Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    Interesting story in today's Globe regarding college players leaving for major juniors:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ow_more_class/
    There should be a cut-off date when kids can't decommit and go MJ. If a MJ can't sign a team before "X" date, they can't. Maybe that would help. I agree with Kelly in the article. The teams, and kids, are pretty classless by screwing these colleges. Melchiori and Tenordi should be embarrassed.
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Red Cloud's blog post about Brown http://www.withoutapeer.com/2010/09/...emy-brown.html.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Not a Brown hockey related post but - While searching for info regarding the upcoming Ivy League/Brown football season, I came across the below linked Brown Bears Football Blog. It is the work of the father of a frshman on Brown's FB team. Interesting stories in the archives. I am posting the site as I know a lot of the brown posters on this board follow Brown FB.

http://brownbearblogger.blogspot.com/

Comment

New recruit. Chris Draper from the Calgary Royals (the same team that brought Krys Kollanos to Boston Coll). Should arrive in 2011 or 2012. 6'2" 185lbs left winger who netted 24 goals in 51 games for Calgary.

I'm almost afraid to say this, but he looks like a player. By my count, that's 5 recruits committed in the last month.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
            New recruit. Chris Draper from the Calgary Royals (the same team that brought Krys Kollanos to Boston Coll). Should arrive in 2011 or 2012. 6'2" 185lbs left winger who netted 24 goals in 51 games for Calgary.

I'm almost afraid to say this, but he looks like a player. By my count, that's 5 recruits committed in the last month.
            I'm under a self-imposed gag rule concerning recruiting, so I won't make comments about specific players until they matriculate at Brown. Nevertheless I suppose that I can say categorically that the future (2011 and 2012) looks very bright indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
              I'm under a self-imposed gag rule concerning recruiting, so I won't make comments about specific players until they matriculate at Brown. Nevertheless I suppose that I can say categorically that the future (2011 and 2012) looks very bright indeed.
              I understand, but I agree. I love the fact that Brown has become very aggressive lately in recruiting. Meehan Madness is coming back to campus hopefully.

Comment

Speaking about matriculation, are all the frosh and returning lettermen in school?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                  Speaking about matriculation, are all the frosh and returning lettermen in school?
                  All ten 2010 recruits have matriculated. All the upperclassmen have returned to school and are doing well. Nevertheless, two members of the 2009-2010 squad, Tyler Fernandez and Riley LaForge, are no longer with the team.

The 2010-2011 roster includes seventeen forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders: http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...2010-11/roster
                  Last edited by Euler18; 09-13-2010, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Comprehensive, and I pretty much agree with most of what he wrote. Clemente is capable but inconsistent IMO.

Sounds like exciting times for Brown hockey in the next several years. Guess I'll buy season tickets again. :-)

Comment

Meehan Madness is coming back to campus hopefully.

That would make my day. My year. My LIFE.

Comment

ECAC Hockey preseason poll released!

Coaches Poll

Team (first-place votes) Points
                        1. Yale (11) 121
                        2. Cornell (1) 92
                        3. Union 86
                        4. Rensselaer 79
                        5. Colgate 69
                        6. Dartmouth 67
                        7. Harvard 62
                        8. Quinnipiac 54
                        9. St. Lawrence 52
                        10. Princeton 43
                        11. Brown 34
                        12. Clarkson 33

Media Poll

1. Yale (25) 354
                        2. Cornell (2) 288
                        3. Union (1) 276
                        4. Colgate (2) 263
                        5. Rensselaer 211
                        6. Dartmouth 188
                        7. St. Lawrence 172
                        8. Quinnipiac 142
                        9. Princeton 135
                        10. Harvard 120
                        11. Brown 118
                        12. Clarkson 82

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...#ixzz10IF6ulLI
                        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post
                          That would make my day. My year. My LIFE.
                          Tell me about it. With these recruits coming in, the future is certainly bright. When does Harlow arrive? Is he this fall or next fall?

Comment

Tell me about it. With these recruits coming in, the future is certainly bright. When does Harlow arrive? Is he this fall or next fall?
                            Maybe/probably not until 2012.... 2011 at the earliest

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post

Coaches Poll

1. Yale (11) 121
                              2. Cornell (1) 92
                              3. Union 86
                              4. Rensselaer 79
                              5. Colgate 69
                              6. Dartmouth 67
                              7. Harvard 62
                              8. Quinnipiac 54
                              9. St. Lawrence 52
                              10. Princeton 43
                              11. Brown 34
                              12. Clarkson 33
                              In my opinion, Brown may have been picked a bit too low, but it's all right. These pre-season polls are largely reputational, and Brown is yet to re-establish itself as a solid contender despite its relative success in the 2010 ECAC playoffs. I'm sure most people who are familiar with ECAC hockey will agree that the rankings on the last day of the season will probably look quite different.

Though the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place, I think this will be a rather difficult season for Brown in the beginning. The entering class is very good and will play, but the new players will still need to learn the Brown systems and adjust to the college game. If you play seven or eight freshmen, you have to be prepared for a few costly mistakes. But as Brendan says, "it's a process."

Comment

In my opinion, Brown may have been picked a bit too low, but it's all right. These pre-season polls are largely reputational, and Brown is yet to re-establish itself as a solid contender despite its relative success in the 2010 ECAC playoffs. I'm sure most people who are familiar with ECAC hockey will agree that the rankings on the last day of the season will probably look quite different.

Though the pieces of the puzzle are falling into place, I think this will be a rather difficult season for Brown in the beginning. The entering class is very good and will play, but the new players will still need to learn the Brown systems and adjust to the college game. If you play seven or eight freshmen, you have to be prepared for a few costly mistakes. But as Brendan says, "it's a process."
                                Euler - very much agreed. THe rating is a bit low based on last year's finish, but at the same time, it's largely due to reputation. Also, Brown lost a good chunk of last year's team. A loss of Aaron Volpatti, Devin Timberlake, and Jordan Pietrus is huge in the eyes of the conference. This is a Bruno team that is also without two key defenders in Jeremy Russell and Sean McMonagle.

I think looking at the roster, the beginning of the season could start out much like last year, when Brown struggled. The team just needs to hit its stride, which hopefully it can do early. The wonderful thing is that Brown is facing an extremely challenging non-conference schedule. It'll be a definite trial by fire with UNH, BU (twice), and possibly Mankato or Notre Dame. It's very ambitious, but it'll show the team what they need to become, unlike when they were given teams like AIC, UConn, and (as much as I love my other squad, I have to lump them here) Bentley.

Expectations need to be high but also realistic.
                                Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Working...
                                X