Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help rename the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help rename the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

I just discovered this thread. How I missed it before I have no idea, but it could've been all my posting in the Cafe. lol

I love you people. hahaha

On topic... It'd be pretty neat if we could just keep "Sioux" or something to do with the Spirit Lake tribe. Or no nickname at all.

Or...
    UND Against the SBoHE
    UND Bored Outta My Mind
    UND Binge Drinkers
    UND Canadians
    UND At Least We're Not the Bison
    Application for Admission to the WCHA:
    http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...apkin_0717.htm

Fighting Sioux
    Michigan Tech Huskies

*I refuse to participate in the Boosh Factor.*

Originally posted by SiouxTechie
    Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)
    Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk
    All that petty whining from the boys and ST comes in and buries it.

Comment

Originally posted by RinkPig View Post
      Have fun recruiting when your called the Flicker Tails. I can just picture coach Hak explaining to the Canandians who come to town about the long standing traditon of the North Dakota Fighting Flickertails, and selling them on how great it is to pull on the Flickertail jersey....
      You do realize that the recruiting process has absolutely nothing to do with a nickname/logo, right?
      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
        You do realize that the recruiting process has absolutely nothing to do with a nickname/logo, right?
        Don't. I don't even bother with him, and I love to pester.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Seminoles: Tribe approves, and $$$

Illini: had to lose the mascot, IIRC, but that's it.

Aztecs/Utes/Fighting Irish: all are fine, for whatever reason
          Illini is technically plural for people from Illinois.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
            Illini is technically plural for people from Illinois.
            I think the mascot he's referring to is Chief Illiniwek, the actual guy dressed up as an Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
              I think the mascot he's referring to is Chief Illiniwek, the actual guy dressed up as an Indian.
              Who is actually modeled after Native American's from the Sioux nation...not any from the Illini, who are extinct.

My other suggestion for a name would be the Raging Reds (for the river you racists )
              THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
              1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
              1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
              University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
              University of Oregon Ducks Football
              San Francisco Giants
              Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

An idiot from the Associated Press has an article in today's St Paul Pioneer Press claiming that UND is the last school to change from Native American team name. When did the Fighting Illini and the Seminoles change their names?

Comment

Originally posted by jorgie74 View Post
                  An idiot from the Associated Press has an article in today's St Paul Pioneer Press claiming that UND is the last school to change from Native American team name. When did the Fighting Illini and the Seminoles change their names?
                  Technically, he'd be right then. Since FSU and UI haven't changed their names, UND is the last team to change. So far.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Going to miss the name. Might just have to dump $$ on the official jersey. My suggestion for the new name is: North Dakota (Fighting) Tribe. Fighting is optional. William & Mary currently uses the nickname and an eagle for the mascot. I can't see where the NCAA would be able to fight that one. I think that would look cool on the jesey as well. Maybe someone can photoshop "Tribe" in the current jersey font with the tomahawks in the center? or "ND"? Other names: Warriors, Generals (just to stick it to em), Natives, Warlords. Really sad to see this even being discussed.
                    Anybody but Northern

Comment

If UND goes with Spirit Lake Sioux or something to that effect, they eliminate the necessity of getting the vote of approval from the Standing Rock tribe, which IIRC is the most of what's making this giant mess.

By sticking with Spirit Lake or some derivative thereof, UND ought to be able to retain their logo, etc - I don't recall reading anywhere that the logo HAS to change, if the name changes to match what they currently have. If they're smart, that's the route they'll take - always assuming I'm right, which is usually a risky gamble.

I would also like to note that Standing Rock is making a huge mistake here, and not just because they are killing a legend. This is their chance to get some leverage: to use the Sioux name, increase monies for tribal scholarships, for one example. Another is to do what the Seminole have done: make some $! Any concerns they have that UND using the Sioux name is having a bad impact on tribal life can be addressed here and now, with bargaining - a lot of chips could be on the Standing Rock tribe's table right now, and they're ignoring it. Granted, I know nothing about tribal politics or the history of Standing Rock and UND. But one would think, if you have leverage over something, and you want change, you'd use it, right? Pretty sure I would...

EDIT: After having read the article by Fool Bear, I correct instances of "Standing Rock tribe" to "leaders of Standing Rock tribe". Sounds like administration is crapping on more little guys...
                      Last edited by WildKitty; 04-10-2010, 06:05 PM.
                      Originally posted by state of hockey
                      Tecate tonight. Haha!
                      Originally posted by state of hockey
                      Ugh. That was a bad idea.
                      Ever notice how, after hockey season, baseball games seem INTERMINABLE??

Comment

Originally posted by Roben View Post
                        Who is actually modeled after Native American's from the Sioux nation...not any from the Illini, who are extinct.

My other suggestion for a name would be the Raging Reds (for the river you racists )
                        Originally posted by wiki
                        The name "Fighting Illini" was retained, as the NCAA rescinded its criticism of the use of the term. The name "Fighting Illini" pre-dates the Chief Illiniwek symbol and was bestowed upon the team in honor of Illinoisans who fought in World War I; the use of the name "Illini" dates to the 19th century.
                        Wow, talk about finding a loophole. Nicely done.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          Wow, talk about finding a loophole. Nicely done.
                          So, all you guys have to do is kill all the sioux?
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Man I got you guys all pis*sy on this thread, I thought I would share some of the comments I got so far; some are pretty funny.

1. I see you are properly red - I'll do my part to keep you that way - sfis
                            2. Don't you have a team to caddy for on the golf course?
                            3. Tard. OS
                            4. You're a moron.
                            5. Bigmrg74 - die in a fire!!
                            6. shut up *********.
                            7. ****** bag. go back to your pig sty
                            8. Go dick yourself
                            9. die

The best one was from sfis because he actually gave me the green light on accident... that must be the UND edumacation.

Comment

The one comment about golf brings up a good point. Shouldn't you be washing Aaron Ness' balls or something?
                              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                So, all you guys have to do is kill all the sioux?
                                You hear that UND fans.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X