Dancing With the Hockey Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancing With the Hockey Players

We have all pondered how to spread the word about women's hockey to the point where it's hard to be original. We know what great athletes we can boast, and the training it takes to be successful in a sport that gets more competitive every year, but gets little recognition.

I have watched, and enjoyed, Dancing With The Stars for years. and thought to myself. if my knees weren't trashed, I would be there in an instant. That is cross training for hockey!

Watching Erika Lawler dance a pre-game pump up, and knowing not only how athletic and camera / press ready so many post college hockey players are, I think think it would be a huge step forward to show the WORLD what great people, athletes, and personalities we have.

Who would you nominate as the next "Dancing With The Stars" star. and how can we get her there?
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Re: Dancing With the Hockey Players

For sure, Ms. Lawler.

I read a bio about Courtney Kennedy that said she wanted to be a video dancer, so her.

I'm serious, we can make a huge statement - figure skaters have nothing on us here.

Let's make some noise!
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

If you find out how let me know, you have my vote - what a great idea!

Comment

As someone who earned a few bucks as a TA (more like mannequin) for ballroom dancing classes in college (a nice way to meet the ladies, if I could say so myself ), I can see a lot of skills that translate very well between hockey and ballroom dancing.

Balance, managing your center of gravity, being able to work with a partner with minimal signals (basically 90% in the man's right hand), all come in handy. And when it came to teaching polka, being able to manuver an experienced instructor through a crowded dance floors while rotating 360 degrees every second and a half, avoiding less experienced dancers has some bearing on the ability to work a puck through a crowd...

I'd bet on a good puck controlling forward on DWTS...

Comment

Originally posted by notfromaroundhere View Post
          I can see a lot of skills that translate very well between hockey and ballroom dancing.
          Though one of the required skills young hockey players aren't usually exceptionally proficient at is moving gracefully and confidently in high heels.

Comment

Hmmm...

I'm gonna nominate Friddy (Laura Fridfinnson) from UMD. From the little I've interacted with her off ice and watched her interact, she seems like a total goofball and could really ham it up on the floor. But let's wait until after her shoulder surgery.

Also, I nominate Mariia Posa. A new freshman defense, Mariia is super sweet, kind. I don't see the crazy personality (maybe it's a Finn thing ) in her but something tells me it would be fun to crack that shell and peak inside. And hell, she plays D. There's gotta be something in there I don't have the privvy to see in her off-ice life.

And if Alumni are legal, for sure Manue Blais. She is the bomb.

Oh god. How can I forget Wilson? Katie Wilson (the duluth version, not the cornell variety) is hilarious.

Wait, can I just nominate the whole team? No? Hmmmph.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
              Though one of the required skills young hockey players aren't usually exceptionally proficient at is moving gracefully and confidently in high heels.

You mean you can't get a 1/2" cut on that stiletto heel?

Comment

I betcha if we let them dance with skates (yes, and blade guards) on, they would rock it.

Comment

Originally posted by just_a_fan View Post
                  I betcha if we let them dance with skates (yes, and blade guards) on, they would rock it.
                  Actually, there was a show on Canadian TV this fall that was that kind of a DWTS spin-off....it featured ex-NHL players making fools of themselves weekly on figure skates, paired with ex-Olympian skating stars. Dick Button and Don Cherry among others were judges.

Comment

Actually, there was a show on Canadian TV this fall that was that kind of a DWTS spin-off....it featured ex-NHL players making fools of themselves weekly on figure skates, paired with ex-Olympian skating stars. Dick Button and Don Cherry among others were judges.
                    That sounds brutal!

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                      That sounds brutal!
                      The funds raised all went to charity. It was a bit cheesy at times, but some of it was pretty good . Maple Leaf enforcer Tie Domi and Montreal Canadian star Stephane Richer both got pretty deep. The ladies were all former olympic skaters. The most interesting part was the sheer size difference, big guys with petite women. Bob Probert was one of the skaters. Flamboyant New York ranger Ron Duguay still got the long locks going.

Comment

Apparently ABC is working on an upcoming show similar to the one CBC did:

http://www.cbc.ca/battle/

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=sobel/091015

Comment

Okay... story time here. As I was leaving the Patty Kaz brunch, I followed Noora Räty and Mira Jalosuo out of the building. After talking about five more uncomfortable-looking steps, Mira took off her dress shoes and kept walking. Barefoot. In March. In Minnesota.
                          Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                          Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                          Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                            Okay... story time here. As I was leaving the Patty Kaz brunch, I followed Noora Räty and Mira Jalosuo out of the building. After talking about five more uncomfortable-looking steps, Mira took off her dress shoes and kept walking. Barefoot. In March. In Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                              The funds raised all went to charity. It was a bit cheesy at times, but some of it was pretty good . Maple Leaf enforcer Tie Domi and Montreal Canadian star Stephane Richer both got pretty deep. The ladies were all former olympic skaters. The most interesting part was the sheer size difference, big guys with petite women. Bob Probert was one of the skaters. Flamboyant New York ranger Ron Duguay still got the long locks going.
                              I think my kid woudl partner with Malkin or Ovechkin...

Comment

Working...
                              X