Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2010-2011 - Onward and Upward

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    I received an email yesterday from the BHA regarding the untimely death of John Jacks '87. My computer is giving me fits trying to post it to this post. Hopefully someone from the BHA with better tech skills can do it
    Brown Hockey Community,

I am writing with great sadness about the recent loss on July 29th of John (“Jake”) Jacks Jr. ’87. John wore the Brown Hockey sweater proudly during his tenure and was a great teammate and fraternity brother. More importantly, he was a genuine person, caring classmate and friend to so many at Brown and beyond.

John Jr. was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, on November 15, 1964 to John William Jacks, Sr. and Nancy (Hurley) Jacks. He was a 1983 Graduate of Highland Park High School in St. Paul and played high school hockey in the ultra-competitive Minnesota high school leagues. John married Kimberley (Maliskey) Jacks in 1990 and had three children—Courtney Gayle and two sons, John William III "Jakey" and Nicholas Charles "Nick". John is also survived by his mother and father, brother Kelly Jacks, sisters Colleen Jacks, Susan Sander, and Sharon Jacks-McDonald, and mother-in-law, Gayle Maliskey. After graduating from Brown in 1987, John managed several electronics businesses in Tennessee and Alabama until his courageous battle with colon cancer became consuming over a year ago.

Jake had a funny, witty sense of humor and will be remembered on many fronts. One of the classic all-time Jake moments (though perhaps not the grandest in the grand scheme) was when he earned a spot on the Wheel of Fortune his sophomore year and managed to take home the hardware with the country and Brown community watching on TV! He was also known as a laid-back guy who loved the outdoors and particularly enjoyed visiting his parents’ cabin in Minnesota. In his last month, he tried to make a final MN visit but sadly had to forego the trip and send only half of his family due to the stress and pain he was enduring. However, in June a group of loyal Brown classmates and teammates (including Dave Andreychuk, James (Jens) Gjerset, Dave (Red) Cary, Greg Diffley and Eddie Goddard) were able to enjoy a particularly special weekend of reminiscing and laughter with Jake and his family at their home in Alabaster, Alabama. These friends and others have since established a Jacks Family Memorial Trust to help address medical, education and special needs expenses that have mounted (son Nick is autistic) and have arranged for matching donations as well. If you are interested in learning more and assisting on this front, please call Dave Andreychuk ’87 at (646) 225-4552 or he can be reached at david.andreychuk@microsoft.com. If you would like to just post a personal note or condolence, you should also feel free to visit the John Jacks CaringBridge website, which John’s wife Kimberley has so inspirationally maintained, at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/johnjacks.

To all of the Jacks family, the Brown Hockey community and the BHA extends our heartfelt sympathy and prayers to you and we are thankful that John is no longer suffering.

Jake, you were a great friend, teammate and colleague. You gave us many classic moments, and you were “ever true” to your friends, family and the Brown community. We will miss you.

Mark Rechan ‘87
    President, Brown Hockey Association

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
      Brown Hockey Community,

I am writing with great sadness about the recent loss on July 29th of John (“Jake”) Jacks Jr. ’87. John wore the Brown Hockey sweater proudly during his tenure and was a great teammate and fraternity brother. More importantly, he was a genuine person, caring classmate and friend to so many at Brown and beyond.

John Jr. was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, on November 15, 1964 to John William Jacks, Sr. and Nancy (Hurley) Jacks. He was a 1983 Graduate of Highland Park High School in St. Paul and played high school hockey in the ultra-competitive Minnesota high school leagues. John married Kimberley (Maliskey) Jacks in 1990 and had three children—Courtney Gayle and two sons, John William III "Jakey" and Nicholas Charles "Nick". John is also survived by his mother and father, brother Kelly Jacks, sisters Colleen Jacks, Susan Sander, and Sharon Jacks-McDonald, and mother-in-law, Gayle Maliskey. After graduating from Brown in 1987, John managed several electronics businesses in Tennessee and Alabama until his courageous battle with colon cancer became consuming over a year ago.

Jake had a funny, witty sense of humor and will be remembered on many fronts. One of the classic all-time Jake moments (though perhaps not the grandest in the grand scheme) was when he earned a spot on the Wheel of Fortune his sophomore year and managed to take home the hardware with the country and Brown community watching on TV! He was also known as a laid-back guy who loved the outdoors and particularly enjoyed visiting his parents’ cabin in Minnesota. In his last month, he tried to make a final MN visit but sadly had to forego the trip and send only half of his family due to the stress and pain he was enduring. However, in June a group of loyal Brown classmates and teammates (including Dave Andreychuk, James (Jens) Gjerset, Dave (Red) Cary, Greg Diffley and Eddie Goddard) were able to enjoy a particularly special weekend of reminiscing and laughter with Jake and his family at their home in Alabaster, Alabama. These friends and others have since established a Jacks Family Memorial Trust to help address medical, education and special needs expenses that have mounted (son Nick is autistic) and have arranged for matching donations as well. If you are interested in learning more and assisting on this front, please call Dave Andreychuk ’87 at (646) 225-4552 or he can be reached at david.andreychuk@microsoft.com. If you would like to just post a personal note or condolence, you should also feel free to visit the John Jacks CaringBridge website, which John’s wife Kimberley has so inspirationally maintained, at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/johnjacks.

To all of the Jacks family, the Brown Hockey community and the BHA extends our heartfelt sympathy and prayers to you and we are thankful that John is no longer suffering.

Jake, you were a great friend, teammate and colleague. You gave us many classic moments, and you were “ever true” to your friends, family and the Brown community. We will miss you.

Mark Rechan ‘87
      President, Brown Hockey Association
      RIP Jake
      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

from Chris Heisenberg recruiting website

Kevin Roy of quebec who played at Deerfield prep is now a Brown recruit (2012)

that was him when he was 13 years old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIB11yCi1Y

Comment

Originally posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
          from Chris Heisenberg recruiting website

Kevin Roy of quebec who played at Deerfield prep is now a Brown recruit (2012)

that was him when he was 13 years old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIB11yCi1Y
          Wow. Anyone else think Major Junior will be a major problem for Brown with this kid? I dont trust any hockey player from Quebec who can play at all to come to the US to play College hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
            Wow. Anyone else think Major Junior will be a major problem for Brown with this kid? I dont trust any hockey player from Quebec who can play at all to come to the US to play College hockey.
            Two-time All-America and Hobey Baker finalist Yann Danis spent four great years at Brown, graduated, and then went pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
              Two-time All-America and Hobey Baker finalist Yann Danis spent four great years at Brown, graduated, and then went pro.
              Yann Danis was a great player to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                Besides, Yann was humble and team-oriented. And so were his French-speaking parents, who seldom talked about Yann; it was always the team. Only once, after a game at Lowell, when Yann was absolutely magnificient, did I see them gloat slightly. I turned to Yves Danis (Yann's father) and said "Incroyable," to which he replied "Yann est le meilleur!". That was it. Of course, Yves Danis was right: Yann is the best goaltender to have played at Brown and one of the best ever in the ECAC.

Comment

i don't think so. his right are not owned by anyone in the qmjhl (was passed over in the 2009 & 2010 qmjhl midjet draft wich tell you is serious about going ncaa )

plus, doesn't appear to be a top nhl draft prospects (he's eligible in this year draft)

Comment

... I dont trust any hockey player from Quebec who can play at all to come to the US to play College hockey.
                    Marty St. Louis - UVM
                    Joey Juneau - RPI
                    Sasha Pokulok - Cornell
                    Nik Pokulok - Clarkson
                    Mario Valerie-Trabucco - Union
                    Alex Angers-Goulet - RPI
                    Francois Brisbois - Colgate
                    Nick Tremblay - Clarkson
                    Nick & Julien Cayer - Clarkson

I could go on...
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                      He single-handedly comprised our defense for 3 and a half years. During that time, our offense scored with great regularity, but if it weren't for Yann Danis, we still would have stunk because we unquestionably had the worst defensive players in the league.

Let's hope Clemente can transcend his average regular season play and turn into the next Danis this season!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        Marty St. Louis - UVM
                        Joey Juneau - RPI
                        Sasha Pokulok - Cornell
                        Nik Pokulok - Clarkson
                        Mario Valerie-Trabucco - Union
                        Alex Angers-Goulet - RPI
                        Francois Brisbois - Colgate
                        Nick Tremblay - Clarkson
                        Nick & Julien Cayer - Clarkson

I could go on...
                        You could also make a list of those from Quebec who committed to US colleges only to go to major junior at the end. The odds of a Quebec player decommitting to a US college has to be much higher than any other area. Taking any Canadian player is high risk/high reward.

Comment

You could also make a list of those from Quebec who committed to US colleges only to go to major junior at the end. The odds of a Quebec player decommitting to a US college has to be much higher than any other area. Taking any Canadian player is high risk/high reward.
                          I think the larger issue for ECAC teams is not QBC kids leaving for a paycheck, but rather whether or not the francophone kid can handle ECAC college workloads, given the obvious language hurdles. I'm sure that is far larger concern for league coaches then whether or not a kid will jump.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I think the larger issue for ECAC teams is not QBC kids leaving for a paycheck, but rather whether or not the francophone kid can handle ECAC college workloads, given the obvious language hurdles. I'm sure that is far larger concern for league coaches then whether or not a kid will jump.
                            True, but the better Canadian kids are going to play MJ hockey. Reminds of when an NBA team drafts a Euro. You 'hope' they show up, but you never know.

Comment

Wicked: I remember hearing somewhere that Juneau arrived at RPI knowing little or no English but through a lot of work overcame that situation and became a stellar student in the engineering department. No gut courses. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                                Wicked: I remember hearing somewhere that Juneau arrived at RPI knowing little or no English but through a lot of work overcame that situation and became a stellar student in the engineering department. No gut courses. Is that true?
                                Yes it is. If I remember the story correctly, he graduated from RPI with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering in 3 years while coming in as a francophone who knew very little English.
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X