Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: An Open Letter to Coach Umile

Fire Enrico Blasi?
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      Fire Enrico Blasi?
      ya!...he can't win the big one.....off with his head..
      PSW
      watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

• Some parallels out there ...

Fire Enrico Blasi?
        Not saying he should be let go ... but there ARE some interesting parallels between where Coach Blasi is right now, and where Coach Umile was about halfway through his UNH coaching career. Alums who worked their way to the head job at their alma mater ... fair amount of success, building over a decade or so ... wicked close call to winning it all, but losing in OT ... lots of NCAA tourney appearances, a few eggs laid, and two conference tourney titles sprinkled into the mix (although Umile got his two a little later on).

Blasi is still young, and I suspect the expectations at Miami may not be at the same level as they are in Durham (fair or not) so I think he's got plenty of time to play things out further, and see if he can indeed take them over the top. But if the '09 FF Finals eventually turns out to be the high-water mark for their program, he's got nothing to apologize for.

But you gotta admit that their showing last night definitely brought back a few nightmarish UNH post-season adventures of the past, no?? Does it happen to everyone at some point? Sure. Over and over?? You tell me ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: Some parallels out there ...

I agree on the parallels. Until he signed his recent extention I thought Blasi would have been a good choice to take over for Coach Umile when he retires.

Comment

• Some parallels out there ...

I agree on the parallels. Until he signed his recent extention I thought Blasi would have been a good choice to take over for Coach Umile when he retires.
            Until I saw how his team *played* (and I use that term VERY loosely) last night, I might even have been persuaded to agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Until I saw how his team *played* (and I use that term VERY loosely) last night, I might even have been persuaded to agree.
              Watching last night reinforced my thinking that the late season hot teams/conference tournament winners are the ones that succeed/over achieve in the tournament and that Coach York recruits Michael Jordan mentality cut your heart out and eat it winners.

Lucia is another possible successor. Not sure how long his contract runs, but if MN stays on the current track it may not matter.

Comment

Watching last night reinforced my thinking that the late season hot teams/conference tournament winners are the ones that succeed/over achieve in the tournament and that Coach York recruits Michael Jordan mentality cut your heart out and eat it winners.

Lucia is another possible successor. Not sure how long his contract runs, but if MN stays on the current track it may not matter.
                It sounds like the consensus in Minnesota is that if the Gophers miss the ncaa's again next year, Lucia will be out. If UNH looks to him as a savior of sorts, they've got a bigger problem, however.
                "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                  If UNH looks to him as a savior of sorts, they've got a bigger problem, however.
                  ?

Comment

Lucia's program has taken a similar nosedive to Umile's since 2003. The difference is that Lucia can get just about any recruit he wants out in Minnesota and still can't get one of the most storied ncaa programs into the tournament.
                    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

If you can't succeed year in year out at MN how are you going to be able to do anything at UNH.

Pressure is higher at MN but the job should be easier as the talent is right in your backyard. One thing Umile does really well is getting the talent he gets to play well enough all year to get to the NCAAs every year.
                      Last edited by JB; 04-09-2010, 02:30 PM.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Thanks for knowledgeable, make me think and reconsider posts unlike what was going on on that other UNH thread last time I checked.

Comment

• Group hug for the alumni ... goes a long way??

This arrives courtesy of a friend of mine who also just happens to be a BC alumni, who BTW is NOT named Fitzy or Sully, or a variation thereof:

Dear fellow BC alumni:

Yesterday afternoon I returned from a rousing campus celebration of our national hockey championship. I had the opportunity there to thank all the members of the BC community who attended for their support of our team.

But I wanted to write all BC alumni to thank you as well. Whether you're a big fan of BC hockey or not, the reality is that your spirit and dedication to our alma mater makes the success of our hockey program possible.

Each year, when I recruit young men to play for Boston College, I know that you are at my side. The support of our alumni and the character of our community plays an important role in the decision that all of our student athletes make to attend BC, and I want you to know how much I appreciate all that you do to reflect the best of Boston College, day in and day out.

So allow me, as a proud member of the Class of 1967, to express my thanks to you. BC and I depend on your support, and I am grateful for all that you can do to keep BC strong for this and for future generations of students.

Ever to Excel!

Jerry York

Serious question - as a non-UNH alum but former (and probable future) Friend of UNH Hockey, I've never seen any widespread direct communications from Coach Umile like this. There have certainly been some "feel good* moments in the past, and I wonder if he's ever taken the opportunity to reach out like this to his fellow alums to thank them publicly for their support?

Not advocating one way or the other ... truly just curious, as I can't imagine Coach Umile (who like Coach York is an alum of the program he's coaching) taking a similar approach ... but willing to entertain feedback to the contrary?

Personally, I think Coach York's approach is spot-on and very laudable ... and it's nice he had his secretary edit out some of his Elmer Fudd tendencies!

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                            It sounds like the consensus in Minnesota is that if the Gophers miss the ncaa's again next year, Lucia will be out. If UNH looks to him as a savior of sorts, they've got a bigger problem, however.
                            I'd jump all over him. Lucia has a connection to Scarano, and was a huge success at CC, and likes UNH (his son almost went here). His recruiting market of the BCHL that he exploited at CC would be perfect here. If he's in a bad spot of having too many Minn kids throw themselves at him, then perhaps we could solve that.

And having two trophies doesn't hurt his cred.

Serious question - as a non-UNH alum but former (and probable future) Friend of UNH Hockey, I've never seen any widespread direct communications from Coach Umile like this

Just last year. Unfortunately, the NCAA put us on probation for it. Probably best to keep this coaching staff away from computers.
                            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-13-2010, 11:38 AM.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Ouch!!

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              Just last year. Unfortunately, the NCAA put us on probation for it. Probably best to keep this 80s coaching staff away from computers.
                              Good point ...

Comment

[QUOTE=NCAA watcher;4748168] If he's in a bad spot of having too many Minn kids throw themselves at him, then perhaps we could solve that. QUOTE]

ya, it's tough having 10 NHL draft picks from Minn. throwing themselves at you........how are you suppose win and make the NCAA"s with that problem...
                                PSW
                                watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Working...
                                X