Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    Yes it is. If I remember the story correctly, he graduated from RPI with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering in 3 years while coming in as a francophone who knew very little English.
    Now that's impressive! Too bad not every kid from Quebec is like that.

Comment

Yes it is. If I remember the story correctly, he graduated from RPI with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering in 3 years while coming in as a francophone who knew very little English.
      Tack on a 4.0 GPA to that. Took some graduate courses his senior year before playing with the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        Now that's impressive! Too bad not every kid from Quebec is like that.
        Well, Union's Stephane Boileau has like a 3.95 GPA and almost left after his junior year to go to med school. And from what I understand, English was not his first language either. Not that every Quebecois is this smart, but there is certainly no lack of them either. As Wicked said, I think the language and cultural differences are what keep many of them from going south of the border.

And while there isn't a language thing, much the same can be said for kids from the Maritimes. It is a totally different small-town lifestyle up there and very few of their hockey players venture down to the States.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Yes all true...and he's admitted to failing the first two tests he ever took at RPI because of his poor english.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
            True, but the better Canadian kids are going to play MJ hockey. Reminds of when an NBA team drafts a Euro. You 'hope' they show up, but you never know.
            There are a lot of top Canadian players coming into the NCAA hockey programs that passed on Major Junior. Just look at those kids drafted in past NHL drafts or take this year for example. The players below could have played in the OHL, QMJHL or WHL but have chosen the NCAA route:

3 77 DAL ALEXANDER GUPTILL LW CCHL ORANGEVILLE
            4 92 FLA SAM BRITTAIN G AJHL CANMORE
            4 93 FLA BENJAMIN GALLACHER D AJHL CAMROSE
            4 113 MTL MARK MACMILLAN F BCHL ALBERNI VALLEY
            5 123 FLA ZACH HYMAN C CCHL HAMILTON
            5 136 SJS ISAAC MACLEOD D BCHL PENTICTON
            6 156 TBL BRENDAN O\'DONNELL C MJHL WINNIPEG SOUTH
            7 199 ATL PETER STOYKEWYCH D MJHL WINNIPEG SOUTH
            7 202 EDM KELLEN JONES F BCHL VERNON

Top Canadian players help the NCAA programs and we all benefit.

Comment

I appreciate the discussion of Joe Juneau's impressive career, but to return the conversation to Brown hockey, it's worth remembering that in his senior year goaltender Yann Danis had a trifecta of sorts, as he was named First Team All-America, Academic All-America and Hobey Baker finalist. His English was quite polished by the time he graduated from Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                I appreciate the discussion of Joe Juneau's impressive career, but to return the conversation to Brown hockey, it's worth remembering that in his senior year goaltender Yann Danis had a trifecta of sorts, as he was named First Team All-America, Academic All-America and Hobey Baker finalist. His English was quite polished by the time he graduated from Brown.
                I agree hard to find quality kids and players like Yann Danis. A real stand up kid!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                  There are a lot of top Canadian players coming into the NCAA hockey programs that passed on Major Junior. Just look at those kids drafted in past NHL drafts or take this year for example. The players below could have played in the OHL, QMJHL or WHL but have chosen the NCAA route:

3 77 DAL ALEXANDER GUPTILL LW CCHL ORANGEVILLE
                  4 92 FLA SAM BRITTAIN G AJHL CANMORE
                  4 93 FLA BENJAMIN GALLACHER D AJHL CAMROSE
                  4 113 MTL MARK MACMILLAN F BCHL ALBERNI VALLEY
                  5 123 FLA ZACH HYMAN C CCHL HAMILTON
                  5 136 SJS ISAAC MACLEOD D BCHL PENTICTON
                  6 156 TBL BRENDAN O\'DONNELL C MJHL WINNIPEG SOUTH
                  7 199 ATL PETER STOYKEWYCH D MJHL WINNIPEG SOUTH
                  7 202 EDM KELLEN JONES F BCHL VERNON

Top Canadian players help the NCAA programs and we all benefit.
                  This is true, but we were discussing Quebec kids, not all Canadiens.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    This is true, but we were discussing Quebec kids, not all Canadiens.
                    ya not too many in our league i think most go to the Q cuz of the midget affiliations there with major junior. There are a lot of good kids in BC Alberta and Ontario from what I have seen over the years

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                      ya not too many in our league i think most go to the Q cuz of the midget affiliations there with major junior. There are a lot of good kids in BC Alberta and Ontario from what I have seen over the years
                      I just dont trust kids from the Q. Im always afraid they'll use a school like Brown to better their position with their QMJHL team. I agree Danis was the man. Great goalie and a great kid. He'll go far in no matter what he ends up doing in life.
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Yann is the best goaltender to have played at Brown and one of the best ever in the ECAC.
                        Interesting. I would have thought you might choose someone from the golden era of Brown like Kevin McCabe.....or a Mark Holden. But as Kdiff mentioned Yann had to carry his team.

Was Yann a 'blue chip' recruit coming in to Brown? I thought I heard stories he came in a bit under the radar and that he really blossomed while at Brown.

Comment

Nice mention of jesse fratkin on the INCH site in its "A-Z" player write-up.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/2010/08/16/fratkin/

Comment

Originally posted by Brunofan View Post
                            Interesting. I would have thought you might choose someone from the golden era of Brown like Kevin McCabe.....or a Mark Holden. But as Kdiff mentioned Yann had to carry his team.
                            Kevin McCabe was a very good goaltender on excellent Brown teams though he faltered a bit during his senior year. After playing behind Mike Laycock in the early stages of his career, Mark Holden blossomed into an excellent goaltender. He had a great senior season, when he was selected to the All-America team.

Yann was technically superior than any goaltender I've seen at Brown. I may pay for what I'm about to say, but in my opinion, from a technical standpoint the second best goaltender who has played for Brown isn't McCabe, Holden, Laycock or Chris Harvey (the last three were All-Americas) but Adam d'Alba'08, who, unfortunately, quit after his sophomore season. D'Alba was destined to become our sixth All-America goaltender.

The combination of some of Yann's stats is truly amazing. Here are a few:

1. The two highest season save percentages: .942 (2003-2004) and .938 (2001-2002). His career save percentage was .930 due to his freshman season (.888), while he was not only learning the college game but played behind a very weak team.

2. Thirteen career shutouts. The next goaltender in line is Harry Batchelder'58, with four career shuouts. Yann had five shutouts in a season twice (2002-2003 and 2003-2004).

3. In 2003-2004 Yann's goals against average was a ridiculous 1.81. His career goals against average was 2.20 even though he played on a couple of weak teams and never on a very good team.

4. Yann is second in saves in a game: 66 against Harvard in March of 2002. Jack Skillings'37 had 76 also against Harvard in 1935. Incidentally, Jack was at the Harvard game when Yann almost broke his record.

Was Yann a 'blue chip' recruit coming in to Brown? I thought I heard stories he came in a bit under the radar and that he really blossomed while at Brown.
                            Evidently Roger Grillo noticed Yann at a junior tournament. As far as I know Yann was not widely recruited. Grillo had a very good eye for goaltenders, as he followed Yann with D'Alba.

Comment

Yann was technically superior than any goaltender I've seen at Brown. I may pay for what I'm about to say, but in my opinion, from a technical standpoint the second best goaltender who has played for Brown isn't McCabe, Holden, Laycock or Chris Harvey (the last three were All-Americas) but Adam d'Alba'08, who, unfortunately, quit after his sophomore season. D'Alba was destined to become our sixth All-America goaltender.
                              I will second the D'Alba comment. After seeing him in a couple of games, he was staqrting to make me forget about the loss of Yann. Absolutely terrific goalie.

Comment

Interesting story in today's Globe regarding college players leaving for major juniors:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ow_more_class/

Comment

Working...
                                X