Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>RIT 2010 Offseason Thread-"You have to be a genius to go to RIT"

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    And I don't know about everyone else on here (I wasn't surfing this board much a year ago), but I thought going from Menard / DeMike to DeMike alone in net was going to benefit this team as Jared had shown the ability to dominate games more than his predecessor.
    I guess I'll admit to being wrong. I didn't think goaltending would be a sure strength for RIT coming into the season, and through the non-conference schedule that fear seemed to be justified. RIT played well in those non-conference games, but they weren't getting the "big save" to get them over the hump, and the goal to end 2008/2009 wasn't exactly stellar.

He's definitely a goalie that improved with each season. Coming in, I wouldn't have guessed he would have done as well as he did. But, I'm thrilled to have been wrong, as the coaching staff always talked about how determined he was, and he seems like a great kid. Congrats to him, and you've got to think he'll find a pro role somewhere, which will enable him to achieve his goal.

Comment

Hard to say no to 2.7 mil. I just glanced over the article is it a one way or 2 way deal? I assume 2 way
      RIT Tigers
      Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
      Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
      Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
        http://www.theprovince.com/business/...581/story.html

If this article is accurate, Tanev got a 3 year deal worth 2.7 Million WOW!!!
        Here are some details

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1775

$67.5K at the AHL level, $900K at NHL and $90K signing bonus each year (??? don't know if he gets that regardless of level). Still, not bad at all and big motivation to move up.

A little note, I sate behind scouts from the Calgary Flames (IIRC) in Detroit and they had highlighted about 14 guys on the Wisc. roster to watch closely and only one on RIT's ... Tanev.

Regardless, good luck to Chris.
        -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
          Here are some details

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1775

$67.5K at the AHL level, $900K at NHL and $90K signing bonus each year (??? don't know if he gets that regardless of level). Still, not bad at all and big motivation to move up.

A little note, I sate behind scouts from the Calgary Flames (IIRC) in Detroit and they had highlighted about 14 guys on the Wisc. roster to watch closely and only one on RIT's ... Tanev.

Regardless, good luck to Chris.
          Answers my question. Really surprised they gave him almost the max for a rookie...
          RIT Tigers

Comment

I thought goaltending would be solid, but I don't think anyone expected DeMike to be a great as he turned out to be.

Losing Tanev hurts, but that means the rest of the defensemen will need to step it up. Getting Eckenswiller back helps, and Spivak got some good experiance. Hopefully, the recruits here will be able to come in and contribute right away.

For now, it seems RIT may need to be carried by the offense early in the season before everything settles.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
              With all due respect... Really?? RIT was not the defending regular season and tournament champions a year ago.
              No, but RIT was "amongst the pre-season favorites" and we all thought "it certainly [wasn't] going to be easy" to win the league. Weren't you "shocked [that] they won the conference [so] easily"?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                I thought goaltending would be solid, but I don't think anyone expected DeMike to be a great as he turned out to be.

Losing Tanev hurts, but that means the rest of the defensemen will need to step it up. Getting Eckenswiller back helps, and Spivak got some good experiance. Hopefully, the recruits here will be able to come in and contribute right away.

For now, it seems RIT may need to be carried by the offense early in the season before everything settles.
                Haltigan did have 11 goals or something. I think Eckenswiller would have been right there as well if he didn't get hurt. Favot will be a senior and Burt will be a junior so I expect some real solid numbers out of both of them right out of the gate
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  No, but RIT was "amongst the pre-season favorites" and we all thought "it certainly [wasn't] going to be easy" to win the league. Weren't you "shocked [that] they won the conference [so] easily"?

Powers &8^]
                  I must clarify... My point was that RIT was # 1 "easily" in 09-10 and is not expected to be # 1 so easily in 10-11. In 08-09, they were not # 1, so had no "easy" to compare to going into 09-10. That is all.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                    Haltigan did have 11 goals or something. I think Eckenswiller would have been right there as well if he didn't get hurt. Favot will be a senior and Burt will be a junior so I expect some real solid numbers out of both of them right out of the gate
                    Haltigan will certainly help offensively, and hopefully will improve on his +7 rating. Ecks was not much of a threat offensively with only 1 career goal. Spivak is even less of one, with no points last year, in spite of steady defense. I think Seracino will be a possible factor on offense to improve. on his 2-10-12 performance. Based on the Heisenberg site, RIT does have 3 6 foot+ defensemen coming in. That does sound promisising, so we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      Of course, that's exactly what we thought before last season, too. =)

Powers &8^]
                      I didn’t think that last year. I was the one saying this team was going to be fine, what I was wrong about was I didn’t think they would go to the frozen four and I was also a little surprise to see them run away with the Atlantic Title with double digit points and a spanking in the final. I thought going in this past year the team was very solid. The questions were where was goal scoring going to come from besides Burt and Brennar? And could DeMike handle the load in nets?

Let me be clear, I am not making call to hit the panic button. I think there is still enough talent on this team to repeat in the Atlantic, but with Niagara joining the task just got tougher. Especially in another NCAA run Tanev would have been big.

This is an interesting move by the Canucks. Tanev did have a very good year and has all the tools an NHL Defenseman would need. However one would think they have over paid for Tanev even if the reported number is high. They did nothing short of pounced on him after being an unknown for years and then playing one year of college hockey. The article that I got a pay figure out of called him a “free second round draft pick”. That is an ironic statement considering the amount they reportable paid him. However, there are a number of players like Chris who played two years of juniors and are undrafted and playing at places like RIT. Could NHL teams find this as a good bargain hunting ground?
                      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule
                      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

That is the key and like last year you got to wonder where the offense will come from. You would think Burt and Brenner can be 20 goalscorers, but it a little iffy after that. RIT played during the 0-5 streak to start the year, but they where not getting the goals...
                        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule
                        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

This is an interesting move by the Canucks. Tanev did have a very good year and has all the tools an NHL Defenseman would need. However one would think they have over paid for Tanev even if the reported number is high. They did nothing short of pounced on him after being an unknown for years and then playing one year of college hockey. The article that I got a pay figure out of called him a “free second round draft pick”. That is an ironic statement considering the amount they reportable paid him. However, there are a number of players like Chris who played two years of juniors and are undrafted and playing at places like RIT. Could NHL teams find this as a good bargain hunting ground?
                          I am surprised at he got that high of an ELC. Realistically he will be in Manitoba where I read he will make $67K a year, and have a $90k signing bonus that looks to be paid out each year. As said earlier, there must have been other teams interested to push the #'s up. The only negative i could see of a higher ELC is his Cap hit. It could hinder him from getting called up due to cap issues.
                          Good for him though....

Comment

Originally posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
                            I am surprised at he got that high of an ELC. Realistically he will be in Manitoba where I read he will make $67K a year, and have a $90k signing bonus that looks to be paid out each year. As said earlier, there must have been other teams interested to push the #'s up. The only negative i could see of a higher ELC is his Cap hit. It could hinder him from getting called up due to cap issues.
                            Good for him though....
                            Looking more at capgeek. 5 of the 6 starting defensemen, for Vancouver, will be UFA's in the 2011-2012 season. Looks like they might be are lining Chris up for a year on the Moose and hopefully having a shot at the big club in 2011 (and they'll have 26 mil in cap space).

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=29
                            RIT Tigers

Comment

That is the key and like last year you got to wonder where the offense will come from. You would think Burt and Brenner can be 20 goalscorers, but it a little iffy after that. RIT played during the 0-5 streak to start the year, but they where not getting the goals...
                              As I stated earlier, I think Hartley showed something the second half of the year. Knowles had great numbers in juniors, so we know he is capable of putting up good numbers. Jeff Smith even scored some timely goals in his limited action. Plus, who knows what the rookies will bring.

Comment

Plus, who knows what the rookies will bring.
                                I think this point, more than anything, sums up the DI era. We just had a rookie go from overlooked, to Frozen Four, to "free second round pick". That's pretty amazing and a credit to RIT's system for finding him and attracting him to campus. Who's to say it doesn't happen again next year, or that the whole crop of freshman turn out to dominate AHA play? (Of course, the opposite is possible as well and that's part of the fun!)
                                -M

Comment

Working...
                                X