Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>RIT 2010 Offseason Thread-"You have to be a genius to go to RIT"

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
    Thats why so many of them are taking Hotel Management and Packaging Science???
    No Hotel Management majors on this past season's roster.
    And before you knock packaging science, the guys who invented bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts are probably doing pretty well.

RIT has 15 Business and Business Related students, 1 Criminal Justice, 3 Biomedicine, 3 Packaging Science, 1 Civil Engineering Tech, and 1 Science Exploration.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      And before you knock packaging science, the guys who invented bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts are probably doing pretty well.

RIT has 15 Business and Business Related students, 1 Criminal Justice, 3 Biomedicine, 3 Packaging Science, 1 Civil Engineering Tech, and 1 Science Exploration.
      And just an FYI, it's not Hotel Management, it's Hospitality and Service Management
      Proud member of Smitty's ARMY

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
        No. But I don't totally disagree with his view on what big-time athletics can do to the academic reputation of a university. That's not to say I'm not in support of the move to D-I, but if RIT were to try and go "big-time" and become a BC, Michigan, Minnesota, etc... I'd be worried... at least about the potential diminished perception of our school if nothing else. I'm not only proud to have been a fan of RIT Hockey for 25+ years, but I'm also proud that I have an undergraduate degree from RIT, I have a Graduate Certificate from RIT, and I am currently working on a Masters Degree from RIT. It would bother me if at some point in the future, our school was seen in the same light as the University of Miami, Fl (which may in reality be a fine school for all I know, but its reputation is mostly derived from what everyone knows about the athletics, football in particular). Of course that is an extreme case and even if RIT became an elite D-I hockey power, they wouldn't even scratch the surface of programs like Miami in reputation, but you get the point of what I mean.
        You have to earn a diminished perception of the school, I believe. There are plenty of examples both good and bad of school reputation and athletics. When done the right way, the athletics can INCREASE the perception of the school. That Mark Cornacchia (sp?) had the best GPA of anyone in the Frozen Four helps there.

Being a top flight program will increase the spotlight on how the school does things, but with a dilligent program it can shine like a beacon. You don't see athletics diminishing Duke's or Syracuse's reputation. Or for a school that is a 1 sport D1 program Johns Hopkins.

Comment

And I think Tommy's spelling DOES diminish the academic integrity of RIT.

Comment

No. But I don't totally disagree with his view on what big-time athletics can do to the academic reputation of a university. That's not to say I'm not in support of the move to D-I, but if RIT were to try and go "big-time" and become a BC, Michigan, Minnesota, etc... I'd be worried... at least about the potential diminished perception of our school if nothing else. there)
            Are you really worried about RIT having an academic reputation similar to BC, Michigan or Minnesota?

Comment

Originally posted by tigernation View Post
              Are you really worried about RIT having an academic reputation similar to BC, Michigan or Minnesota?
              OK, using other hockey schools that aren't "Miami-like" may have been a poor example as BC and Michigan don't exactly have too much of a problem in that respect (last week's BC hockey player mishap notwithstanding), although Minnesota has been on probation in the recent past (not for hockey). But there is the fact that when you mention the elite programs like that, most people immediately think of the sports teams first, then maybe the academics. And if the football and or basketball teams have long rap sheets, or at least a couple newsworthy incidents, that is the impression everyone gets of that school. Honestly, I know little to nothing about the academic side of schools like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, Illinois, Washington, Oklahoma, Nebraska, UCLA, etc..., despite knowing all I need to about their sports teams.
              In considering everyone's rebuttals, I don't truly believe this is going to happen to RIT even if we do someday join a real conference and become consistently competitive with the big boys of hockey. I suppose I was theorizing way beyond the scope of what could really happen here. We're not going to be the next Miami or Florida State. Butler, maybe (which is a good thing).

and btw, Tom...
              I don't live in a fantasy world about college sports. I'm not an idiot. I know what really goes on.
              All I was trying to say originally before we got off on other random topics (in so many words ) is... RIT's program is a little more special to root for in that they have the opportunity to achieve the things they have while not being a Minnesota or Wisconsin-like program. As opposed to programs in that echelon where many of the players are there simply as a step towards the NHL (or so they hope), RIT's players for the most part probably know that after a short minor-pro career at best, they'll have to get into the real work world. Hence, the smart ones (which as you and I both pointed out are the ones Wilson goes after) really should (and do) understand that they're here to get an education while they're playing.

And to all of you who are a bit younger than I... I tend to write my posts as though I am actually writing (I know, a lost art). While I certainly don't claim to be Shakespeare or anything, I'm just not yet part of the "texting" world (I imagine I won't have a choice eventually) where many words are abbreviated, sentences shortened, spelling ignored, and grammar out the window. Even in a venue like this, I try to write somewhat properly, and do so every once in a while. So if you don't like the wordiness... tough bananas.
              Can't we all just get along?
              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

And to all of you who are a bit younger than I... I tend to write my posts as though I am actually writing (I know, a lost art). While I certainly don't claim to be Shakespeare or anything, I'm just not yet part of the "texting" world (I imagine I won't have a choice eventually) where many words are abbreviated, sentences shortened, spelling ignored, and grammar out the window. Even in a venue like this, I try to write somewhat properly, and do so every once in a while. So if you don't like the wordiness... tough bananas.
                While I appreciate your intent here, the four emoticons in three paragraphs-not counting the two in your sig- belie your point. The correct spelling and grammar are, however, a welcome relief from the posts of one certain individual.

And if we examine your other point, when a list of "organizations" that excel in hockey include all of the Ivy league, RPI and Colgate, I'm not too concerned with our academic reputation diminishing with our on-ice success.

Comment

When done the right way, the athletics can INCREASE the perception of the school. That Mark Cornacchia (sp?) had the best GPA of anyone in the Frozen Four helps there.
                  Yes. That was definitely a plus, but it was also followed by the irony of him being tossed from the Wisconsin game about a minute after the academic award was announced at Ford Field!
                  -M

Comment

Ask anyone at my office I HATE Styrofoam Peanuts!

I have to ship equipment all over the US that I build and Peanuts get everywhere.

BTW, if you check the Alumni Asspciation announcements on face book, there is an RIT alumni who started a pole dancing "fitness" business in Fairport I believe. I don't think it said what degree she earned though...Sounds like Hospitality and Service Management to me
                    Last edited by Tom Naeger; 04-29-2010, 09:42 AM.
                    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                    The Mule
                    Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

And I think Tommy's spelling DOES diminish the academic integrity of RIT.
                      Hey I have been really good latley...

The Liberal Art School does want it known that I was not a liberal art major , however sadly I got a minor in Liberal Art for communication as required for my degree. Complete waste of my time...
                      Last edited by Tom Naeger; 04-29-2010, 11:23 AM.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by RITTechie View Post
                        While I appreciate your intent here, the four emoticons in three paragraphs-not counting the two in your sig- belie your point. The correct spelling and grammar are, however, a welcome relief from the posts of one certain individual.
                        I find that if I don't use the silly things, too many joking, light-hearted, or even self-deprecating comments get taken the wrong way. I'm not too old to understand what they mean and use them .
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

I have to ship equipment all over the US that I build and Peanuts get everywhere.
                          I just live by the "Pay it forward" philosophy when it comes to the peanuts. When someone ships me stuff with peanuts.. Guess what my next shipment out is going to have packed in it? The best is when you get to ship them right back to who shipped them to you. You know they were hoping never to see them again. It's my own "going green" recycling program.

Comment

I just live by the "Pay it forward" philosophy when it comes to the peanuts. When someone ships me stuff with peanuts.. Guess what my next shipment out is going to have packed in it? The best is when you get to ship them right back to who shipped them to you. You know they were hoping never to see them again. It's my own "going green" recycling program.
                            We may have found something to agree on

Thomas M. Naeger
                            The Mule

Comment

BTW, if you check the Alumni Asspciation announcements on face book, there is an RIT alumni who started a pole dancing "fitness" business in Fairport I believe. I don't think it said what degree she earned though...Sounds like Hospitality and Service Management to me
                              Hate Styrofoam peanuts? Sounds like a job for a Packaging Scientist! Why, what's that? Someone invented something to replace styrofoam because it is harmful to the environment and irritating to users? Shocking!

http://www.sealedair.com/products/pr...r/fillair.html

And before you knock Hospitality and Service Management students, let's all remember that Stickboy got a HSM degree and is doing quite well for himself down in Sunny F-L-A.

Comment

Oh, and if you hate peanuts, try vermiculite. It's annoying AND probably contaminated with asbestos, but for some reason, Sigma-Aldrich loves packing pyrophoric liquid delivery cans with it. I suppose they think that a chemist won't be bothered by a little asbestosis.

Comment

Working...
                                X