Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An Open Letter to Coach Umile

Originally posted by JB View Post
    I thought there was an alumni game just last August.
    I do not believe so. There had been one for the previous few years, but not last year.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

If I google it I see - Bob 77 and Bob 52 both of Rye. Gary would be 62 this year so the connection is some relative. Maybe brother?

I have a hard time believing Umile (as loyal as he is, to a fault) not responding to a former teamate as Gary would have been a senior D-man on the same team as Umile sophomore year.
      Unless he has a personal address for Umile, I believe all e-mails to the coach actually go to his Administrative Assistant, who may or may not recognize a name that the coach would.
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
        Unless he has a personal address for Umile, I believe all e-mails to the coach actually go to his Administrative Assistant, who may or may not recognize a name that the coach would.
        I look at it this way. If I was Gary and had a message for a former teammate I would pick up the phone and call. Having played on the same UNH team somehow I think that phone call gets connected or returned.

If I send coach Umile a letter I would be surprised if he even sees it. I have been to enough talks by coach Umile that I am fairly certain he recognizes my face. May even know my name (more likely just my last) as he and my father have worked together on a few things. More likely he just sees me as a fan (or a stalker).

Also appears to be a Bob 38 of Rye who is potentially a son of Gary.
        Last edited by JB; 04-01-2010, 12:00 PM.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Somewhat apropos of this topic,

"Dick Umile Named Finalist For Penrose Award,
          8th Time As A Finalist For Umile"

http://www.wmur.com/sports/23017594/detail.html
          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

List of finalists - snagged it from an announcement about Eaves on UW website

2009-2010 AHCA Men’s Ice Hockey Division I Coach of the Year Finalists
            Enrico Blasi, Miami*#@
            Mark Dennehy, Merrimack*
            Mike Eaves, Wisconsin#
            George Gwozdecky, Denver*@
            Nate Leaman, Union*
            C.J. Marottolo, Sacred Heart*
            Tom Serratore, Bemidji State*
            Dick Umile, New Hampshire*@
            Wayne Wilson, RIT#
            Jerry York, Boston College#

* Conference Coach of the Year
            # NCAA Frozen Four Participant
            @ Previous Winner of the Spencer Penrose Award
            Last edited by JB; 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM.
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Congratulations to Coach Umile. How has York not won this award?
              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Oversight

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                Congratulations to Coach Umile. How has York not won this award?
                Especially after the '07/'08 season. Glaring omission ... ... maybe he gets it this time around?
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                  Umile would probably get confused and think Chuck was sending him the sequel to the Godfaddah.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

What, no TIMMAY???? After he did the outstanding job of leading his team to two games over .500?

There's no justice, I tell ya!!
                    Last edited by rufus; 04-01-2010, 01:46 PM.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Who let this guy in??

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      Umile would probably get confused and think Chuck was sending him the sequel to the Godfaddah.
                      Long time no see, Jon. Hope all is well. Is the PC faithful yearning for a return to the glory days under Paul Pooley yet??

Just to recap - I didn't/haven't written anything to Coach Umile, other than what's at the front of this thread. But apparently someone with long-term ties to the program has reached out several times with some ideas on how to build additional ties with the UNH hockey alumni, hasn't heard back, and now has gone public with it in the "Letters to the Editor" section of the Portsmouth Herald yesterday (3/31/10). I probably set him off here.

I guess now we're debating if it's a mountain or a molehill ...

Comment

Umile used to have his own email address, but no longer. His administrative assistant screens them all. But call the hockey office at the appropriate time, state your case, and you can probably get through.

Gary Jacquith is my era (and from Lynnfield to boot), he played with Umile, so if he called the coach I am certain that they would talk. I have no idea who Bob Jacquith is, but he is unbelievably misinformed. The Friends of UNH Hockey have underwritten (ice time, jerseys, refs, post-game gathering) the alumni game for several years. It is routinely played the same weekend as the Friends Golf Tournament which is always the first Monday in August. It is done then because a lot of former players come into town for the golf and, given the opportunity to skate at the Whit with their old buddies, or those they have heard or read about, they lace them up.

Despite how hard the committee that organizes the alumni game works, participation in the game has dropped off. A few years ago there were enough players to have two games. Two years ago they barely had enough players for one game. I don't want to speak out of turn, but I do believe a game is in the works for this year. I'll keep everyone posted.

I also want to take this opportunity to put a plug in for the Friends. I hope everyone knows that the organization raises a lot of money for the hockey team, primarily through the golf tournament, 50/50 raffle, and concession sales. I can assure you that the finances of UNH Hockey would be a lot more dismal without the efforts of the Friends.

What I really don't like is when I hear the Friends is for old fogies or it is elitist, or it is cliquish. We are an organization that puts in a lot of time and works hard at what we do. Our good friend Gibber has been on the board of directors for several years because he took the time to make himself known, and put the effort in to earn a spot on the board. We have other younger members, including the original (well maybe not) Cowbell Guy. These folks have good ideas, just like the ones I read on various threads here. I encourage all of you who participate here to think about joining and participating in Friends activities. Without new blood, any organization will whither and die. That would not be good for UNH Hockey. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Re: Who let this guy in??

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Long time no see, Jon. Hope all is well. Is the PC faithful yearning for a return to the glory days under Paul Pooley yet??
                          You need to post more often. I believe the current president's attempts to built art buildings and focus of the schools' Dominican background is probably an attempt to distract us from the fact that PC's two marquee sports are dead last in their respective conferences.

We're working a group mea culpa to be sent over to South Bend, IN.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Friends

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Despite how hard the committee that organizes the alumni game works, participation in the game has dropped off.
                            A few years ago there were enough players to have two games. Two years ago they barely had enough players for one game. I don't want to speak out of turn, but I do believe a game is in the works for this year. I'll keep everyone posted.
                            That would be excellent.

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            I also want to take this opportunity to put a plug in for the Friends. I hope everyone knows that the organization raises a lot of money for the hockey team, primarily through the golf tournament, 50/50 raffle, and concession sales. I can assure you that the finances of UNH Hockey would be a lot more dismal without the efforts of the Friends.

What I really don't like is when I hear the Friends is for old fogies or it is elitist, or it is cliquish. We are an organization that puts in a lot of time and works hard at what we do. Our good friend Gibber has been on the board of directors for several years because he took the time to make himself known, and put the effort in to earn a spot on the board. We have other younger members, including the original (well maybe not) Cowbell Guy. These folks have good ideas, just like the ones I read on various threads here. I encourage all of you who participate here to think about joining and participating in Friends activities. Without new blood, any organization will whither and die. That would not be good for UNH Hockey. Just my 2 cents.
                            I've heard that charge leveled by others before, but as someone who used to be a basic-level member of Friends for several years - admittedly mostly to allow our kids to get autographs from their favorite players! - that was never our impression. Certainly there are various membership levels, and the more active (and generous) you wish to be, the more access you get to certain things. But as someone who participated on a minimal level, and kept a low profile (and was very happy to do so) ... I never felt we weren't getting good value for our membership. And we got to meet a lot of people that shared our interests in UNH Hockey - some from this board, past and present.

My guess is that folks aggrieved by Friends being "elitist" or "cliquish" might look at the things the higher-value memberships get you access to that the lower levels don't, and wish they had more access for less money? Clearly, students and younger fans/alums might not have the financial flexibility to pay for "Center Ice" memberships. But you get plenty of access even for the "Family" rate. The post-game skybox gigs alone are very good value.

I've always felt that one of the great things about college hockey is that it's very accessible on any number of levels if you get involved, ask around ... or simply aren't afraid to say "hi" to one of the non-participating coaches at the Hockey East tourney (for example). It's amazing how accommodating and friendly most of these people are. And you don't even need to be a "Friend" to make that happen. It's stuff like that which keeps me coming back.

Having said that ... I'm not sure Coach Umile revels in the PR stuff, and I'm not sure if that's a sticking point for some of the disaffected "Friends" who might want him to do more on that front? I'd love to get the impressions of folks here on that issue. I recall that many moons ago, one of the things our UMaine-iac friends used to rave about with Walshy (RIP) was his accessibility, and willingness to engage them when the opportunity arose. So when Walshy got himself in hot water, the UMaine-iacs were very protective (I seem to recall the term "apologists" being thrown around these parts frequently ) and maybe that was one of the main reasons why? Is Coach Umile capable of meeting the PR demands of his position at this stage of his career? And if not ... isn't that another argument in favor of bringing in "new blood" to assist?
                            Last edited by Chuck Murray; 04-02-2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Re: Friends

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Having said that ... I'm not sure Coach Umile revels in the PR stuff, and I'm not sure if that's a sticking point for some of the disaffected "Friends" who might want him to do more on that front? I'd love to get the impressions of folks here on that issue. I recall that many moons ago, one of the things our UMaine-iac friends used to rave about with Walshy (RIP) was his accessibility, and willingness to engage them when the opportunity arose. So when Walshy got himself in hot water, the UMaine-iacs were very protective (I seem to recall the term "apologists" being thrown around these parts frequently ) and maybe that was one of the main reasons why? Is Coach Umile capable of meeting the PR demands of his position at this stage of his career? And if not ... isn't that another argument in favor of bringing in "new blood" to assist?
                              My father is part of Rotary and his club has Umile in every year before or early in the season to talk. I make a point of going to that talk as a guest, if I am not traveling (example missed one year as I was in China on business). At those talks Umile does a great job of the PR thing. But that is a small group of professionals and not likely to pitch any wicked curves at him.

Inside Hockey puts the mid week and post game press conferences online. It is probably new for him to have a camera but that is an area he might want to smooth out the performance.

At most friends gatherings it is one of the assistants - seemed this year mostly Lassonde.

Comment

Re: Friends

At most friends gatherings it is one of the assistants - seemed this year mostly Lassonde.
                                I think I would go to them too if (at age 50) my other option for a Friday/Saturday night was going home to my mother .
                                "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                                X