X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Continued from: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
    And those of us who were able to come out sat together cheering. Your point?
    That your arguing yourself in circles.
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Re: UNH Wildcats 2010 off-season thread

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
    Continued from: UNH Wildcats - '10 Playoff Edition

That your arguing yourself in circles.
    You still haven't told me why it is my job to compromise my seat. I don't see how I'm arguing myself in circles.
    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29
      You still haven't given me a good reason on why I have to change my seat. Why isn't my cheering my heart out and losing my voice almost every game enough?
      Because much/most of the arena can't hear the Hosers? (except for the cowbell player.)

Your group, without a doubt the most loyal and vocal of all fans for many years, chooses to sit and cheer against the glass, and, granted, I am no physicist, but I must believe that your sound waves reflect backward and upward, ending somewhere above the band, rather than being carried around the arena. Your lost voice, unfortunately, is lost on most fans.

That said, perhaps you don't consider it your responsibility to lead the student section in cheering. If that's the case, fine. It's up to someone else to take charge.

Volunteers, anyone?
      We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
      ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
      --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
        You still haven't told me why it is my job to compromise my seat. I don't see how I'm arguing myself in circles.
        Because you'll sit in the balcony with the band and students at the Verizon during the regular season, but come playoffs it'd be compromising your seat integrity. If we spent as much time organizing and cheering as we do in disputes like these, the RIT Corner Crew would be our *****. Unfortunately things that should be simple, like getting the loudest people together instead turn in to bickering.
        Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-31-2010, 06:52 PM.
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
          Because much/most of the arena can't hear the Hosers? (except for the cowbell player.)

Your group, without a doubt the most loyal and vocal of all fans for many years, chooses to sit and cheer against the glass, and, granted, I am no physicist, but I must believe that your sound waves reflect backward and upward, ending somewhere above the band, rather than being carried around the arena. Your lost voice, unfortunately, is lost on most fans.

That said, perhaps you don't consider it your responsibility to lead the student section in cheering. If that's the case, fine. It's up to someone else to take charge.

Volunteers, anyone?
          The people we do lead can hear us. I sit where I sit because I find that the best view of the game and I don't really want to have to deal with being further away from the game (sitting up rows) and having to hope that the tall person isn't in front of me.

Also what was so wrong with my seats at the regionals? I bought them through the university, we were in the UNH section cheering with the rest of the UNH fans in the section. There weren't any students there for me to have to go sit with and "lead" so this seems like a silly argument.
          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
            Because you'll sit in the balcony with the band and students at the Verizon during the regular season, but come playoffs it'd be compromising your seat integrity. If we spent as much time organizing and cheering as we do in disputes like these, the RIT Corner Crew would be our *****. Unfortunately things that should be simple, like getting the loudest people together instead turn in to bickering.
            Why are you giving Darci so much ****? It is NOT her job to organize students to cheer. Do you know that at Big Ten schools and the like, they actually employ people to get the cheering section done. Hell will freeze over before UNH spends money on something like that. Please direct your rant towards Marty or Dot.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Do you know that at Big Ten schools and the like, they actually employ people to get the cheering section done. Hell will freeze over before UNH spends money on something like that. Please direct your rant towards Marty or Dot.
              They could wear bright Waste Management vests while they carry their cue cards around the arena

Comment

Why are you giving Darci so much ****? It is NOT her job to organize students to cheer. Do you know that at Big Ten schools and the like, they actually employ people to get the cheering section done. Hell will freeze over before UNH spends money on something like that. Please direct your rant towards Marty or Dot.
                I have said for years that like the marketing student the Ath.Dept. uses they need a group in the stands on game day.

UNH needs cheer leaders - just not necessarily girls with pom-poms. Just people in jeans with Jerseys, even just strategically placed in the student section. UNH also need to focus on getting the students interested in the games. They really haven't need to in the past 20 years. Problem is the Ath.Dept. has essentially tried to drive them away.

Look at it this way the mandatory Ath. Fee is still there and I doubt it is cheaper then when I was in school. However, now there are 1/2 the number of student tickets. They can now sell those "new" tickets essential twice, once in the fee and once to the public. Add to that the "rules" about getting your free ticket which are partially there to allow them to sell those seats twice. Then there is black betty, etc., etc.

I was in school for Snively, Manchester and the Whitt, we had to get tickets at the field house. One week I had projects and exams and literally couldn't get there Monday or Tuesday. So Wednesday arrives and I go to get my ticket. I'm told there are no more student tickets but I can by a G.A. ticket. I was smart enough to see what was going on; well I made a nice scene in the Field house lobby and threatened to go to Foster about ripping off the students. Somebody showed up all of sudden and decide that I could have the ticket I already paid for. How many other student would do that so they got their ticket, today or then? My guess is most would just go away.

Yea reap what yea sow

While the Ath.Dept. IMO has done a great job deemphasizing hockey to the student so they could maximize profits. Now the product isn't as exciting. UNH used to get recruits off just having them in the build for the energy. That is now gone.

To get it back there needs to be a plan and effort:
                1) Market the product on campus, figure out how to make tickets easier for students - create a buzz to the now football culture (the Patriots have helped change the students).
                2) People in the stands to help "teach" and lead cheers. Probably best if it is so obvious what they are doing.
                3) Remind families that this is a college game and so there will be cheering but we will try to keep it PG.
                4)...

I’d be happy to help organize, if I believed the University was committed to fixing the problem. I am now the wrong age group to be one of the leaders in the stands.

Until it gets going again at home don’t even think about the road.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  I’d be happy to help organize, if I believed the University was committed to fixing the problem. I am now the wrong age group to be one of the leaders in the stands.
                  Ain't that the truth. Someone posted that where are the Friends in all this, inferring that we have to get our butt out there and organize those cheers. Well here's a proposition for the youngins'. Get involved with the Friends, or a Friends-like group, and create a cheerleading auxiliary which gets all the students who come to the games involved.

Email me privately, or through the Friends of UNH Hockey website (www.friendsofunhhockey.com) and I'll be glad to take up your cause. But be serious about it, devoted to making it work. No reason why UNH students can't be like those at other schools because, at one time, they were. They were the leaders in all this. But it takes organization and leadership, things that have to fall to those in the correct age group, right JB?

Comment

They were the leaders in all this. But it takes organization and leadership, things that have to fall to those in the correct age group, right JB?
                    They would look at me a laugh, if I tried. I never was cool to start and now that I am 10+ year out of school. Well they would just laugh harder.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

In semi-seriousness because I can't speak for her, it is likely my daughter will be a freshman at UNH in the fall. She's been attending games since she was 5(?) years old, been to many road games - BU, BC, Lowell, Merrimack, NU, HE Championships, NCAA regionals, the 2003 FF - and has attended alumni family hockey day yearly since it was a small event held at the Alumni Center. I suspect that no incoming freshman will bleed blue more than she. If things are as bad as they seem reading this thread she will be appalled at the on campus apathy. She is an excellent organizer and leader, typically not interested in the glory of being in charge (class secretary 3 years, never ran for president or VP) and would be an asset to the cause if not too busy with studies and career oriented activities assuming this gains traction.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Sorry to change the subject here, but has the team released any information regarding next seasons out of conference opponents?

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                          I’d be happy to help organize, if I believed the University was committed to fixing the problem.
                          For several years in the recent past, the Athletic Dept held a "spirit focus group" involving STH and a number of students/alumni (myself, 29, tCBG, Cloud, etc).

Ostensibly the purpose was to address the disintegrating atmosphere at the Whitt and how to improve it.

All too often, imo, it ended up being the AD attempting to get the student/alumni attendees to quell vulgar or off color cheers/chants in the student section, while refusing to even consider our concerns, such as Black Betty.

It seemed like very little changed from the ADs side, while we went out of our way for several years trying to end the "b**ch" tag on the penalty cheer, and the Northeastern/UMass ripoff of "You Suck" during Rock 'n Roll Part II.

Don't expect much help from the AD. If there is to be any change, it will have to be fan led, where people (esp students) ultimately want to be associated with the "cheering" section. Like it or not, popularity matters, so a modern day "Blue Haired Clowns" section is what is needed.
                          113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

There are two different issues; fan noise at the Whitt, and fan noise on the road. And I also think Cloud9 would also have this discussion with her, so at least he's not just hiding behind a USCHO poster name.

At the Whit: if it's not her job to organize students to cheer, how come three or four years ago she took her own personal time (and kudos for doing it) to make a sheet that explained some of the traditional cheers? If it's not that groups job, with the cowbell, and sitting 'front and center', who's job is it? So far as I'm concerned, they who hold the bell (and the signs, etc) will have this sort of thing directed at them, whether it's warranted or not.

On the road: Until students who need to be led start showing up en masse at road games, it's really nobody's 'job' to lead anything. The people that are taking the time to travel don't need anybody to ask them to cheer. I led the organized cheers in Albany, because I was the probably the loudest of the people there. And, generally the person with the cowbell leads most of the cheers, because my voice carried 3 or 4 sections (at most) where the cowbell rang through the whole arena (a couple CU and RIT fans both commented enjoying Go! Fight! Win!).

Student section 'plants':
                            I would gladly do this for free -- but now that I pay for my season tickets, I don't want to have responsibilities in the student section (when I was getting student tickets as a non-student -- shhh! -- I didn't mind as much). To get me to do that, give me GA season tickets. There are times when I miss sitting over there.

What is getting lost in this discussion is that despite their differing ideas as to how to do it, Darci and Rob both want the same thing: as much noise as possible in the Whit. Perhaps another spirit group would be helpful.
                            Last edited by unhpuckfan2001; 04-01-2010, 05:40 AM.
                            I haven't been on here in a year...
                            Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                              Sorry to change the subject here, but has the team released any information regarding next seasons out of conference opponents?
                              I don't know about any others, but I'm looking forward to my first trip out to Lynah, where the Cornell faithful will surely be out for blood after the beat down handed to them in the regionals.
                              I haven't been on here in a year...
                              Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X