Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Just saw in my morning paper that a wake that I thought was going to be Monday is actually today, so I will not be making the trek. I have two free electronic tickets that can be e-mailed if anyone would like them. Once again, thanks for the help. Please email me at Ltsatch@yahoo.com or reply here if you want them.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Today's game is being broadcast on local radio via AM790 for those in southern New England, according to the link on brownbears.com.

Comment

Excellent outing by the Bears today. Harry Z's winner was spectacular. His speed is impressive, as he just blew past 2 Yale defenders.

The team as a whole played very well, essentially controlling lots of the play, and even enduring quite a series of bad officiating calls. It's clear the referees know who is supposed to win these games, and was clearly helping Yale along. Unfortunately Yale got outplayed.

Congrats Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterboy66 View Post
          Excellent outing by the Bears today. Harry Z's winner was spectacular. His speed is impressive, as he just blew past 2 Yale defenders.The team as a whole played very well, essentially controlling lots of the play, and even enduring quite a series of bad officiating calls. It's clear the referees know who is supposed to win these games, and was clearly helping Yale along. Unfortunately Yale got outplayed.Congrats Bears.
          Two questions - who was officiating? How was the crowd?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
            Two questions - who was officiating? How was the crowd?
            The officials were awful all night; don't get me started.

The crowd wasn't too bad; a good number of Yale fans made the trip and Brown must have pushed the game in the local youth hockey community because there were a ton of kids in jerseys running around. However, the fact that students are still on break and the Pats had such a huge game at the same time really drove down the attendance.

I just posted a fairly long observatory remark about the game on the Score Update thread, so I'll be concise here. This was probably the best I've seen us perform since the 03-04 season. We simply outworked and outhustled Yale all game long and deserved to win. Clemente played a great game and the offense was buzzing and creating chances left and right. The refs, as Waterboy put it, knew who was supposed to win and called the game completely in Yale's favor (although they admittedly made some bad calls on Yale, as well; perhaps they just suck altogether?), but we still found ways to remain in the game and come back from two different deficits. What a performance! If we played like this every night, we'd probably be a top ten team.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
              The officials were awful all night; don't get me started.

The crowd wasn't too bad; a good number of Yale fans made the trip and Brown must have pushed the game in the local youth hockey community because there were a ton of kids in jerseys running around. However, the fact that students are still on break and the Pats had such a huge game at the same time really drove down the attendance.

I just posted a fairly long observatory remark about the game on the Score Update thread, so I'll be concise here. This was probably the best I've seen us perform since the 03-04 season. We simply outworked and outhustled Yale all game long and deserved to win. Clemente played a great game and the offense was buzzing and creating chances left and right. The refs, as Waterboy put it, knew who was supposed to win and called the game completely in Yale's favor (although they admittedly made some bad calls on Yale, as well; perhaps they just suck altogether?), but we still found ways to remain in the game and come back from two different deficits. What a performance! If we played like this every night, we'd probably be a top ten team.
              The two refs were Gilbert and Litterio. The third period call against Robertson was awful, and there were a couple of non-calls against Yale that were just as bad. That said, they gave the Bears a penalty shot in the first. The 10-minute against Harry was someone taking something he said too personally, Jack Millea-style. It probably led to Harry's fresh legs on the two third-period goals, however.

That said, that the Bears were able to kill the Robertson penalty effectively and then get the game-winner is a credit to their character, especially after they were butchered by truly awful officiating at Yale the night before.

The story of this game is not the officiating. Clemente played pretty consistently in goal all weekend - he saw pucks, made the stops he could have. There was nothing he could have done on either Yale goal, truthfully, and he made a couple of other stops, particularly one on Cahill in the third, that saved the Bears' bacon.

Also impressive, to a degree, was the play of the other lines. I thought Juola fit in well with the shifts he got, and defensively this was the best I think we've played all year. Pace, consistency, head-up defense against the best forwards in the league. Now, some consistent play at home, a couple wins on the road, and home ice in some form or another should be a foregone conclusion.

Comment

BROWN 3 - Yale 2!!!

With all the dives by the Yale players, I wondered whether I'd walked into a swim meet by mistake.

This was one of the poorest called hockey games I've ever attended. The men in stripes did an almost perfect job trying to ensure a Yale win. Unfortunately -- for them, as well as for the Elis -- Brown has a great player named Harry Zolnierczyk.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
                  This was one of the poorest called hockey games I've ever attended. The men in stripes did an almost perfect job trying to ensure a Yale win.
                  I hate to whine about refs, but honestly these guys were terrible. I was almost on top of the play when Harry got his penalty that led to a 10-minute penalty, and it was absurd -- the Yale player clocked him with a blatant roundhouse punch as Harry was BACKING AWAY from a small fracas beside the Yale net. Harry didn't even retaliate, just pushed his helmet back on. Yes, the helmet the Yale player knocked off with that punch. The next thing we saw was Harry being skated over to the penalty box. Outrageously bad call, perhaps the worst of many today.

The game itself was as others have described already: Fast, exciting, full of offensive punch at both ends, some great saves by both goalies.

Harry's breakaway goal with less than a minute to play was the sweetest thing I've seen since Damien Prescott '98 was routinely streaking up-ice to shellac opposing goalies. Perfect! Not to take anything away from MacLellan, who seems to get better at moving and shooting the puck with every game. It's exciting that Jack is only a junior and will be back next year.

I'm glad I didn't bother staying home to watch the Patriots. Talk about Choke City. Instead I got to see one of the best games at Meehan in quite some time.

Comment

Brown skating circles around yale fan's egos...

Comment

Kudos to Brown, you outplayed Yale and deserved the win. Why would you use the excuse of poor officiating to diminish your teams accomplishment. Your team is chippy and physical and will take penalties. I called Harry the "Steve Avery" of your team, talented , but also your teams own worst enemy. Enjoy the win, not sure we want to see you in Atlantic City.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        Why would you use the excuse of poor officiating to diminish your teams accomplishment. Your team is chippy and physical and will take penalties.
                        I think the fact that Brown won makes our comments about the officiating even more credible. The bad officiating went both ways (although frankly a few calls against Brown were especially egregious) and seriously detracted from the fans' enjoyment of what was otherwise a fantastic contest between these teams.

I've been watching ECAC hockey since 1970, and what I'm seeing in recent years is very mouthy officials -- Giles Threadgold would be appalled at their constant yammering during game play -- who make a lot of bad calls. The fact that we now have four officials on the ice in college games should theoretically improve their ability to stay on top of the action and make judicious calls, but in fact the quality of officiating seems diluted instead of sharpened.

I won't even start on the clumsiness of too many linesmen who don't know how to stay out of the way, impeding both pucks and players to the detriment of the game.

Comment

LTsatch, I think you mean Sean Avery. And I don't agree with the comparison. I'm a Rangers fan and I can't stand having Avery on the team. All he does is cause trouble. No point production whatsoever (16 this year so far). Sure, Harry Z causes more than his fair share of trouble, but he scores, too. He's averaging over 1.4 points per game and will more than likely register 30 for the second consecutive year (a figure Avery is likely to surpass as well, but keep in mind that he plays 82 games and Harry will play 29). As a fan of both teams, I would gladly trade Avery for almost nothing, but Harry is indispensable.

Comment

Sorry about that, Steve was a basketball player I think? Believe me, Yale is missing a Harry type player who will crash the net, we have too much finesse. For every pretty goal you get in the ECAC season three others are scored off of rebounds near the crease. Brown proved it today, hard work equals wins.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Great to knock Yale* off, but it wasn't a surprise to me. I knew the Bears would win. Brown is clearly a program on the rise.
                              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Darth...The ECAC wasn't formed until I believe 1982.
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X