Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
    Euler - very much agreed. THe rating is a bit low based on last year's finish, but at the same time, it's largely due to reputation. Also, Brown lost a good chunk of last year's team. A loss of Aaron Volpatti, Devin Timberlake, and Jordan Pietrus is huge in the eyes of the conference. This is a Bruno team that is also without two key defenders in Jeremy Russell and Sean McMonagle.

I think looking at the roster, the beginning of the season could start out much like last year, when Brown struggled. The team just needs to hit its stride, which hopefully it can do early. The wonderful thing is that Brown is facing an extremely challenging non-conference schedule. It'll be a definite trial by fire with UNH, BU (twice), and possibly Mankato or Notre Dame. It's very ambitious, but it'll show the team what they need to become, unlike when they were given teams like AIC, UConn, and (as much as I love my other squad, I have to lump them here) Bentley.

Expectations need to be high but also realistic.
    Wait...where is Jeremy Russell going? He still has a year of eligibility left, after sitting out a year with injury.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
      Wait...where is Jeremy Russell going? He still has a year of eligibility left, after sitting out a year with injury.
      Russell will be back, I believe. Obviously an oversight/mistake.

Comment

a good program that keeps improving

Comment

This is a Bruno team that is also without two key defenders in Jeremy Russell and Sean McMonagle.
          Jeremy Russell is back as a fifth-year undergraduate in the combined A.B (Economics) / Sc.B (Neural Science) program, which takes five years to complete. He's serving once again as an Assistant Captain (together with Dave Brownschidle and junior Jack Maclellan).

We're likely to see at least two and perhaps three freshmen start at defense.

The wonderful thing is that Brown is facing an extremely challenging non-conference schedule. It'll be a definite trial by fire with UNH, BU (twice), and possibly Mankato or Notre Dame. It's very ambitious, but it'll show the team what they need to become, unlike when they were given teams like AIC, UConn, and (as much as I love my other squad, I have to lump them here) Bentley.
          Brendan believes that a tough schedule will only help Brown in the long run. Playing BU and UNH at their big arenas and with their large fan base is great for Brown, particularly as we try to recruit more players from New England.
          Last edited by Euler18; 09-28-2010, 06:56 AM. Reason: Correction needed

Comment

The student turnout for the FB game Saturday night was incredible. I think for many of them, including the seniors, this may have been their first ever Brown game attended. While the novelty and historic nature of the game was surely the draw, did Brown and the Athletics Dept do anything special to get the students out? Hopefully, the enthusiasm will extend to hockey and the efforts to get students to games will continue for hockey. It would be great to see Meehan rocking again with a full house.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
              The student turnout for the FB game Saturday night was incredible. I think for many of them, including the seniors, this may have been their first ever Brown game attended. While the novelty and historic nature of the game was surely the draw, did Brown and the Athletics Dept do anything special to get the students out? Hopefully, the enthusiasm will extend to hockey and the efforts to get students to games will continue for hockey. It would be great to see Meehan rocking again with a full house.
              I was about to reference the crowd at the football game. If they can generate that kind of buzz and atmosphere about hockey games, it would be fantastic. I know a freshman member of the Brown band, and he's told me that the entire campus is just completely jazzed up about Brown sports this year for some reason. Hopefully the the hockey team will put a good product on the ice this year and get some students to venture out on Friday and Saturday nights. Meehan Madness might be on its way back!

Comment

How the Athletics Dept. got the students (4700) out:

http://sportsblog.projo.com/2010/09/...is-savori.html

Comment

When was the last time Brown had a walk-on make the team, if ever?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                    When was the last time Brown had a walk-on make the team, if ever?
                    I recall Rob Kapuscinski being cut and then asking to walk back on and making the team around 2005 or 2006 or so. Chris Frangos was also the third/fourth goalie for Bob Gaudet's last teams (backing up Audette, Holowaty, and Stirling), and I'm fairly certain that he would have been a walk-on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                      Russell will be back, I believe. Obviously an oversight/mistake.
                      oopsies
                      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Does anyone know what the uniforms for this season will look like? I remember someone (probably Euler) mentioned that Coach Whittet wanted new ones, which more red. Also, I found this in the USCHO.com shop:

http://uscho.teamfanshop.com/COLLEGE..._Hockey_Jersey

If that's the jersey, I have to be honest...I'm not a fan. But they seem to have a weird jersey like this for every team (Yale's looks like Maine's uni; it's actually pretty attractive, but erroneous, I would assume), so I'm guessing that USCHO somehow got licensing rights for all these teams and made up their own jerseys or something to that effect.

So, again, if anyone has pics or a description of the new uniforms, please feel free (nay, encouraged) to post them on this thread. If not, I suppose we'll just have to wait until the season starts!

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          Does anyone know what the uniforms for this season will look like? I remember someone (probably Euler) mentioned that Coach Whittet wanted new ones, which more red. Also, I found this in the USCHO.com shop:

http://uscho.teamfanshop.com/COLLEGE..._Hockey_Jersey

If that's the jersey, I have to be honest...I'm not a fan. But they seem to have a weird jersey like this for every team (Yale's looks like Maine's uni; it's actually pretty attractive, but erroneous, I would assume), so I'm guessing that USCHO somehow got licensing rights for all these teams and made up their own jerseys or something to that effect.

So, again, if anyone has pics or a description of the new uniforms, please feel free (nay, encouraged) to post them on this thread. If not, I suppose we'll just have to wait until the season starts!
                          No, the sweater pictured on the uscho.teamfanshop.com is not a model for what the Bears will be wearing this season...not even close. The newly-designed jersey for 2010-11 is an adaptation of the late 1960s-early 1970s sweater worn, with slight modifications every so often, by Brown men's teams during the Jim Fullerton era. I hesitate to call the new uni a 'throwback' because the basic model has been updated somewhat with additional red striping. I do believe Bear fans will be more than pleased with the classic new look and many will find the jersey a welcome change. Regrettably, I'm not able to provide picture(s) of the sweater as none have been made available. I suspect the men's coaching staff is keeping the new uni under wraps as a season-opening surprise for the Brown faithful.
                          LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Originally posted by bruno View Post
                            No, the sweater pictured on the uscho.teamfanshop.com is not a model for what the Bears will be wearing this season...not even close. The newly-designed jersey for 2010-11 is an adaptation of the late 1960s-early 1970s sweater worn, with slight modifications every so often, by Brown men's teams during the Jim Fullerton era. I hesitate to call the new uni a 'throwback' because the basic model has been updated somewhat with additional red striping. I do believe Bear fans will be more than pleased with the classic new look and many will find the jersey a welcome change. Regrettably, I'm not able to provide picture(s) of the sweater as none have been made available. I suspect the men's coaching staff is keeping the new uni under wraps as a season-opening surprise for the Brown faithful.
                            I agree. The classic look of the new Brown sweaters will be an improvement. The new sweaters respect the fact that the colors of Brown University are brown and cardinal red, NOT black!!! I particularly like the away model.

Only fifteen days to the opener at Yale. For those who are interested, Brown will play a practice game at Harvard next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                              I agree. The classic look of the new Brown sweaters will be an improvement. The new sweaters respect the fact that the colors of Brown University are brown and cardinal red, NOT black!!! I particularly like the away model.

Only fifteen days to the opener at Yale. For those who are interested, Brown will play a practice game at Harvard next weekend.
                              Is there an image of them anywhere? I'm a uniform buff and love seeing them.
                              Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Perhaps there will be a look at the new unis at tonight's Fan Fest.

Comment

Working...
                                X