Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: contact NCAA re: high ticket prices / low attendance at regionals

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Why? Because I was apparently smarter then you and let the scalper take the hit in ticket price? I paid $15 a game for great seats...

I just think it's stupid to complain about ticket price when you didn't have to pay that much...
    LOL

ya, we're not as smart as you. my group wanted three seats together and the ability to choose where they were. by going to the box office after the BC-Alaska game, we were able to do this. there's no guarantee that a scalper would offer that. i'm not complaining for myself. i don't care about paying $47.50. i'm talking about drawing better crowds to the regionals in general.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      LOL

ya, we're not as smart as you. my group wanted three seats together and the ability to choose where they were. by going to the box office after the BC-Alaska game, we were able to do this. there's no guarantee that a scalper would offer that. i'm not complaining for myself. i don't care about paying $47.50. i'm talking about drawing better crowds to the regionals in general.
      Fair enough. Though the guy I bought from had several tickets he would only sell as groups...and tickets pretty much everywhere in the arena.

The biggest factor of drawing crowds to the arena is who is there. I was pretty surprised at the lack of Wisconsin fans at the X last weekend.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Fair enough. Though the guy I bought from had several tickets he would only sell as groups...and tickets pretty much everywhere in the arena.

The biggest factor of drawing crowds to the arena is who is there. I was pretty surprised at the lack of Wisconsin fans at the X last weekend.
        As much fun as St Paul is and as wonderful as the X is, I can understand why Badger fans didn't want to drive back to St. Paul to see their team play in the same venue after coming for the Final Five the week before. This is why I still think the "bye week" should be between the conference tournament and the regionals, not between the regionals and the frozen four.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Had ticket prices been reasonable, I very well may have drove to St. Paul to watch UW play Saturday night with my sons. But I can't drop $150.00 on 1 event for 3 of us. No way.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

No kidding... the turnout by both UW and SCSU was kinda sad in comparison to the infestation of green and black the weekend before.
            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              As much fun as St Paul is and as wonderful as the X is, I can understand why Badger fans didn't want to drive back to St. Paul to see their team play in the same venue after coming for the Final Five the week before. This is why I still think the "bye week" should be between the conference tournament and the regionals, not between the regionals and the frozen four.
              i agree with you about the bye week after the conference tournaments.... it gives teams that ran the table like ndakota for example a bit of a break after winning 3 games in 3 days to win the wcha and some time to recover.

im not really interested in an argument saying "well what if a team (unh, yale, etc.) got bounced in the conference qtrs and is off for 3 weeks".... play better.
              NATIONAL CHAMPIONS- 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010
              HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONSHIPS- 9
              BEANPOT TITLES- We'll let BU fans keep track

Comment

Originally posted by superfan11 View Post
                i agree with you about the bye week after the conference tournaments.... it gives teams that ran the table like ndakota for example a bit of a break after winning 3 games in 3 days to win the wcha and some time to recover.

im not really interested in an argument saying "well what if a team (unh, yale, etc.) got bounced in the conference qtrs and is off for 3 weeks".... play better.
                Sadly the WCHA is the only conference that would have such an issue with 3 games in 3 days the weekend before regionals. As for the 3 weeks off, if the 5th place team in the ECAC or CCHA (under the current 12 team format) loses its first round match and still manages to make the NCAAs that would be 4 weeks off...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Not sure I agree with your bye week idea - the single biggest problem is still the ticket prices and the fact that no locals want to attend at that cost - traveling fans aren't the big issue.

But, with regard to traveling fans, consider Wisconsin's situation. Let's say you had one good hockey weekend in you to take off work, etc. You could a) go to the Final Five, or b) go to the regional.

For the Final Five -

- You know where it is, and you can plan in advance - book hotels, travel, etc.
                  - You'll get to see your team play at least twice
                  - You'll get to see some other hockey, too.
                  - You'll get a great atmosphere
                  - They'll be serving beer
                  - And it's all cheaper than the regional

For the regional -

- You won't know for sure where the team will play until less than a week in advance
                  - no beer
                  - small crowd
                  - expensive travel and hotel arrangements due to last minute planning
                  - high cost

So, if you're a fan, why not plan for the set event? Or, plan on heading to Detroit in the hopes that your team qualifies - the FF has all the same advantages - fixed location, advanced planning, better atmosphere, etc.

They treat the regionals like mini Frozen Fours. Big mistake.
                  -
                  "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I am an Ohio State grad who lives in central Ohio. Mrs 86 and I were thinking of making the two-hour drive to Fort Wayne for that regional. I saw the ticket prices and decided we would save our money and just turn on ESPNU instead.

Comment

Since we're talking about Wisconsin fans, let's make it simpler:

Originally posted by blockski View Post

But, with regard to traveling fans, consider Wisconsin's situation. Let's say you had one good hockey weekend in you to take off work, etc. You could a) go to the Final Five, or b) go to the regional.

For the Final Five -
                      - They'll be serving beer

For the regional -
                      - no beer
                      Originally posted by Wreckincrew: "I nominate Clifton for a position on the NCAA Frozen Four host selection plan"

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                        They are pricing local families out of the market. That's a group you'd think they'd like to attract.
                        Totally agree. We are only an hour from Worcester, and our son very much wanted to go, but not at those prices. Until someone in the front office cares as much about growing the fan base and spreading the awesomeness that is Division 1 college hockey, apparently it will always be about profits.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                          I am an Ohio State grad who lives in central Ohio. Mrs 86 and I were thinking of making the two-hour drive to Fort Wayne for that regional. I saw the ticket prices and decided we would save our money and just turn on ESPNU instead.

I don't blame you at all... but that is just so sad. The high ticket prices are going to kill the goose, so to speak -- the loyal fans, and also up-and-coming young hockey players whose parents might otherwise take them to some of these exciting games.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            I'm no economist, but $299,673 in 01 dollars may actually be less than $239,520 in today's. It's probably a wash.
                            You're right on

According to this: http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

the value of $1 in 2001 is about $1.24 in 2010.

$239530 (2001)* 1.24 = $297017 (2010).

Edit: If you add in the extra concessions from the additional attendence in 2001, I'm willing to bet that regional made quite a bit more money.
                            Last edited by sabrestrikealpha; 04-03-2010, 04:11 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

This is why I still think the "bye week" should be between the conference tournament and the regionals, not between the regionals and the frozen four.
                              Agree. This last week has really killed the momentum. I'm already switching over to college baseball.
                              Plus, a bye before the regionals lets fans take advantage of the 1-week advance-purchase airfares, instead of trying to find a flight and hotel on five days notice.
                              2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
                              2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
                              Air Force Falcons
                              2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
                              2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
                              2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
                              2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
                              2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by AFHockeyFan View Post
                                Plus, a bye before the regionals lets fans take advantage of the 1-week advance-purchase airfares, instead of trying to find a flight and hotel on five days notice.
                                As opposed to 3 days notice? That is what you will have if you go back to having the FF the week after the regionals.

Sean
                                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                                NCAA Hockey Financials
                                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                                X