Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2010 Offseason I - The Year after the Year after effect

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
    My bad on Werek...I was thinking of him slipping to the 2nd round of last year's NHL draft (47th overall to NYR) when, at one point, he had been projected to be a possible top-5 pick. I believe at this point (Summer 2008) he was still verbally committed to BU.
    Yeah he slipped but I don't know why. He should have been a first round pick, he was IIRC 26th in the draft rankings right before the draft.
    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

My bad on Werek...I was thinking of him slipping to the 2nd round of last year's NHL draft (47th overall to NYR) when, at one point, he had been projected to be a possible top-5 pick. I believe at this point (Summer 2008) he was still verbally committed to BU.
      Yes, for a potential top-5 pick, a point per game would be terrible in the OHL actually. Still would have been a premier player at BU.
      Boston University 2009 Champs
      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Is there any risk of Coyle jumping ship to the pros, depending where he is drafted? Or will the family ties to the school/his development (I don't know how pro-ready his is) keep him committed to coming?
        "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
          Is there any risk of Coyle jumping ship to the pros, depending where he is drafted? Or will the family ties to the school/his development (I don't know how pro-ready his is) keep him committed to coming?
          I'd say there's pretty much no chance of him going pro this fall. Possibly after his freshman year depending on how things go. It seems like most players, even high picks, are sticking around at least two years now, though. Because I have no class for the next 5 days and no final projects, I just decided to do some research. Here's what I found:

Since 2005, there have been 32 NCAA players (either incoming freshman or rising sophomores) selected in the first round of the NHL Draft. Of those 32, only 2 have left before the end of their sophomore year. Phil Kessel left Minnesota for the Bruins after his freshman season, and Jim O'Brien left Minnesota for the WHL after his freshman year. Given the one-and-done mentality of our bouncyball counterparts, I'd say this is a very good sign for college hockey, and also a good indication that Coyle isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post

Not to knock Courtnall, but this is a major understatement. Werek has top-6 forward written all over him. Courtnall... doesn't.
            Maybe Rogie can give a definite answer, but I believe it was Chiasson, not Courtnall, who got Werek's spot. I'm not even certain that Courtnall got a full ride scholarship [not a problem, I'm sure his Dad can afford the tuition. ] Chiasson was the first 2009 forward to commit after Werek decommitted. Chiasson and Werek are roughly on the same level - Chiasson was taken 9 spots earlier in the 2009 draft - so there wasn't much of a drop-off at all.

Actually, BU has done a good job at getting top forwards the last couple of years. But most were recruited while Quinn was still here. The jury is still out on Powers. Exactly what is it that he brings to the table? A great recruiter? Relates to the players well? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
              ...... The jury is still out on Powers. Exactly what is it that he brings to the table? A great recruiter? Relates to the players well? Anyone?
              i asked this last summer - what a guy the same age as Parker would bring?.. people older than i ( ) that know him typed that he had great contacts in ontario and would be able to provide top level recruits.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                i asked this last summer - what a guy the same age as Parker would bring?.. people older than i ( ) that know him typed that he had great contacts in ontario and would be able to provide top level recruits.
                I think from his head coaching days @ RPI & @ Bowling Green, and from his earlier days as York's assistant @ BG, Powers established contacts in Ontario, upstate NY, Michigan and the Midwest in general (USHL, NAHL).

Even though Sahir Gill is not from those regions (although he played in the USHL for part of this season), I believe that Powers played a key role in landing Gill.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                  Maybe Rogie can give a definite answer, but I believe it was Chiasson, not Courtnall, who got Werek's spot. I'm not even certain that Courtnall got a full ride scholarship [not a problem, I'm sure his Dad can afford the tuition. ] Chiasson was the first 2009 forward to commit after Werek decommitted. Chiasson and Werek are roughly on the same level - Chiasson was taken 9 spots earlier in the 2009 draft - so there wasn't much of a drop-off at all.
                  Yes, that's what I heard about Werek/Chiasson.

Re Coyle, obviously many factors will determine how long he stays at BU, but it's a good sign that like Chiasson, he's very accomplished academically, as evidenced by his winning the John Carlton Award that recognizes exceptional hockey skills combined with academic excellence.
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I think from his head coaching days @ RPI & @ Bowling Green, and from his earlier days as York's assistant @ BG, Powers established contacts in Ontario, upstate NY, Michigan and the Midwest in general (USHL, NAHL).
                    How many of those contacts have not yet retired...

Comment

Hearing Vic S. may not be back next year.

Comment

Originally posted by 3hock View Post
                        Hearing Vic S. may not be back next year.
                        Wow. That's... odd. I wonder why?

Photography

Comment

Maybe wants to go play... Like percella did with bentley

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Maybe wants to go play... Like percella did with bentley
                            I guess that makes sense, but can he do that? Wouldn't that require burning a year of eligibility, which he doesn't have?

And it seems like a waste to do it for senior year. Why not just finish, and get a degree. It seems unlikely he's headed for the pros, so jumping ship after three years is just a weird choice.

Photography

Comment

Dunno. Just guessing out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                                Since 2005, there have been 32 NCAA players (either incoming freshman or rising sophomores) selected in the first round of the NHL Draft. Of those 32, only 2 have left before the end of their sophomore year. Phil Kessel left Minnesota for the Bruins after his freshman season, and Jim O'Brien left Minnesota for the WHL after his freshman year. Given the one-and-done mentality of our bouncyball counterparts, I'd say this is a very good sign for college hockey, and also a good indication that Coyle isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
                                I believe you missed at least one; Kyle Okposo left Minnesota halfway through his sophomore year after being drafted 7th overall in 2006.

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
                                Wow. That's... odd. I wonder why?
                                Maybe focusing on academics and thinking he's got no shot at playing next year? It does seem odd.
                                Boston University 2009 Champs
                                Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Working...
                                X