Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it the journey or the trophy that counts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it the journey or the trophy that counts...

So maybe the question should be asked differently because everyone agrees a team wants to win a championship. Perhaps, the question should be, if a player enrolls in a school and hopes to win an NCAA championship, but doesn't win one in his four years, does he regret his decision or the journey?? And the fans that followed him and went to the games, do they regret it?

I am a huge Red Sox fan so maybe I am the wrong person to ask, but I remember some really fun games and pennant races before 2004. Also, I am not sure what was better, winning the World Series, or shutting up Yankee fans!
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      /troll on

"The journey is whats important" is the topic of discussion for teams/individuals who don't win titles. If coming in 2nd place (or lower) is such a great journey, why have championships at all? Just call every game a draw and we can all end up 0-0-36 at the end of the year.

This era of "everyone deserves a participation banner and a pat on the back" is annoying.

It's great to have goals leading up to winning, and achieving them along the way. But they aren't THE goal.

/troll off
      Let's see:
      1) Miss/misinterpret original point of thread
      2) mis-represent intent of thread
      3) bring up some cliché that no one else has mentioned, but might kinda fit if one were to take things to the extreme
      4) make it seem like anyone who agrees with initial point is a loser
      (5)
      6) Profit)

yup, that's a nice troll, right there.
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
        An a long time RIT fan, I would say they could be very happy with the journey, as well they should. But the journey is not yet done. Winning a regional is one thing - especially when not very many people think they you can do it is one thing. Now they can see the summit and the journey changes. I think that NOW the RIT players will be more dissappointed if they don't win the championship than if they lost against DU or UNH because they are so close.
        Its not over yet, but it will be over after April 8th.
        A Badger living in Buckeye country.
        Originally posted by MadCityRich
        He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
        Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
        Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
        "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

You're there to win the trophy. That's all that matters. Now.

Later on you'll appreciate the journey.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
            Its not over yet, but it will be over after April 8th.
            Didn't Denver think that March 26th?
            and UNH on March 27h?

Should be a fun time no matter what as this will be my first DI Frozen Four.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I understand your point JFgopher, and maybe when I was in the midst of losing in the national semi's I would agree 100%, so it must be that time allows perspective.....joecct is correct.
              One of the reasons I started thinking about this issue was because of the NCAA basketball tourney....obviously as a hockey nut, I am jealous of their exposure and populace interaction, but let's say I am from Texas, and a MCDonald All-American...do I go to a school in-state to enjoy my sport and hope to briing prominance to that school, or do I have to go to say Kansas, or Kentucky, so that I have 100% better chance of winning a NC.....see what I mean? Do all athletes have to strive to compete at a D-1 level or can they go to D-3 and not have the 24/7 schedule that D-1 demands......those of us with perspective, (ie. are old) wouldn't have it at that age, thus the original question......

Comment

My point is that for 50 college hockey programs, winning the Trophy is not realistic. Whether or not you want to include the Rodents in that 50 is up to you.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

An a long time RIT fan, I would say they could be very happy with the journey, as well they should. But the journey is not yet done. Winning a regional is one thing - especially when not very many people think they you can do it is one thing. Now they can see the summit and the journey changes. I think that NOW the RIT players will be more dissappointed if they don't win the championship than if they lost against DU or UNH because they are so close.
                  Lots of people are rooting for RIT....why not...true cinderella story. If you can get two more wins in that tourney you will have earned it, that is for dang sure!!
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                    Lots of people are rooting for RIT....why not...true cinderella story. If you can get two more wins in that tourney you will have earned it, that is for dang sure!!
                    You are a master of the obvious, friend. Good work.
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Should be a fun time no matter what as this will be my first DI Frozen Four.
                      I'm going to stick to my story...do I think we can beat Wisconsin? No probably not....Is that going to stop me from cheering my brains out? No way!

At this point I just want to be at the game...anything else is a bonus.
                      Last edited by Mania; 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM.
                      RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

If a team doesn't win there isn't much of a journey, the trophy designates that a team completed the journey.......pretty simple.

Comment

I suppose the question could be rephrased as: to the fans of the 54 schools that are not in the F4 this year, are you proud of your team's accomplishments, or do you consider this season a failure?

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                          Maybe he spends the remaining 23 hours of his day posting on this message board like you do.
                          Or responding to the same poster over and over again.

No wait, someone else does that...
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                            are you proud of your team's accomplishments, or do you consider this season a failure?
                            Why can't it be both?
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Why can't it be both?
                              You're proud of your team for failing?
                              -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                                This pretty much tells the whole story about you.....LOSER ON LINE!
                                Ditto.
                                Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Working...
                                X