• Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Women's Hockey: Off Season 2010

Hey, I jumped the gun...shoot me.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: Minnesota Women's Hockey: Off Season 2010

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    Hey, I jumped the gun...shoot me.
    Now don't go tempting 5-4 to go off half-cocked again ....fortunately he's Canadian so he probably doesn't own one (a gun, that is ).
    Last edited by Trillium; 04-05-2010, 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling police

Comment

Hey, I jumped the gun...
      About the only business we still have regarding last season is team awards; those can still be added to the previous thread whether or not this one exists.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Is the banquet coming up soon?

It'll be interesting seeing the awards. Good seasons had by many.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Is the banquet coming up soon?
          Here is the info that I have...
          The annual GWH Banquet is scheduled for Friday, April 23rd, in the DQ Club Room at TCF Stadium on the U of M campus.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Here is the info that I have...
            The annual GWH Banquet is scheduled for Friday, April 23rd, in the DQ Club Room at TCF Stadium on the U of M campus.
            So are the registration forms being distributed soon?
            Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
            Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
            Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
              So are the registration forms being distributed soon?
              If you know somebody on the leadership board, you might ask them. If somebody has an electronic copy of the form, I'll post it on the website. Thanks!

Comment

All things going as planned, the forwards for the 2010-2011 season:

Downey, Samantha, Erickson, Sarah, West, Emily, Schoullis, Jen, Frischmann, Katie, (F/D), Kortum, Becky, Ludwigson, Nikki, May, Laura, Rasmussen, Terra, Bethany Brausen, Sarah Davis, Amanda Kessel, Kelly Terry, Elizabeth Turgeon.

The defenders:

Schleper, Anne, Bozek, Megan, Jalosuo, Mira, Seeler, Kelly & Bayley Gillanders.

The goaltenders:

Grogan, Alyssa, Lura Jenny, & Noora Raty.

It's been awhile and my memory is a little clouded...but I think it was the inaugural IIHF World Women's U18 tournament when Sarah E. and Miss Kessel spent some time as linemates and it looked as though they shared a nice little chemistry. The webstream of that competition the only opportunity I've had to watch Miss Kessel play to date...I thought I saw something good there. I'll just toss that out and leave it there for any potential line combo discussion...which could be extensive given the group of forwards, possibly even sufficiently daunting to wanna leave it to those who get paid to come up with the winning formula. It's a team aspect interesting to ponder and muse over the summer months anyway.

I will say...it will be great to have #24 back on the ice. A player that adds a healthy dose of grit and toughness up front...along with some scoring punch and great two way play IMO. Her return should create a real opportunity for another line with potential for solid impact. A real potential a team definitely misses without her I think. She was missed in 2009-2010...and will be a big plus in 2010-2011.

Maybe we'll see Katie F. on the blueline some in 2010-2011?

I'd guess the goaltending competion will begin anew when the time comes. I hope there are still three competitors for the ice time.

Long summer...take your time.

Summer...I'm taking some rides with the top down if no one objects...or even if they do. And I certainly do hope things go "as planned."
                Last edited by brookyone; 04-07-2010, 03:26 PM.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Maybe we'll see Katie F. on the blueline some in 2010-2011?
                  That would be my expectation, given there should me more demand for a 6th D than a 14th forward (unless there is some other addition.)
                  It's been awhile and my memory is a little clouded...but I think it was the inaugural IIHF World Women's U18 tournament when Sarah E. and Miss Kessel spent some time as linemates and it looked as though they shared a nice little chemistry.
                  I think it depends to a great extent on who plays center. Of those returning, Erickson, Schoullis, Kortum, and Downey have spent time in the middle. When I saw them this year, Davis, Kessel, and Brausen lined up at center as well. We obviously don't need 7, but it is nice that we'll have more options than we did last season.

We also look to have a healthy number of left wings. That seems to be the most obvious position for West, May, Rasmussen, and Turgeon. Although Schoullis lined up at RW as a rookie, I'd prefer her at LW if she's not a C; Kortum is probably in the same boat. And if I'm remembering correctly, both Davis and Brausen shoot left as well.

It can obviously play out many different ways, but if I had to pick one player that I expect will wind up playing center, my money would be on Davis. Even though she has played mostly C at the "U", I think Erickson would be a nice scoring threat at RW.

Summer...I'm taking some rides with the top down if no one objects...or even if they do.
                  Like the song says, "Can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself."

Comment

Downey, Samantha, Erickson, Sarah, West, Emily, Schoullis, Jen, Frischmann, Katie, (F/D), Kortum, Becky, Ludwigson, Nikki, May, Laura, Rasmussen, Terra, Bethany Brausen, Sarah Davis, Amanda Kessel, Kelly Terry, Elizabeth Turgeon.

The defenders:

Schleper, Anne, Bozek, Megan, Jalosuo, Mira, Seeler, Kelly & Bayley Gillanders.
                    I hadn't realized that going into next season there will be 14 forwards (counting Frischmann) vs. only 5 D (not counting Frischmann)! The coach will obviously need to find at least one more capable D, whether it's Katie and/or someone else.

As far as line combinations, other than West likely paired with Erickson on the first unit, it's too early to say, as fun as it may be to speculate! Too many promising new faces coming in, and they all deserve a chance to play their way into the lineup. One thing for sure, there should be a very competitive battle at the forward position to land positions on one of the top three lines. With an extra player or two always there looking for an opportunity, it should keep everyone very motivated to retain their spots.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Ashley Stenerson added to the incoming class. Looks like another person who can play F or D.

Comment

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...shhhhhh...

Not to get to far ahead of the game:

D1 Commitments 2011-2012
                        Two more MN HS Player Commitments

University of Minnesota
                        Meghan Lorence....F.....Irondale HS/MN JR Whitecaps/US U18....Moundsview, MN
                        Gotta be pretty happy with this development for 2011-2012.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=204937179
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                            Now don't go tempting 5-4 to go off half-cocked again ....fortunately he's Canadian so he probably doesn't own one (a gun, that is ).
                            You're right, in Canada they only allow the criminals to carry guns.(LOL)

Comment

I'm assuming there were no 2010-2011 Captains designated at the banquet...and they'll probably be chosen and announced closer to the start of next season. Wasn't it done in similar fashion last year?

Maybe they'll just go with the returning Captains from last season? Any Gopher fans like to see anyone else step into the role of C for the 2010-2011 season?
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X