>>>>RIT 2010 Offseason Thread-"You have to be a genius to go to RIT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>>>RIT 2010 Offseason Thread-"You have to be a genius to go to RIT"

It was a great season, no doubt about that. Sure there will be some people saying "You got spanked by Wisconsin, ha-ha." Those people will have to be reminded that RIT, five years ago a division III team, posted a 2-1 record against the #2, #5 and #12 D-1 teams in the nation when it counted most. There are some big holes to fill next year, especially at goal, but RIT has shown that they can adjust and win at the highest level. Thank you to Jared DeMichiel, Dan Ringwald, Al Mazur, Brent Alexin and Stevan Matic. The rest of you guys, we'll see you next year and welcome you back with the same energy that you saw at the Blue Cross, in Albany and in Detroit. We're very proud to be Tigers right now. Now, let's get you a new barn to maul your opponents in. RIT! RIT! RIT!

Oh, and the title of the thread, for those of you not watching/listening on ESPN2, it's a quote from Barry Melrose.

Re: >>>>RIT 2010 Offseason Thread-"You have to be a genius to go to RIT"

That thread title isn't going to do much for our reputation here on the boards. =)

But the important thing is that we're the fourth-to-last team to need an off-season thread!

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      But the important thing is that we're the fourth-to-last team to need an off-season thread!

Powers &8^]

That's exactly right. Wanted to stop by and congratulate the Tigers on a great season. Be seeing you down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        That thread title isn't going to do much for our reputation here on the boards. =)
        Hey, I'm not going to argue with the Mullet

ETA: For those of you so disposed, you can catch the replay on espn360.com
        Last edited by RITTechie; 04-09-2010, 09:49 AM.

Comment

We all know Melrose is an idiot lol...

Congrats on a great season.
          Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

So, compared with Melrose ... just what is a genius?

I had only hoped to see an RIT season again that rivaled the feelings we saw in my student days of the early 1980s. It happened.

To all you students out there. Trust me, you will never forget this run and someday you will tell your children (and perhaps grandchildren ... don't have them yet) about it and look back proudly on your days at RIT. And I hope you will drag those little ones out to an RIT game (or many) in that new barn.

I never thought I'd be around to see DI hockey at RIT and I did. I never thought I'd see a DI Frozen Four for RIT (at least not so soon) and I did. Now, I fully expect to see a beautiful new arena on campus before long.

I do think we will see more trips to the NCAA in the future and I hope the energy of Albany and the aftermath can be repeated with another trip (or many) to the Frozen Four.

Looking forward. It will be tough to repeat as AHA champs; both due to our losses and due to two strong teams joining the league. The league will step it up even further next year.

The good news is that Coach Wilson will have a slightly easier recruiting task for a while. I spoke with a Miami fan/alum last night who said that their first Frozen Four was the big stepping stone for them. It lead to better recruits, better teams, new arena, etc. that has made them a perennial top dog (err hawk). Let's hope RIT jumps on this opportunity and takes the program to yet another level.
            -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post

Looking forward. It will be tough to repeat as AHA champs;
              To all the RIT players, coaches, and fans, congratulations on a fantastic season and run to the Frozen Four. Thanks for letting me jump on the bandwagon and ride along for two weeks.

With RIT being the clearcut cream of the conference this season, I do hope it will be a challenge for you to repeat only because that will be another indication of how the AHA is improving. Not only did RIT's play on the ice show that there is talent in the conference but the way your players conducted themselves off the ice - in interviews and press conferences - should send a message to prospective recruits that quality players and people have an opportunity to showcase themselves in the AHA.

Again, congratulations. Enjoy the afterglow and the offseason!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post

I nominate Gary Thorne as the biggest idiot ever They didn't even notice when Maledora was in net (though he wasn't for long). Kept confusing Burt with Tanev and at one point called us Rochester Institute

But besides that awesome season. It just dawned on me I won't be going to the Ritter every other weekend now till October
                RIT Tigers
                Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by RITTechie View Post
                  Hey, I'm not going to argue with the Mullet

ETA: For those of you so disposed, you can catch the replay on espn360.com
                  Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post

My personal favorite is when Melrose says [pick a college team of your choice] "Wisconsin have one of the great college hockey franchises."

It's a classic because not only do you get brutal grammar, but you learn that college teams are in fact franchises. Hey, who knew?
                  sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                    I nominate Gary Thorne as the biggest idiot ever They didn't even notice when Maledora was in net (though he wasn't for long). Kept confusing Burt with Tanev and at one point called us Rochester Institute
                    Agreed. Why can't Doc Emerick and Rick Jeanneret call every game?

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post

But besides that awesome season. It just dawned on me I won't be going to the Ritter every other weekend now till October
                      Gary Thorne also, at least during the first period, constantly said "[insert team name here] touches up for the icing". It's one thing for these NHL broadcasters to be somewhat unclear about the rule differences of the college game, but the no-touch icing is something you pick up on right away. . . Especially when they blow the whistle with no player within 20 feet of the puck.

Comment

Agreed. Why can't Doc Emerick and Rick Jeanneret call every game?
                        Even John Buccigross like for the regionals. I saw a replay of the UNH game and he did a far better job than Thorne. At least he knows something about hockey.
                        RIT Tigers
                        Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                        Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Question for those closer to the team and the realities of recruiting... How much do you really expect this fantastic postseason run to help RIT? In a world where we can't offer scholarships which handcuffs us with respect to the kind of players we can recruit in the first place, what kind of boost, if any, can we really expect from this?

There is nothing I'd love more than to see this frozen four berth as a launching point for RIT going forward, but I wonder just how far it can take us.

Do I really have to wait till October to see some RIT hockey again? I'm ready now!

Comment

Oh, and the title of the thread, for those of you not watching/listening on ESPN2, it's a quote from Barry Melrose.

I truely think Melrose confused RIT with MIT. The guy is a complete idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by NYTrojan View Post
                              There is nothing I'd love more than to see this frozen four berth as a launching point for RIT going forward, but I wonder just how far it can take us.
                              Very good question. After the loss, I'm left wondering -- is a Frozen Four berth our only reasonable goal without changing our entire recruitment philosophy? Can we really expect to contend for a national championship with four-year players and very few draft picks? Or are we doomed to just being "happy we made it" all the time?

(Yes, I know we've only been at D-I for five years, but I think these are valid questions.)

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                              X