Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contact NCAA re: high ticket prices / low attendance at regionals

Folks,

First time poster and BC fan here. I rarely do this sort of thing, but here is the text of an email I just sent to the NCAA. I encourage you all to express similar sentiments. The email address is pmr@ncaa.org

---------
    Hello,

I am writing to express my disappointment at the NCAA’s ongoing policy of raising ticket prices for the NCAA hockey regional games, thus driving away fans. Here are the ticket prices and attendance figures from the last five NCAA regional games I attended in Worcester. Each game was a regional final featuring Boston College.

2001: $20 (11,976)
    2005: $30 (8,695)
    2006: $36.50 (8,742)
    2008: $45.00 (5,911)
    2010: $49.50 (6,054)

Not surprisingly, as ticket prices increase, attendance decreases.

Clearly, this problem is not unique to Worcester; there were only 3,204 fans in Fort Wayne and 3,737 in Albany for those regional finals this year. Even Minneapolis -- a hockey-crazed city with an 18,000-seat rink -- only drew a little over 7,000 fans.

In this economy, fans are choosing to stay home rather than spend hundreds of dollars to watch a college hockey game. What is the NCAA doing about this problem? Are there plans to lower ticket prices next year? If not, are there at least plans to introduce tiered pricing based on seat location like every other major sporting event?

Re: contact NCAA re: high ticket prices / low attendance at regionals

The NCAA made more money in 2010 with higher prices ($299,673) than in 2001 ($239,520). They figured out less fans wasn't a problem if they made more money int he process. As sad as that is, it means the NCAA is unlikely to lower ticket prices considerably unless they can make more money with lower ticket prices.

Comment

I got glass seats to the West Regional for $30....buy on the street and stop whining about ticket prices, it's not like there's a high demand...
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        I got glass seats to the West Regional for $30....buy on the street and stop whining about ticket prices, it's not like there's a high demand...
        Sorry, but this certainly isn't worthy of a

I bought my ticket right after BC won Saturday. $47.50 for a one game regional final is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
          The NCAA made more money in 2010 with higher prices ($299,673) than in 2001 ($239,520). They figured out less fans wasn't a problem if they made more money int he process. As sad as that is, it means the NCAA is unlikely to lower ticket prices considerably unless they can make more money with lower ticket prices.
          Also, in 2001 there were only 2 regionals, with 6 teams at each regional so I'm sure they grossed even more money this year with the 4 regionals. 50 bucks for a college hockey game where the arena is only a 3rd full is kinda crazy though. I'd imagine they'd make a whole lot more money on concessions and such if there were more people at the games as well.
          New Hampshire: only useful for connecting Maine to the rest of the United States.

Comment

They are pricing local families out of the market. That's a group you'd think they'd like to attract.

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
              I'm no economist, but $299,673 in 01 dollars may actually be less than $239,520 in today's. It's probably a wash.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                I'm no economist, but $299,673 in 01 dollars may actually be less than $239,520 in today's. It's probably a wash.
                You're right (though I think you got the years mixed up). It only takes an annual inflation rate of 2.5% to turn $239,520 into $299,673 in nine years. So what's remarkable is that their income has been stagnent to falling.

Comment

It's not at all clear to me that the NCAA sets the prices.

Comment

Originally posted by BCDoubleEagle View Post
                    Folks,

First time poster and BC fan here. I rarely do this sort of thing, but here is the text of an email I just sent to the NCAA. I encourage you all to express similar sentiments. The email address is pmr@ncaa.org

---------
                    Hello,

I am writing to express my disappointment at the NCAA’s ongoing policy of raising ticket prices for the NCAA hockey regional games, thus driving away fans. Here are the ticket prices and attendance figures from the last five NCAA regional games I attended in Worcester. Each game was a regional final featuring Boston College.

2001: $20 (11,976)
                    2005: $30 (8,695)
                    2006: $36.50 (8,742)
                    2008: $45.00 (5,911)
                    2010: $49.50 (6,054)

Not surprisingly, as ticket prices increase, attendance decreases.

Clearly, this problem is not unique to Worcester; there were only 3,204 fans in Fort Wayne and 3,737 in Albany for those regional finals this year. Even Minneapolis -- a hockey-crazed city with an 18,000-seat rink -- only drew a little over 7,000 fans.

In this economy, fans are choosing to stay home rather than spend hundreds of dollars to watch a college hockey game. What is the NCAA doing about this problem? Are there plans to lower ticket prices next year? If not, are there at least plans to introduce tiered pricing based on seat location like every other major sporting event?
                    Welcome to the board Double Eagle. great post and i will be sending them an e-mail as well. I was at St. Paul both days and I was there with 7,000 of my closest friends. Horrible!
                    There is Hope . . .

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                      It's not at all clear to me that the NCAA sets the prices.
                      The NCAA sets a price range, with a Minimum price. The exact rule was quoted in one of the other threads devoted to this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

I bought my ticket right after BC won Saturday. $47.50 for a one game regional final is ridiculous.
                        But you bought it anyway. Vote with your feet if you think the prices are too high; writing a letter isn't going to accomplish anything.
                        Cornell University Men's Hockey
                        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                          But you bought it anyway. Vote with your feet if you think the prices are too high; writing a letter isn't going to accomplish anything.
                          What does me buying the ticket have to do with the price being ridiculous? That's one person. Diehards will pay, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who chose not to.

The bottom line is it's just unfortunate that there aren't better crowds for the regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                            I agree writing a letter will do absolutely nothing....however people shouldn't have to stay at home and not be able to support their teams to get the NCAA to lower prices and fill arenas. Its ridiculous.
                            BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                            National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                            Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Why? Because I was apparently smarter then you and let the scalper take the hit in ticket price? I paid $15 a game for great seats...

I just think it's stupid to complain about ticket price when you didn't have to pay that much...
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                              X