Ford Field Rink Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ford Field Rink Installation

Our seats were in R37, and we, like most of those in that section, simply had to vacate. Very limited view of the game. My worst FF experience in over two decades of going to them.

Comment

Originally posted by bgbill1 View Post
      Our seats were in R37, and we, like most of those in that section, simply had to vacate. Very limited view of the game. My worst FF experience in over two decades of going to them.
      You can include Section RS1. $189 for crap seats.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Lets face it. Those who had already decided months ago that the venue would suck,will not likely have their minds changed not matter what. The ice was far from a slush bucket that some "experts" had forecast. But there will be those who have never been within 100 miles of Ford Field who will be glad to tell you how bad it sucked. I have talked to people who were there that said it was pretty good. From what I saw on TV, I've definitely seen choppuer, sloppier ice in plenty of venues this year and have seen poorer ice at the FF on more than one occasion as well, not including the Cincinnati debacle. Did the risers suck? It sure looks like they did. Was the fixed seatung good? From the view from the 200 and 300 levels and the behind the goal seats that I got when I toured the facility during the CCHA tourney, those views looked pretty decent, and if the 300 level was a bit far away, please...of you were in those seats (A) you got what you paid for and (B) you likely wouldnt have been in the building were the tourney at the Joe.
        It goes the same the other way too. If you were convinced it was going to be great and you went, you're not going to be convinced it sucked.

I am extremely glad that I didn't spend any money to go watch this failed spectacle.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Can someone explain to me why the didn't put the ice in earlier? They mentioned on the broadcast that for the NHL outdoor game they put the ice in 3 weeks in advance and it was good and solid by game time, but for this they only completed it like 4-5 days in advance. Putting it in earlier seems like a pretty simple way to ensure the quality of the ice.

Also - why were the riser seats so bad? It would seem that in this situation being closer to the ice is going to be better for sightlines.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter27 View Post
            Can someone explain to me why the didn't put the ice in earlier? They mentioned on the broadcast that for the NHL outdoor game they put the ice in 3 weeks in advance and it was good and solid by game time, but for this they only completed it like 4-5 days in advance. Putting it in earlier seems like a pretty simple way to ensure the quality of the ice.

Also - why were the riser seats so bad? It would seem that in this situation being closer to the ice is going to be better for sightlines.
            $$$$$$
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by shooter27 View Post
              I do not know the exact answer for this, but i'm guessing it has to do with the cost. The NHL has plenty of $ to throw around, but the NCAA/CCHA/Detroit Sports doesnt exactly have the $ to throw around for such an event that is already a hefty expense.

All indications are that the ice was not just "okay" but was "good." There was about a 10 minute stretch towards the start of the first game where the puck bounced a lot and we saw some strange movement, but other than that I thought it looked right and sounded right.

There were no less than 5 skates plus 4 practices, so almost 10 uses of the current ice before today's games. It was well broken in and I thought we saw a very good surface.

now the risers...those can go straight to the dumpsters. Anyone who goes to hockey games knows that the closer you are to the ice, the worse your view. It's always better to be above the glass--the NCAA should have known this when designing the pitch for the risers.
              MICHIGAN STATE
              1966:1986:2007

Comment

I was in permanent seating (section 141) and was very pleased with the view. I had friends upstairs in 244 and they were also happy. I didn't know anyone with riser seats.

I don't think that it's fair to talk about the atmosphere when the first game was an awful blowout and the second game wasn't much closer. I can't remember a Frozen Four semifinal where both games were such stinkers. I'll reserve my vote on the atmosphere for Saturday.

Yes, there were empty seats, but I'd still say it was 70-75% full at any given time. We were right next to the Wisconsin section, and a lot of Badgers left after the first game. Conversely, our section didn't fill until the second game. I wouldn't doubt that they had 30,000 total for both games, but they certainly didn't have that many in there at once.

A failure? Hardly. Could it be done better? Sure. And it will be done better next time, because I'm willing to bet that there will be a next time.
                Last edited by MichFan; 04-08-2010, 11:20 PM. Reason: Correct spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by MichFan View Post

A failure? Hardly. Could it be done better? Sure. And it will be done better next time, because I'm willing to be that there will be a next time.
                  Not if they are smart about it. Despite the blowouts in Denver, that was a great F4. I gaurantee it will be great next year too, given the fact that St Paul gets an avg of 70k (5 games, one of which draws NO ONE) for the Final 5 WCHA tourney. They are used to this.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

To those spinning this as a positive, sorry. I was there. I paid $189 for crap seats not to mention airfare and hotel. It sucked big time. I hope the NCAA never does this again - I won't come.

Detroit did a nice job otherwise.

Comment

Oh, I hope they don't try this crap again. If they do, I'll stay home again.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

as a priority 2, i suggest y'all that got skrewed stick it to the ncaa and stay outta the lottery for a while. teach 'em a lesson

i went into this thinking and opted for the $119 seats off the bat. i figured upper was better and if i paid cheap i wouldn't be setting myself up for disappointment. i got lucky.

the view from 2nd row club seats behind the goal is almost the same to better than i had in buffalo when i first won seats and was also behind the net, but in the top row.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                          I do not know the exact answer for this, but i'm guessing it has to do with the cost. The NHL has plenty of $ to throw around, but the NCAA/CCHA/Detroit Sports doesnt exactly have the $ to throw around for such an event that is already a hefty expense.
                          Not to mention, the ice used for the NHL games is also rented out to local teams and for public skating, which helps reduce the cost of having the ice in that early, especially for games at Fenway and Wrigley, which draw a lot of people wanting to skate there. I doubt the same appeal/interest exists for skating at Ford Field.
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

I think you are all idiots for doing the whole lottery thing anyway. I've attended a handful of frozen fours without purchasing tickets ahead through the NCAA. I've always had good seats, and only once paid more than face value (and that was only $10 more).

You guys all seem to hate the NCAA for selling you $189 crap tickets...but you were the ones that got into that position. Stop trying to prove your allegiance and do what normal people do and you might have a better experience.

For the record, the NCAA did a terrible job pricing tickets to fit their location...that being said, you guys know there are always tickets available for this event at a reasonable rate (except the rare exception like '06) so why would you spend that much...especially knowing there would be mounds of tickets available due to the size of the venue?
                            MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                              I think you are all idiots for doing the whole lottery thing anyway. I've attended a handful of frozen fours without purchasing tickets ahead through the NCAA. I've always had good seats, and only once paid more than face value (and that was only $10 more).

You guys all seem to hate the NCAA for selling you $189 crap tickets...but you were the ones that got into that position. Stop trying to prove your allegiance and do what normal people do and you might have a better experience.

For the record, the NCAA did a terrible job pricing tickets to fit their location...that being said, you guys know there are always tickets available for this event at a reasonable rate (except the rare exception like '06) so why would you spend that much...especially knowing there would be mounds of tickets available due to the size of the venue?
                              I suggest using the lottery when it is in St. Paul.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I suggest using the lottery when it is in St. Paul.
                                That is the frozen four that I only paid $10 over face value for. I spent 10 minutes on ebay to find that price. You guys all know that the frozen four is an easy ticket if you are patient. I have no idea why you guys spend so much money just to be first in line.
                                MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Working...
                                X