Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Nice game from Brown last night. As a BU fan I was less than happy with Harry Z's hit but chippy-ness aside, I was impressed

Comment

Were the games with UNH and BU with home and home games?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
        I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that these were standalones - and after our result with both of them, I don't think they'll be that fired up to play us again any time soon. I would think that other Hockey East opponents in the upper echelon of that league will replace UNH and BU. I've heard that UMass-Lowell is a likely opponent, possibly with a home-and-home with them.

As for the past four and the "first half" to this point - it's all for naught if the Bears get nothing at home against Union and RPI. Harry Z's penalty (in the third) against BU hurts doubly, since he's out against Union, a very good hockey team. Four points, and you find yourself in the home ice or even first round bye discussion. Two losses, and you fall back to the pack.

And let's not forget RPI. My guess is they will be remembering what transpired last March VERY CLEARLY.

On another note, and my final thoughts on the Harry penalty: Coach Whittet's comment on Harry was spot-on. He plays on the edge, and he needs to reign in the chippiness a little bit. He's trying to fill an agitator role, but can do so without the egregious penalties. One of the BU players indicated that they will remember the hit when the teams play in January - what exactly does he mean? Does that mean that the CCHA officials will automatically render an intent-to-injure penalty, or will BU be able to handle their retribution more subtly and legally? I would hate to see that game turn into a slugfest, since at 5x5, the BU game was more even than things initially appeared by looking at the statsheet.

Final thought on the BU game: Credit the Bears' mental frame of mind. Jack Millea brutalized them with a marginal call on Farnham to give BU a 5x3, and the Carrier penalty was a mystery. Clemente was checked into the goal with a puck covered to account for BU's second goal - and after Harry Z's ejection (the easiest call they had to make), the team kept its composure and stayed focused on the task at hand. Just an observation, but impressive to this fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunofan View Post
          Six of a possible eight points Colgate, Cornell, UNH, BU......not bad!
          It's not just that the Bears got six of a possible eight points, but HOW they did it: playing a creative, up-tempo, no-excuse, in-your-face brand of hockey in four of the toughest rinks in the east. These kids believe that they can play with anyone.

Wouldn't you agree that good coaching has a lot to do with it?

Comment

They're not home and home games. Brendan hopes, however, that some day in the near future the BUs, BCs and UNHs will agree to play at Meehan again.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd10 View Post
              Nice game from Brown last night. As a BU fan I was less than happy with Harry Z's hit but chippy-ness aside, I was impressed
              Thanks for the kind words.

BU is a contender for the national title. Brown isn't there yet, but we're moving in the right direction. The Bears are skilled and well-coached. They play an interesting brand of hockey, relying on speedy forwards, mobile defensemen, and a simple but effective 1-3-1 backchecking system, which is fun to watch. The skill level will continue to improve as the new recruiting classes join the program in 2011 and 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                Yes. I believe it has nearly everything to do with it. I am one happy Brown fan!

Comment

Some comments by a BU player and coach on the Boston hockey blog: http://thebostonhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Jack Parker: "We’ve seen [Brown] play. They’re a very good hockey team. I tried to explain to my team that they’re the Merrimack of the ECAC. They’ve been a cellar-dweller for a long time, now all of a sudden they’re a real good team. They’re playing very hard, and they’ve got enough talent to beat you but usually they beat you by outworking you and they certainly tried to outwork us tonight."

David Warsofsky (defenseman): "To tie a team like that, on paper they might not be the best team, but they work real hard and if they keep it up, they’ll go somewhere in this league. … They were real physical. They finish their hits everywhere. They didn’t let up. They played smart although they took some penalties. Other than that, they’re a pretty smart team. They played their systems well. I think it was a game of who was going to outwork the other one."
                  "Hopefully we’ll have a couple of responses for some of those cheap hits they had tonight."

Comment

Lot's of good discussion about the games over the last week. Watched a few, and they were great hockey to watch. While these teams Brown play give Bruno credit for working hard I think they are also missing the point that Brown also has great coaching and some serious skills. While the effort has been good, so has the coaching and the skill level.

A year ago after 8 games this team was 0-7-1 and had just lost to Bentley. Now they are disappointed not having won games at both UNH and BU. What a difference a year makes.

Congrats to coach Whittet, his staff, and the team.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                      Final thought on the BU game: Credit the Bears' mental frame of mind. Jack Millea brutalized them with a marginal call on Farnham to give BU a 5x3, and the Carrier penalty was a mystery. Clemente was checked into the goal with a puck covered to account for BU's second goal - and after Harry Z's ejection (the easiest call they had to make), the team kept its composure and stayed focused on the task at hand. Just an observation, but impressive to this fan.
                      Great observation - keeping their composure will be a key to a sweep this weekend. You can expect U to have its usual chipiness against Brown and RPI, even with some key personnel losses, won't forget Brown's physical play in the playoffs. If Brown keeps its head in the game, Brown should win as it certainly has the palyers and coaching to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                        It's not just that the Bears got six of a possible eight points, but HOW they did it: playing a creative, up-tempo, no-excuse, in-your-face brand of hockey in four of the toughest rinks in the east. These kids believe that they can play with anyone.

For sure. Did you get the impression from my joy of taking 6 of 8 points from tough opponents as a slight on the coach?

Comment

Forcing myself to "spam" everyone today (well the threads of teams I've shot this season at least).

Having a Cyber Monday sale on http://HockeyPhotography.com - 10% off prints with coupon code 2010-10 (enter on checkout page) or 15% off orders of $150 or more with coupon code 2010-15.

Brown galleries can be found here - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelte...00055XEBvV_jxU - or enter your favorite player's name in the search box here - http://hockeyphotography.photoshelter.com/search-page

Prints make great holiday gifts for yourself or someone else.

Thanks,
                          -Melissa

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                          HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                          HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                            Forcing myself to "spam" everyone today (well the threads of teams I've shot this season at least).

Having a Cyber Monday sale on [etc]
                            Thanks,
                            -Melissa
                            When did spam become allowed in the Fan Forum?

Comment

This weekend has #2 (Yale), #13 (Union), #16 (RPI), and #22 (Brown)ranked teams coming to Meehan. When was the last time Meehan had 4 ranked teams for a weekend series? 1965 NCAA Frozen Four? If this game is not a sell-out or close to it, when will that happen?

Comment

This weekend has #2 (Yale), #13 (Union), #16 (RPI), and #22 (Brown)ranked teams coming to Meehan. When was the last time Meehan had 4 ranked teams for a weekend series? 1965 NCAA Frozen Four? If this game is not a sell-out or close to it, when will that happen?
                                Yale?
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X