Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

6-1 final score!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqsT4xnKZPg
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

This is exactly what we needed after a tough stretch of pretty poor efforts. Clemente stood on his head and made several outstanding saves to keep us in the game, and the offense capitalized on its opportunities, which were much fewer in quantity than BU's (though in terms of quality, they were probably equal). The defense finally helped Clemente out and didn't leave him stranded all game, and, let's be honest- BU didn't show up to play today. Great win, and hopefully we can keep rolling tomorrow against either UND or MSU (probably Notre Dame). We have a touch stretch of the schedule with the game at hand, Harvard and Dartmouth on the road, Yale twice, and the always-grueling SLU/Clarkson weekend. If we can get some solid wins, it would help our PairWise Ranking a ton.
      Last edited by kdiff77; 01-01-2011, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to Brown on a tough, well-played game. Good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Ranger View Post
          Congratulations to Brown on a tough, well-played game. Good luck the rest of the way.
          That's very classy of you. Thanks!

Comment

Here are links to interviews with Brown University coach Brendan Whittet and captain Harry Zolnierczyk following Brown's 6-1 victory over Boston University. I'm very proud of our intelligent, honest, no-nonsense coach. Listen in particular to what Brendan says about the pride in wearing the Brown jersey. In his articulate remarks, Harry displays a growing level of maturity, as befits a Brown captain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ7iR...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jspUG...layer_embedded

Comment

I didn't get to watch the Minnesota St game, but it looks rough on the box score. Clemente's gotta stop with this "hot one game, terrible the next" thing. Inconsistency in net has plagued us since Yann Danis graduated (yeah, you can argue that D'Alba was solid between the pipes, but every team he was on sucked, so it clearly did not matter). Clemente somehow gets up for big games - playoffs, games against big-name teams like Cornell, Harvard, and BU - but then looks pretty mediocre in most other games. And he's started almost every game this year, which does not bode well in terms of the other two goalies, because if Whittet isn't willing to pull a guy giving up an average of almost 4 per game with a save percentage well below .900, the other two guys must look real crappy in practice. Unfortunately, none of them will be graduating next year either, so unless one of them drops out, we probably won't be getting some stud freshman or transfer (like PC did with Beaudry). I vaguely recall Yale once carrying 4 goalies on their roster back in the late 90's, but that was not a particularly widespread fad- in fact, I haven't seen it since, so there's no reason to believe Whittet would be willing to use a precious roster spot on a 4th goalie. Unless Borelli or DiFilippo suddenly breaks out or Clemente solves his inconsistency problems, it looks like we'll be stuck with a stable of underperforming goalies for another season.

And yes, I do realize that our subpar defense has a lot to do with us giving up 4 goals a game, but the goalies have given up more than a few really soft goals this year. When the offense has scored at least twice in every game and is averaging well over 3, a team should not have a sub-.500 record. Someone on defense needs to step up- and a lot of the time, that person needs to be the goalie. The team feeds off of good goalie play like no other position.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                I vaguely recall Yale once carrying 4 goalies on their roster back in the late 90's, but that was not a particularly widespread fad- in fact, I haven't seen it since, so there's no reason to believe Whittet would be willing to use a precious roster spot on a 4th goalie.
                SLU carries 4 goalies now (all 4 have seen playing time this year, although mainly 2 goalies have played), and has carried 4 numerous times in the past decade. Although I will agree that it isn't very common.

Congrats on the win vs BU this past weekend. Not really looking forward to making the trip up from NYC in a few weeks to see the game, especially given our usual lack of success up there.

Comment

Also, I love that we garner no votes in the polls this week after demolishing BU, which only drops four spots to #14 after an 0-1-1 weekend (0-2 if you count shootouts). Yes, we negated some of the progress by losing by so much to Minnesota St, but I really do not see the logic of the voters in this one. If beating the #10 team in the country by 5 goals isn't significant enough to get you respect, then the team you beat should at least drop a bunch of spots. But no, I guess it's more logical that the Brown win was a fluke, that Brown is mediocre, and that despite BU's inability to win more than 2 of their last 12 games, they are still a top-20 team. All of the above makes sense and works together seamlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                    SLU carries 4 goalies now (all 4 have seen playing time this year, although mainly 2 goalies have played), and has carried 4 numerous times in the past decade. Although I will agree that it isn't very common.

Congrats on the win vs BU this past weekend. Not really looking forward to making the trip up from NYC in a few weeks to see the game, especially given our usual lack of success up there.
                    SLU often carrying 4 goalies does ring a bell now, thanks for the refresher.

And I look forward to the SLU game, not only because we usually seem to give you guys fits, but because the SLU (and Clarkson, for that matter) fans on these boards are usually classy and fun to have discussions with.

Comment

Also, I love that we garner no votes in the polls this week after demolishing BU, which only drops four spots to #14 after an 0-1-1 weekend (0-2 if you count shootouts). Yes, we negated some of the progress by losing by so much to Minnesota St, but I really do not see the logic of the voters in this one. If beating the #10 team in the country by 5 goals isn't significant enough to get you respect, then the team you beat should at least drop a bunch of spots. But no, I guess it's more logical that the Brown win was a fluke, that Brown is mediocre, and that despite BU's inability to win more than 2 of their last 12 games, they are still a top-20 team. All of the above makes sense and works together seamlessly.
                      Right now I'm much less worried about getting votes in an ultimately meaningless poll than playing more consistent hockey. I know that the coaching staff and the players agree with me. If their pretty good offense remains on course and their defensive play improves, the Bears are bound to win a few games and garner votes on the polls. But more importantly, their RPI will also begin to rise, putting them in contention for an NCAA tournament berth. The raw talent is certainly there, but the team is young and yet to pull it all together. As Brendan likes to say, it's still a process.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                        Right now I'm much less worried about getting votes in an ultimately meaningless poll than playing more consistent hockey. I know that the coaching staff and the players agree with me. If their pretty good offense remains on course and their defensive play improves, the Bears are bound to win a few games and garner votes on the polls. But more importantly, their RPI will also begin to rise, putting them in contention for an NCAA tournament berth. The raw talent is certainly there, but the team is young and yet to pull it all together. As Brendan likes to say, it's still a process.
                        I agree, but I think you missed the point. It was more of an indictment of the voters for having no clue than it was a complaint that we aren't getting votes.

Comment

Tonight's game vs. Harvard is being broadacast locally on AM790.

Comment

Was anyone at Harvard last night? It sounds like DiFilippo played well in net, but I'll reserve any kind of judgement for someone who was there in person (or who at least watched it online). Will he start again tonight, or will Whittet go back to Clemente?

Comment

Was anyone at Harvard last night? It sounds like DiFilippo played well in net, but I'll reserve any kind of judgement for someone who was there in person (or who at least watched it online). Will he start again tonight, or will Whittet go back to Clemente?
                              He definitely improved as the game went along. Not a whole lot he could have done on the three goals allowed. He did leave out some juicy rebounds in the first period that Harvard simply couldn't bury, however, he seemed a lot more poised in the third period.

I would think he starts again tonight. He's not as athletic as Clemente, but he doesn't get caught out of position either, which Clemente does from time to time. This makes him a little more consistent in my opinion and right now all Brown needs in net in someone that can hold the opposition to 3 goals a game.

Comment

Originally posted by KFBS View Post
                                He definitely improved as the game went along. Not a whole lot he could have done on the three goals allowed. He did leave out some juicy rebounds in the first period that Harvard simply couldn't bury, however, he seemed a lot more poised in the third period.

I would think he starts again tonight. He's not as athletic as Clemente, but he doesn't get caught out of position either, which Clemente does from time to time. This makes him a little more consistent in my opinion and right now all Brown needs in net in someone that can hold the opposition to 3 goals a game.
                                When I've seen him pay I've noticed the same things about his rebounds and positioning. The rebounds are not a good thing, but he's definitely better at positioning than Clemente, who has given up quite a few howlers simply because he's not where he should be. You're right that we just need some consistency back there, so I agree that he should start tonight, because although Clemente is much more talented, he shows little hope of ever displaying that talent on a regular basis.

Thanks for the insights.

Comment

Working...
                                X