Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
    Hey Brown fans, a small contingent of our devout Bobcat following will be heading to Providence tomorrow. What kind of crowd are you guys expecting? Any decent bars or restaurants in the area? Any predictions for the game? Let's start some banter.
    Providence has dozens of outstanding restaurants, particularly in the downtown and Federal Hill areas, but for a pre-game meal I'd stick to the places on Thayer Street, which cuts through the Brown campus. There are many choices in the Thayer Street area, but PARAGON (corner of Thayer and Angell) and KARTABAR (on Thayer, between Meeting and Cushing) are probably the safest bets. Both places have liquor licenses.

Tickets should be easily available, but avoid section W, which is under my command.

As BrunoFan00 said, due to the construction of the new Athletic Center and Swimming Pool, parking in the Meehan Auditorium area will be at a premium. Arrive early, find a place to park, eat, come to the game.

Comment

How is Clemente doing? Will he be playing this weekend? Any injury scratches?

Comment

Pretty good game from both sides tonight. The draw definitely felt like a win for us, coming back from a 2-goal deficit and then holding on in the latter stages of overtime.

The new jerseys are an improvement over the old ones, but I think there's a bit too much red, and I frankly hate the white helmets. It looks very similar to what we wore in the 90's when Whittet was a player here. I love the pants with the white and red stripe on the side, but I feel as though the rest of the uniform could use some improvement.

We had spectacular puck movement tonight! I think we should have shot more from the point, but QU did a pretty good job of taking away shooting lanes. But the offensive passing was absolutely tremendous.

It's too bad someone high-sticked the puck into the net in the first to negate the goal, because had he not done so, the puck would have trickled in anyway (or so it seemed from my vantage point behind the net), and the game would have ended 4-3 Brown. But no use crying over spilled milk; it was a solid performance and a good result. Cheers to the QU fans who made the trip!

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
          Pretty good game from both sides tonight.
          I guess that depends on your perspective!

Cheers to the QU fans who made the trip!
          While we had a respectable showing, I was impressed with the Bruno crowd. It was the largest I've seen in the past 4 years that I've been coming, and pretty loud too.

Good luck the rest of the way, at least until late February when we see you again in Hamden.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I came back to campus Saurday to see both the football and hockey games. Football was really disappointing. As to hockey, three words come to mind - "work in progress." I am sure Brendan and staff will make good use of the next two weeks before play resumes,

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
              I came back to campus Saurday to see both the football and hockey games. Football was really disappointing. As to hockey, three words come to mind - "work in progress." I am sure Brendan and staff will make good use of the next two weeks before play resumes,
              I also went to both games. Football was a huge letdown, and then hockey compounded the letdown of a sports day. I thought after the first period we looked sloppy and disorganized, and most of the players (Farnham and Zoly in particular) were more concerned with picking fights and roughing Princeton up than with actually playing hockey. Princeton easily adapted to our style of play after the first period. It's very simply: you just need to clog the middle, and then we're useless. The puck movement was, again, fantastic, but in terms of execution, we are seriously deficient. I don't know how DiFilippo looked last week, but I wasn't impressed with what I saw. He was slow to react, gave up some of the juiciest rebounds I've ever seen, and in congruence with the rebound problems, often did not simply cover the puck to escape danger when he should have, thus leading to more opportunities for Princeton in high-pressure situations. I hate to rip on the kid (because I'm sure that's what it seems like I'm doing), but I really wasn't very confident with him in net for us.

However, it wasn't all negatives- it's very encouraging to see us moving the puck the way we do, and rarely squandering possession in dangerous situations, which has been one of our biggest problems over the years. We seem to have cut down on the number of breakaways we give up, which I would posit has been another of our significant downfalls over Grillo's and the beginning of Whittet's tenures. Discipline remains a problem, but I do like the scrappy, in-your-face, cocky style we're playing. We don't look intimidated by anyone (granted, we weren't playing top-notch opponents this weekend) and we dictate the flow of the game for the most part. It's a great departure from the Grillo era, in which the players sat back and sulked while other teams would drive the puck to the net and light the lamp repeatedly. Some of the freshman look like they have promise, especially the defenseman Robertson, who ripped a nasty clapper from the blue to tie it up in the third on Friday (which, I think, makes him our leading scorer with 3 goals).

It's still going to be a transition year, especially with such a young team, but the cornerstone for future success has been laid. Whittet's ultimate vision for consistent success is easily attainable for players of this caliber playing with such fire, intensity, and pride. I'm anxiously anticipating the next several years, and hoping that we can find some moderate success this year. Another good playoff run is certainly in the cards, and I don't see us finishing lower than 10th this year.

Comment

Princeton easily adapted to our style of play after the first period. It's very simply: you just need to clog the middle, and then we're useless.
                Maybe 'useless' isn't the most accurate word. Brown took 29 shots in the last two periods. The Princeton goalie, who played extremely well, made 28 saves during that stretch. Under Roger Grillo the team often didn't take 29 shots over the whole game! The Brown players were still finding open spaces and generating offensive opportunities.

Brown and Princeton play similar backchecking systems though overall Princeton is more of a north/south team than Brown is.

However, it wasn't all negatives- it's very encouraging to see us moving the puck the way we do, and rarely squandering possession in dangerous situations, which has been one of our biggest problems over the years. We seem to have cut down on the number of breakaways we give up, which I would posit has been another of our significant downfalls over Grillo's and the beginning of Whittet's tenures. Discipline remains a problem, but I do like the scrappy, in-your-face, cocky style we're playing. We don't look intimidated by anyone (granted, we weren't playing top-notch opponents this weekend) and we dictate the flow of the game for the most part. It's a great departure from the Grillo era, in which the players sat back and sulked while other teams would drive the puck to the net and light the lamp repeatedly.
                I'm in complete agreement with you.

Some of the freshman look like they have promise, especially the defenseman Robertson, who ripped a nasty clapper from the blue to tie it up in the third on Friday (which, I think, makes him our leading scorer with 3 goals).
                In my opinion the most consistent freshman so far has been defenseman Matt Wahl. He doesn't score as much as Dennis Robertson (in fact Wahl has only one assist so far), but he's extremely sound defensively. I'm also impressed by Garnet Hathaway. He's big, he's tough, he can skate, though he needs to find the net more. I think he'd blossom on a line with Jack Maclellan and Chris Zaires.

The leading overall scorer is Maclellan (2-4-6), followed by Harry Zolnierczyk (2-3-5) and Zaires (0-4-4). Robertson does lead the team in goals with 3 (and no asissts).

It's still going to be a transition year, especially with such a young team, but the cornerstone for future success has been laid. Whittet's ultimate vision for consistent success is easily attainable for players of this caliber playing with such fire, intensity, and pride. I'm anxiously anticipating the next several years, and hoping that we can find some moderate success this year. Another good playoff run is certainly in the cards, and I don't see us finishing lower than 10th this year.
                In some ways this is going to be a more difficult year because the expectations are higher and, besides, we won't be able to sneak up on teams any more. People around the league know that Brown is for real, that the Bears have quite a bit of talent though they're still a bit unpolished.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post

In my opinion the most consistent freshman so far has been defenseman Matt Wahl. He doesn't score as much as Dennis Robertson (in fact Wahl has only one assist so far), but he's extremely sound defensively. I'm also impressed by Garnet Hathaway. He's big, he's tough, he can skate, though he needs to find the net more. I think he'd blossom on a line with Jack Maclellan and Chris Zaires.
                  As to D, I agree with you as to Wahl. I also thought Buvinow and Russell make a good pairing. Crowley and Wolff seemed to be off the game. Will Carrier be back for next weekend's games? If so, any idea as to with whom he will pair-up?

Comment

Freshmen: Wahl has been excellent. Carrier is a great player. Robertson is plain dangerous on the point. Hourihan and Hathaway have been solid both ways with Brownschidle...+1 it looks like. 3 even strength goals and this line has two of them? Hathaway is still 18 I think.

Comment

Wow, sounds like we had a great effort last night! Big win on the road for a young team against a typically strong Colgate side that we rarely seem to get the best of, let alone in their own rink. Maclellan is racking up the points- 9 (3 goals, 6 assists) in five games. It's good to see that Clemente had a good game, and that we were able to capitalize on the PP. We're currently second in the nation in terms of PP conversion percentage, which is a far cry from previous years in which the only thing more futile than our PP was our penalty kill.

Comment

I passed on a late night trip along Route 20 and watched the game on high def TV as televised by Time Warner, the upstate NY cable carrier. With excellent camera work it was like sitting on the red line.

Brown played a good game. Only one defensive lapse when Clemente stopped 3 point blank shots and the D could not clear the rebound on the 3rd shot; and only one "dumb" penalty. Overall the D really shut down Colgate. Granted Colgate this year is not the offensive force it has been over the past few years but they have some good skaters.

Carrier is the real deal. For his first game it was a beginning showcase of his skills. A really hard shot and great ice awareness.

Zaires would get my star of the game. He is developing into the sniper Brown hasn't had in a long time. His first goal came on a loose puck on which he got a shot off in a flash hitting the only empty space the goalie left. Another similar shot clanged off the post. He had 2-3 other opportunities on which the goalie made good stops. Dan Fridgen, the former RPI coach who was doing the color, had positive comments on Chris.

The other comment I would add is Farnham's speed. He had a breakaway which a Colgate player prevented by a trip which the ref properly called a penalty shot on; and in the 3rd when Colgate pulled its goalie he almost beat a Colgate player to the puck in the Colgate end when Brown cleared the puck. It was good to see him get a goal a little later.

All in all a good game.

Comment

Has the Providence Journal finally realized that Brown has a hockey team and that this realization will continue? See the article from Friday's paper with the link below. This is the second major article by the writer on Brown hockey so far this year.

http://www.projo.com/brown/content/p...241ec0d2e.html

Comment

Your PP won the game for you, looked really good. And a shorty too...GL this year !
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Completed the sweep this weekend. Wow. Sounds like a strong performance in both games. From all accounts the D were strong and Clemente played well. Great to have some strong positive momentum early this year.

The next 2 games will be a challenge, but should be great experiences for the team.

Comment

What a great time to sweep two of our perennially toughest opponents! It's a great confidence boost heading into the UNH and BU games. Hopefully we can get a couple of solid results, even if we don't win a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X