Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>RIT 2010 Offseason Thread-"You have to be a genius to go to RIT"

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
    Great news on Ringwald. Any news on his next step? I had assumed he would have signed somewhere right away.
    Isn't he still working on school?
    RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Do these two divisions in AHA smell like the future birth of two conferences from one to anyone else???

I would guess there would have to be at least two more teams to come along to make that happen, or perhaps this is some of the seeds of the rumored future shakeup of DI hockey conferences.
      Yes, that scenario certainly makes itself obvious from the current situation.

I believe six teams is enough for an autobid, so technically no additional teams would be needed. If a split were to take place, obviously the eastern division would keep the Atlantic Hockey name, so the Western division would have to get a new name. I hear "College Hockey America" is available. =) And with Air Force, Niagara, BobbyMo, and probably UAH too, it'd look much the same anyway.

The drawback to a spinoff conference is the two-year wait for the autobid, which means it's actually the eastern division that's more likely to split off. If, after a few years, none of them have won the AHA autobid, they may consider a secession to ensure a tournament berth; in that case, waiting two years for the autobid is no different from staying in the AHA and not getting the autobid.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        Yes, that scenario certainly makes itself obvious from the current situation.

I believe six teams is enough for an autobid, so technically no additional teams would be needed. If a split were to take place, obviously the eastern division would keep the Atlantic Hockey name, so the Western division would have to get a new name. I hear "College Hockey America" is available. =) And with Air Force, Niagara, BobbyMo, and probably UAH too, it'd look much the same anyway.

The drawback to a spinoff conference is the two-year wait for the autobid, which means it's actually the eastern division that's more likely to split off. If, after a few years, none of them have won the AHA autobid, they may consider a secession to ensure a tournament berth; in that case, waiting two years for the autobid is no different from staying in the AHA and not getting the autobid.
        The odd part is that Air Force will probably want to stay with Army. If Syracuse were to add a Men's team, AFA could very well stay in the Atlantic and the "Great Lakes Conference" (or whatever) could come from the remaining five + the 'Cuse, or whatever school adds a program.
        Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Great news on Ringwald. Any news on his next step? I had assumed he would have signed somewhere right away.
          I had the pleasure of sitting behind Chris Tanev's mom during Saturday's FF game. She informed me that Ringwald was supposed to be picked up by the Amerks but couldn't because of his FF appearance. In case people don't know, Carl Hudson from Canisius is playing for the Amerks now. Supposedly he took Dan's spot.
          RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

So if Hudson took a potential Amerks spot, it might make sense that Ringwald is waiting until next season to find a open AHA-level spot (and finish his MBA). It seems "in character" for him to wait it out for the best opportunity.

If he did end up an Amerk, that would probably be enough to get me to go to a few Amerks games next year. Especially if they played Hershey ...
            -M

Comment

I recall RIT having to sit out the AHA tourney for the first two years
              in AHA (I could be wrong).

Would Robert Morris and Niagara have to do the same then? AHA website is woefully out of date so nothing there on this.
              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                I recall RIT having to sit out the AHA tourney for the first two years
                in AHA (I could be wrong).

Would Robert Morris and Niagara have to do the same then? AHA website is woefully out of date so nothing there on this.
                RIT was ineligible for post-season play for two years after becoming D-I. I don't think it had anything to do with joining AHA; therefore, I think that since Niagara and BobbyMo are already D-I, they will be eligible for post season play including the AHA tourney.
                RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

• Re: Authentic RIT Jerseys

Originally posted by mdumont View Post
                  The information I got from Jeff Siegel was the following:

The home jerseys this year are being given as a gift to all of the players on the team to commemorate their accomplishments this season.

There were a few of the white home jerseys from last year left over that belonged to this years senior class. These were saved to give to them as a gift at the end of the season, but this is no longer happening. They were available for $175 and I believe the only one remaining as of Monday or Tuesday was Mazur's.

The players were being given the option to purchase the orange jersey with the patch for $250. After this they would be sold to the people on the list. From what I've heard, over half the team wants to purchase their orange jersey as well, and I know the list already has a fair number of people on it, so it looks like they're pretty much all claimed at this point.
                  I appreciate the information and the legwork. Thanks also to mar7967, Mania, R Habs & Tom Naeger for their replies. I'll plan to e-mail Jeff Siegel right away.

I am glad to hear there's a waiting list. Even if it doesn't work out this year, I won't lose interest. Demand is understandably high right now, given the all this season's success.

Comment

I may have to go to an Amerks playoff game to BOO Hudson!!!!!!

Rochester Americans »
                    # Name Position Shoots Professional Experience College/Last Team Height Weight

17 Carl Hudson D R First season Canisius College 6' 1" 208 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by 35TH40TH View Post
                      I may have to go to an Amerks playoff game to BOO Hudson!!!!!!

Rochester Americans »
                      # Name Position Shoots Professional Experience College/Last Team Height Weight

17 Carl Hudson D R First season Canisius College 6' 1" 208 lbs
                      To the best of my knowledge (and if I can interpret their website correctly), Hudson is not on the Amerks post-season roster. He signed on one of those amateur try-out contracts, I believe. So I don't think they had much intention of making him eligible for the playoffs, especially since the Panthers sent 7 players down once their usual pathetic playoff-free season came to a close. So you'll have to wait until next year and hope that his 7 game, 0 points, -3 p/m, and 16 pim is enough to get him invited to camp next season. I'd prefer he play for one of our division rivals so we can boo him without looking crazy.
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                        RIT was ineligible for post-season play for two years after becoming D-I. I don't think it had anything to do with joining AHA; therefore, I think that since Niagara and BobbyMo are already D-I, they will be eligible for post season play including the AHA tourney.
                        They were ineligible for NCAA post-season play. From what I heard in interviews with Coach Wilson, they could have played in the AHA playoffs right away (in year 2 when they actually played an AHA regular season conference schedule). RIT chose not to play in that year's AHA tournament on the off chance that they might have won it and not been eligible to accept the auto-bid to the NCAA's. Turns out it wasn't such an "off-chance". By winning the regular season, they made it obvious that they would have had a legitimate shot at the tournament title. Now that would have been sweet.
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                          To the best of my knowledge (and if I can interpret their website correctly), Hudson is not on the Amerks post-season roster. He signed on one of those amateur try-out contracts, I believe.
                          Hudson has played in both of the Amerks' postseason games so far. I have no idea how that works, since Pinner only played in Hershey's last five regular-season games when he signed his contract in 2007. Maybe the rules are different when signing directly with an AHL team as a free agent rather than with the NHL club.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Spydey629 View Post
                            The odd part is that Air Force will probably want to stay with Army. If Syracuse were to add a Men's team, AFA could very well stay in the Atlantic and the "Great Lakes Conference" (or whatever) could come from the remaining five + the 'Cuse, or whatever school adds a program.
                            OK, I know this was discussed a couple years ago when SU announced their intentions of fielding a D-I Women's hockey team and all the rumors about a potential Men's team came up, but...
                            IMHO, There is no way SU is going to start a D-I program in any sport and join what is in essence a "mid-major" conference (although I understand that term has no true meaning in this case, but you get the point). An athletic department like SU would only join D-I hockey if it were to join a major conference like Hockey East, CCHA, or possibly ECAC. I doubt the AHA would even be a consideration for them unless it were to be used as a planned 2 to 4 year interim step to a major conference, which wouldn't be of much value to the AHA or its other members unless they were charged a higher membership fee for being a temporary member (which I imagine would be highly unlikely).

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                              Hudson has played in both of the Amerks' postseason games so far. I have no idea how that works, since Pinner only played in Hershey's last five regular-season games when he signed his contract in 2007. Maybe the rules are different when signing directly with an AHL team as a free agent rather than with the NHL club.

Powers &8^]
                              Wow, I stand corrected. I really should have actually gone to a game rather than relying on their crappy website (which I just realized I mis-read), which I thought said he was not on the active roster. My apologies.
                              That being said, I am quite surprised that he did play. With all of the reinforcements from the Panthers, I didn't think he looked impressive enough to be used at this time of year. I saw him at least twice and only noticed him because I was looking for him specifically.
                              Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 04-17-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                                An athletic department like SU would only join D-I hockey if it were to join a major conference like Hockey East, CCHA, or possibly ECAC.
                                Yet the Syracuse women's team joined the CHA, a conference that doesn't even have an autobid.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X