No announcement yet.

Thanks for the Memories (WARNING: Long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanks for the Memories (WARNING: Long)

Originally posted by Bob McKenzie View Post
    I hope none of this comes across as self serving. I’m feeling a little sentimental about the end of a phase in our family’s life and when I get like that, I tend to write about it…occupational hazard, I guess. And I really did want to thank everyone, including those who grace these boards and do so (for the most part LOL) with maturity and insight and entertainment. It’s been a terrific ride and just a wonderful four years. So thanks to everyone. I’ve got some roots in the college game now and while I won’t have the direct involvement of being a parent of a player, I won’t be going cold turkey, that’s for sure.
    Not at all.

My Wisconsin season tickets are in the parent's section and over the years, we've had the opportunity to get to know a few of them on a very casual basis. When we first got those seats, I was a little in awe thinking that somehow these people were different than me due to the pedigree of their son's hockey ability. Over the years as new parents came and went, I began to realize that they were just like me, proud of their sons and any accomplishments, critical of a bad pass here and there, living and dying just a little inside with every play. Just like I do watching my own son play youth hockey.

It was brought home to me this past season when Blake Geoffrion got his first(I believe) collegiate hat trick. Danny Geoffrion happened to be sitting next to me that night and after two goals, he was sitting a little closer to the edge of his chair and almost willing the puck to go into the net. When the third goal went in, you could see how pleased and proud he was. He got right on the phone to report it to family members far and wide.

I had the opportunity to talk to Blake two days later at a Skate With The Badgers event that my son always goes to and I told him about sitting next to his dad for that game and how proud he was. I told him that it never ends for parents no matter how accomplished their son becomes or what stage it's on. He looked me right in the eye and said thanks a lot for telling him that.

Glad you had a great parental experience and I appreciate hearing about it in this post. I've never wanted to pry too much with the Badger parents and tend to have more general conversations with them, so your post was interesting and informative.

Comment

Great post

Best of luck to your and your family.
      FLOCK THIS...

~KNOW YOUR ROLE~

Comment

Very well put. I was at the RPI/SLU game where you were signing your book, but didn't get a chance to go down and get a copy. Perhaps I will be able to find it in a bookstore.

Although your son has graduated, I certainly hope you will enjoy more college hockey in the future. I'm sure the SLU community would be more than happy to keep you in their house as a lifetime friend, seeing as how your son graced that team with his presence. I know I feel the same way about the parents of RPI player alumni.

Comment

Excellent story. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

Comment

Thanks for the insight, Bob. All the best for you and Mike in the future.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Glad to hear such a great story.
              Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Wonderful Post, Thank you for typing it out.

Long or not it was time well spent to read it.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Thank you for sharing your son with us...I don't know you or him, but your passion for the game and embracing of it is what makes me love college hockey and those that follow it.
                  MICHIGAN STATE
                  1966:1986:2007

Comment

Bob,
                    You have rekindled wonderful memories of four incredible years that our family enjoyed, following my son's ECAC college carreer over fifteen years ago.

I can assure you, the memories and relationships that you now have from these past four years will last a lifetime.

Your post has made my memories a lot clearer today.
                    From one proud father to another I thank you for this gift.

NorthernLite

Comment

It's been a pleasure to have you not only around as one of the more "famous" parents in college hockey but taking part in and being active in the discussions here on the board.

While Mike isn't going to be playing at St. Lawrence anymore, remember this Bob, you're now the parent of a college hockey alum which gives you the green light to be as opinionated as you want to be and go unchecked.

In all seriousness Bob, we appreciate your presence here as one of the big names in hockey media and for taking your time out here to just be one of the guys.
                      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        USCHO should ask you the permission to publish this post on their front page. Excellent job.
                        I agree 100%. Bob, your post says it all for hockey parents, whether they be the parents of Junior, NCAA or ACHA players. I hope you won't mind that I'm going to post your thoughts on my blog.

For the past 8 years I have seen the tears from moms and dads who realize their son's hockey careers are coming to an end. So many have become friends, and after a couple of years they still don't know what to do with their Fridays and Saturdays!

As JJfP says, don't be a stranger, even though your son has graduated.
                        Last edited by SteveP; 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM.
                        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Fabulous post, Bob. It has truly been a pleasure to meet you and talk with you at any games we were at. Mike brought many great moments to the SLU fan base, and although the team had their share of ups and downs through the 4 years, we are all very fortunate to have such classy and dedicated young men representing the school. Best of luck to all of the McKenzie clan in all of their future endeavors, and hopefully we will be able to catch up at an SLU game sometime down the road.

Comment

Excellent post, and a very nice story. Sounds like an unforgettable experience, i'm sure many on here (including me) would love to be able to share similar experiences. Best of luck to your son and your family.

Comment

Wow, excellent post Bob. It was a great read. Thank you for sharing your story.

Comment

Great post, Bob. I may not have been cheering for the Saints when they visited the Houston Field House, but, finally, I learned this season how much of a class act that Joe Marsh is and what a great program is being run up in Canton. Best of luck to Mike (and all the other SLU seniors) as they continue their careers.

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                It was brought home to me this past season when Blake Geoffrion got his first(I believe) collegiate hat trick. Danny Geoffrion happened to be sitting next to me that night and after two goals, he was sitting a little closer to the edge of his chair and almost willing the puck to go into the net. When the third goal went in, you could see how pleased and proud he was. He got right on the phone to report it to family members far and wide.
                                I think my favorite single moment from this past season was our captain, John Kennedy, Jr. scoring an empty-netter against Quinnipiac on February 19th. It was his first career goal and his father, who I have seen at every game this season, was standing behind my section. The crowd's reaction was fantastic and John Kennedy, Sr. was so excited, high-fiving everyone in reach. It's moments like that which make me love this game.

Again, thanks for the great post, and I'm glad you could enjoy the ECAC for 4 seasons.
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X