UMD offseason - 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD offseason - 2010

I second OnMAA and say, "Welcome", Skatefast.

Though, I would say Skatefast has as big, if not a bigger, mouth than I do!! (Don't poke the bear!) *mwwaaah*

Comment

Originally posted by skatefast View Post
      Awww....thanks for the props, OnMAA. I have been reading off and on for sometime, learning and listening, cringing and staying away. Then coming back to get the scoop on the teams coming into the Frozen Four. I held off on creating an account. There's a lot of craziness on these forums and I know when provoked....well....let's just keep it nice, eh?

I guess after this unexpected banner year, I was NOT ready to stop thinking about all hockey all the time and I finally took the plunge and signed up. I had a great time meeting some new fans this year. Fans I had seen and heard, but not that I connected with. Plus, I still need to go over to that Cornell thread and trip over myself with props to the other Big Red. That team was something else!

More than anything I love this sport, love the legacy that UMD has created, and love being a witness to something that I would love to have been a part of if I could turn back time 15 years...or so. Instead, I just yell and cheer and if the hockey gods let me and the girls do their jobs, I run victory laps around Ridder. And sometimes I wear funny things. More on that later...
      Well...there's a breath of fresh air.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
        Well...there's a breath of fresh air.
        I just brushed my teeth. Flossed, too.

Comment

Awww....thanks for the props, OnMAA. I have been reading off and on for sometime, learning and listening, cringing and staying away. Then coming back to get the scoop on the teams coming into the Frozen Four. I held off on creating an account. There's a lot of craziness on these forums and I know when provoked....well....let's just keep it nice, eh?

I guess after this unexpected banner year, I was NOT ready to stop thinking about all hockey all the time and I finally took the plunge and signed up. I had a great time meeting some new fans this year. Fans I had seen and heard, but not that I connected with. Plus, I still need to go over to that Cornell thread and trip over myself with props to the other Big Red. That team was something else!

More than anything I love this sport, love the legacy that UMD has created, and love being a witness to something that I would love to have been a part of if I could turn back time 15 years...or so. Instead, I just yell and cheer and if the hockey gods let me and the girls do their jobs, I run victory laps around Ridder. And sometimes I wear funny things. More on that later...
          You are correct with your assumption on me not being a UMD fan. My allegiances lie with the ECAC and the OUA (Ontario). I was rooting for the Big Red (ivy style) in the FF.

Comment

Originally posted by just_a_fan View Post
            I second OnMAA and say, "Welcome", Skatefast.

Though, I would say Skatefast has as big, if not a bigger, mouth than I do!! (Don't poke the bear!) *mwwaaah*
            I third, and even though I'm a former player and stalwart fan of a team that struggles to get by you for the last few post seasons, welcome!

I don't have any issue with the UMD coaching staff, and hey, um, if you want to hop on a winning train - why not.

I will say that you'd be better off in Durham
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

If I had to root for an ECAC team, I could for sure get behind Cornell. My observations from the FF were:

~ Great team, lots of heart, solid skills, clean playing.
              ~ That goalie? Someone should send her on an all inclusive cruise. She rocked.
              ~ GREAT fans. The guy behind me trying to out yell me was awesome. Loved it. I felt like calling him up to have some tea w/ honey the next morning after 3 nail biting OT's.
              ~ Acceptable mascot. A bear. Ferocious, intimidating. Not a chipmunk, rodent or other vermin that are otherwise considered a pest.

I know, I know. I have tough criteria.

That said, I'm the first to admit I live in a WCHA bubble. I'm trying, really. I am encouraged by the level of play that some of the other WCHA teams are bringing and will continue to bring to the table and ultimately to the 'Dogs next season.
              Last edited by skatefast; 04-06-2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

The guy behind me trying to out yell me was awesome. Loved it. I felt like calling him up to have some tea w/ honey the next morning after 3 nail biting OT's.
                Wait . . . Wait you're not that crazy Dog fan with the collandar are you? Or the NO-GOPHER T-shirt??? If so, we need to connect for season tickets next year, right?

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                  Wait . . . Wait you're not that crazy Dog fan with the collandar are you? Or the NO-GOPHER T-shirt??? If so, we need to connect for season tickets next year, right?
                  Wha? Colander? Like a... SIEVE? I can think of nothing more ludicrous.

Comment

Wha? Colander? Like a... SIEVE? I can think of nothing more ludicrous.
                    That's right, it's not a Sieve, it's a funnel. Way too hillarious . . . the forum has just gotten better by a 1,000%. I sure hope you hang around all summer . . . because it gets loooooonnnnngggg.......

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOL

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                      You will enjoy watching Jenna McParland too. They have lots in common aside from unreal skill. Both are from the Thunder Bay area. Both boarded in Toronto in their teens to play with the Toronto Jr Aeros, where they were coached by Ken Dufton. Both made Team Ontario at age 15, which is quite rare. Both are natural goal scorers.

McParland scored the tying goal for Team Canada in the World U18s this weekend vs the US to force OT in the finals.

I expect she will make a big mark at UMD too. Darn.
                      Okay, I was just re-reading and digesting here. First, I must tell you that Thunder Bay is my Canadian home. Meaning, when I need to get a dose of the Maple Leaf, I head up there and hang with my friends who have dubbed me an Honourary Canuck. Yes, I have an I Heart T Bay shirt and a Aspiring Canadian shirt.

Now you're telling me another T-Bay'er is coming to my fair city? Imagine my joy. Head exploding.... *boom*.

I think next year's colander theme will incorporate the flags of the countries represented on UMD ice, you know, to CELEBRATE the diversity. And if you don't know what the heck I'm talking about regarding the colander, just ask Binnyrus. Holy crap. Next season is coming fast. I've got work to do.
                      Last edited by skatefast; 04-06-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Then there's Haley Irwin. Man I love watching her play. I'm a big fan of the Maple Leaf in general and she's great in maroon and gold, too.
                        Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                        You will enjoy watching Jenna McParland too. They have lots in common aside from unreal skill. Both are from the Thunder Bay area.
                        Time for some T-Bay trivia....

First

Haley is second in line when it comes to T-Bay Women hockey player Olympians winning a gold medal. McPharland could well make it as the third in line down the road. Who was the first in line....Hint.....Think Ivy.

There was another T-Bay native who won gold in Hockey and in the process joined the exclusive triple gold club. Who is this person.....Hint...Think Brotherly Love.

Comment

Katie Weatherston - Dartmouth.

What do I win?

I might add... Thunder Bay's city flag is pretty cool looking. http://tinyurl.com/y8p94bt

I'm beginning to fall in love with Winnipeg when you consider some of the great players, especially the UMD variety, that hail from there.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                            Time for some T-Bay trivia....

First

Haley is second in line when it comes to T-Bay Women hockey player Olympians winning a gold medal. McPharland could well make it as the third in line down the road. Who was the first in line....Hint.....Think Ivy.

There was another T-Bay native who won gold in Hockey and in the process joined the exclusive triple gold club. Who is this person.....Hint...Think Brotherly Love.
                            The second trivia question would be Eric Steel...er I mean Staal.

Comment

Oh jeeze. I forgot to answer part two because I was too busy high-fiving my bad self over the first question.

The Staal brothers have quite a reputation her in MN. Seems the created quite a ruckus on one of the north shore resorts/ cabins some years back. I can't remember the details, I just remember thinking... hey guys-- it's the Canadians. Rowdy? yes. Harmless? Absolutely.

Comment

Oh jeeze. I forgot to answer part two because I was too busy high-fiving my bad self over the first question.

The Staal brothers have quite a reputation her in MN. Seems the created quite a ruckus on one of the north shore resorts/ cabins some years back. I can't remember the details, I just remember thinking... hey guys-- it's the Canadians. Rowdy? yes. Harmless? Absolutely.
                                Harmless till you put a hockey stick in their hands...

Comment

Working...
                                X