Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    Good to see us come back from a deficit late, because lately, we've been blowing leads (Princeton, UNH, BU, Union). I wasn't there and didn't watch, so I can't attest to how we looked, but it seems like we slumbered through two periods and then woke up in the third. That's not so reassuring.

But hey, we're 0-0-3 against Hockey East opponents. That's not too bad.
    Especially when you consider who two of those opponents are.

My only concern is that UNH and BU took Brown very lightly and got shocked that week against a team riding a crest. I'm very worried for New Year's Day and Brown-BU Round 2. If BU comes out fired up, and Brown's team was smoke and mirrors the last couple of weeks, then we could be in some serious trouble.

Also, someone outside of the first line needs to do something. They can't possibly play the whole year relying on Jackie Mac and a couple of tubes of that goo the players rub on their body before the game.
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by brown_penguin View Post
      ::sigh:: Maybe next year.

Also, someone at the game asked me what the Brown goal song was and I just shrugged and answered "techno?"

haha, anyone know?
      I still think Clemente should do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY16w4Z7WeQ&NR=1

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
        I still think Clemente should do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY16w4Z7WeQ&NR=1
        haha! Gotta keep yourself occupied when play is at the other end of the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
          Congrats to Yann Davis who got elected into the ECAC Top 50 this week.
          Who's Yann Davis? Is he related to Pete Davis, of Davis Lounge fame?

Comment

If I had a chance to offer suggestions personally to Brendan, I'd tell him to focus on defense and discipline for now. . . . A former defender and defensive coach in particular should be embarrassed by this problem.
            An embarrassed Coach Whittet thanks you for your thoughtful advice.

Comment

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...ach_midseason/

Glad to see that Robertson got recognized for his great start, but I have to feel like Maclellan got shafted. He has the 2nd-highest points-per-game in the country (1.82), and yet he didn't even make first team. He's 28th nationally in scoring with 20 points even though Brown has played the least amount of games in the country.

Hopefully he keeps his great play up so more people will take notice of him. And hopefully some of his teammates will start stepping up; it's pretty much The Harry and Jack Show at this point.

Comment

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...ach_midseason/

Glad to see that Robertson got recognized for his great start, but I have to feel like Maclellan got shafted. He has the 2nd-highest points-per-game in the country (1.82), and yet he didn't even make first team. He's 28th nationally in scoring with 20 points even though Brown has played the least amount of games in the country.

Hopefully he keeps his great play up so more people will take notice of him.
                It's nice that Robertson received recognition for being an impact freshman. He's a good player and all around solid kid (Engineering major). However, I still think that so far Brown's best new player has been Matt Wahl. He's not flashy, but makes very few mistakes. I predict that he'll develop into one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.

The other Brown freshman who has impressed me is Garnett Hathaway. He has size, skating ability and excellent hockey sense. The move directly from prep school (Andover) to Division I hockey is hard to make, but he seems to be adjusting well and getting better with every game.

As to Jack Mclellan, he's become one of the most exciting players to watch in the ECAC. The pro scouts are taking notice. Three of them came to Meehan to watch him at a recent game.

Comment

It was great to watch former Brown captain Aaron Volpatti'10 make his NHL debut with the Vancouver Canucks this past Saturday. Wearing number 54, Aaron had about ten shifts at left wing and gave a good account of himself, with several solid hits and one shot on goal. Combined with his overall strength, his excellent skating ability will be one of his major assets as he pursues a professional hockey career.

Aaron's parents were interviewed in the third period of the Hockey Night in Canada broadcast. Father Tony was noticeably wearing a Brown hat.

The broadcasters kept mentioning that Vancouver had two Ivy Leaguers on its roster, the other one being former Dartmouth captain Tanner Glass. In fact, Volpatti skated on the same line as Glass for his first shift. I think they overlapped one season in the ECAC (2006-2007, when Glass was a senior and Volpatti was a freshman).

Comment

Aaron Volpatti got his first career NHL goal tonight against the St. Louis Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhewah_PQkc

Congrats!

Comment

Euler, I've also been impressed with Wahl. He's been very consistent and has logged a lot of minutes. Whittet already seems to trust him as one of our more reliable defenders, and I would concur.

As for Hathaway, he hasn't exactly blown me away, but I do see plenty of talent and he is certainly giving it his all, which is commendable. Also, when Carrier has played (and he has missed several games), he's looked like one of our more talented freshmen. The class as a whole looks like they can play with the older and more experienced guys on the other teams, which is good because we have 10 of them, I believe. However, scoring is a serious deficiency of theirs, minus Robertson. Hopefully the group asa whole will give Harry, Jack, Robertson, Zaires, and Buvinow some support. Outside of those five, we don't seem to have much production. Also, Zaires has been an assist monster, but only has two goals.

Nice to see Volpatti doing so well! Hopefully he will be followed to the pros by several of his former teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by brown_penguin View Post
                        Aaron Volpatti got his first career NHL goal tonight against the St. Louis Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhewah_PQkc

Congrats!
                        Volpatti scores after a huge hit by Tanner Glass. Good Ivy League combination.

Comment

As for Hathaway, he hasn't exactly blown me away, but I do see plenty of talent and he is certainly giving it his all, which is commendable.
                          Hathaway does a lot of the little things right. He has very good skills and with proper coaching (which he's getting), he should develop into a solid Division I player. Incidentally, though he wasn't drafted, Hathaway was Brown's highest ranked player (according to Central Scouting) this past spring, followed by defenseman Marc-Antoine Carrier.

Comment

Can we please ask Brendan's team to keep it down? I know there's 10 minutes left, but we can really hear those screams coming from the BU Terriers behind the woodshed. It's not okay to take them back there and beat them as senselessly as they are.

6-1 halfway through the third. How Jackie Mac isn't in the Hobey Baker discussion is a travesty.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

This is fantastic. Clemente playing well and the offense is a machine. Great to smack around a team like BU. I can't wait to see how this team does vs. Yale in a few weeks.
                              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                                How Jackie Mac isn't in the Hobey Baker discussion is a travesty.
                                Who's even talking about the Hobey right now? Way too early.

Comment

Working...
                                X