill "fiasco" was nothing but a poor attempt by an inept reporter to stir the pot. It's now old news as Yale was cleared by the NCAA on Saturday. Get with the times Onion Man.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X