Interesting reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting reading

Found this article describing a college hockey game from 1897 in the New York Times Archives

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...679C94669ED7CF
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Re: Interesting reading

That is just fantastic... hahaha
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

If you scroll down to the bottom they have a basket ball story. Looks like at that time there were 7 players on each team and the final was 12-7.

Bizarro.

Comment

Wow that is really cool. It's interesting how the definitions of the game-play has changed, but the words have not. I like how the goalie "stopped a goal" instead of a shot. That was an interesting find...thanks for posting it!
        Last edited by STATEdude3; 03-30-2010, 02:03 PM.
        MICHIGAN STATE
        1966:1986:2007

Comment

That game was only two years after the first official college hockey game between Yale and Johns Hopkins in 1895. I liked the game delayed by a broken skate, goal posts, position names (no defense), and only one line per team. Even back then they were complaining about ice conditions!
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

A little more searching found a cheat sheet for the rules of the new game. Crazy stuff.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...679D94649ED7CF
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

15 on the ice for one team legally...looks like a Ferris State line change.
              MICHIGAN STATE
              1966:1986:2007

Comment

That's awesome.

Also, I'm wondering if my hometown somehow had a hockey team at that point? Unless it's another Montclair.
                "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

University of Minnesota defeated by Winnipeg Victoria's 11-3 in game played at Athletic Park in Minneapolis on Feb. 18, 1895.
                  Interesting stuff.

I found this from http://vintageminnesotahockey.com

First recorded game for the Minnesota Gophers
                  Last edited by Driftryder; 03-30-2010, 03:29 PM.
                  Originally posted by CavalryNate
                  Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
                    Also, I'm wondering if my hometown somehow had a hockey team at that point? Unless it's another Montclair.
                    I found this on another site:

Although it has not been determined definitely where and when the first game of ice hockey was played in the United States, available records indicate the sport was being played on an organized basis during the season of 1894-1895 in Baltimore, Maryland, Minneapolis, and Hallock located in Minnesota. New York City and St. Pauls School, Concord, New Hampshire. The sport, on a formal basis, may have been played at an earlier date in St. Paul Minnesota; Montclair New Jersey, and in other communities such as those in upper Michigan, northern New York, and In Minnesota and New England communities that border Canada.
                    Who knew? Such a random place to be an early hockey hotbed!
                    "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Four fowards, a point man, a cover point man, and a goalie. Interesting. Would love to see how the games would play out with guys in those positions all game.
                      Boston University 2009 Champs
                      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

rink dimensions in the second article 128x54.... in yards... only 184 feet longer and twice as wide as nhl rinks today

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                          rink dimensions in the second article 128x54.... in yards... only 184 feet longer and twice as wide as nhl rinks today
                          Yeah that really was interesting to me. But look at the number of players on the ice! It's like a football field!

Anyone else notice the interesting grammar used?
                          Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
                          Boston University '06/'08
                          Yale University '13

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                            Four fowards, a point man, a cover point man, and a goalie. Interesting. Would love to see how the games would play out with guys in those positions all game.
                            Don't forget that there was no forward passing allowed - that changes up the positional responsibilities quite significantly.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                              The St. Nicholas Rink field will be 80 feet wide by 180 feet long. This will be a very large one. The usual size of the field is 54 feet wide by 128 feet long.
                              Actually it seems like most rinks were even smaller. However, the picture in the article does show dimensions of 120 yards by 54 yards. Confused?

The goals ... consist of two wooden posts 4 to 6 feet apart and 6 feet high.
                              So it would be either a 6x6 goal or a 6x4, which would be a current goal... turned on its side. Weird.

I also enjoyed the picture captions describing a "hard drive." Very different meaning in 1895 than today, unless of course you're Doc Emerick.
                              Boston University 2009 Champs
                              Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Working...
                              X