Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Any idea/guesses as to who the AC's will be?
    Yes. That I'm at liberty to discuss? No.

I'm curious to see if any of them will have previous ties to the program at all. Right now, I don't begrudge Johnny McCabe for taking the Finlandia job, but I wish we were only hunting one AC and not two.

Lou has a good list of candidates, though. He mentioned that he's started winnowing down the list, though, and plans to have hiring done by the end of the month. If he's going to have folks in 20 days, knowing UAH's HR practices, he better be close.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
      I figured as much, it's just frustrating. The arena needed a face lift, but I dislike driving out of town for home games. Still, I'm starting to wonder if season tickets this year might be an imprudent investment given how construction schedules tend to be. Of course, having to replace Bryan in the front office is going to make the ticket issue fun.
      I can't drive distances, so season tickets are not going to happen for me, just buy a general admission to a game or two and maybe next year if the team is still around I'll buy season tickets again!

Comment

Will the Birmngham games be played at the BJCC or in Pelham. JYoung, my sympathies on the 280 traffic. It can be downright ugly on a Friday!. Best just to sit at Superior Grill, have a margarita and let it pass!
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by dondowski60 View Post
          I can't drive distances, so season tickets are not going to happen for me, just buy a general admission to a game or two and maybe next year if the team is still around I'll buy season tickets again!
          Now, hold on. Two things:

1. Doubting that UAH will be around after this season is wholly unfounded. Scheduled games exist 2013-14.

2. There's no guarantee that there won't be an ST package of just the Huntsville games. In fact, I'd be surprised if the Nashville series is part of the base ST package. Now, I expect that ST holders will get priority on Nashville seating.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by dondowski60 View Post
            It's my understanding the Nashville games WILL NOT be part of the season ticket package. I'm not sure of the Bham games since they were originally scheduled for the IcePlex but I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Supporting the Chargers means ALWAYS buying season tickets. You can always give any you can't use to potential new fans as I have done for years with the EXTRA reserved seats I always buy. Come on... you can do it!!!
            Doug
            UAH 1974
            Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
            Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
            Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
            Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
            Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Will the Birmngham games be played at the BJCC or in Pelham. JYoung, my sympathies on the 280 traffic. It can be downright ugly on a Friday!. Best just to sit at Superior Grill, have a margarita and let it pass!
              My understanding is that the games will be in Pelham.
              UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
              2006 Time Person of the Year
              Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
              It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                My understanding is that the games will be in Pelham.
                Too bad its not at the BJCC. Even if you just open the lower bowl, its a great place to watch a hockey game. Pelham is decent, and likely far less expensive.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                  Supporting the Chargers means ALWAYS buying season tickets. You can always give any you can't use to potential new fans as I have done for years with the EXTRA reserved seats I always buy. Come on... you can do it!!!
                  Two years ago, I bought six season tickets and never sat in a one of the seats. Always gave them away to co-workers. I guess that since I no longer am a NASA contractor, I can give them to anyone I like in town without worrying about it being a gratuity.

It's my understanding that those of us with connections are using "It's my understanding" a lot. It's amusing me.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

The VBC had everything to do with it. The IcePlex was the first place those games were going to been played... think about that for a few moments and I think you'll see that Bham is a better choice. I've got my photo platform between the benches in the IcePlex but after the Fire Marshall cuts off the home crowd at around 350... what were the other 2,000 or so fans going to do??? I know it's not ideal but hey, we may pick up a fan or two down there... Maybe even a UA club hockey fan or two. It'll be their first chance at seeing DI hockey in B'ham. (Terry will correct me if I'm wrong about DI hockey in Bham...)
                    Its well worth a shot, Might be worth trying to set something up with some of the other school clubs in the area, Bama, Auburn, heck, does UAB have a club team?? They might be just happy to tag along for a weekend series in a bigger venue perhaps.
                    It's my understanding the Nashville games WILL NOT be part of the season ticket package. I'm not sure of the Bham games since they were originally scheduled for the IcePlex but I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

amen to that. Season tickets are the best way to support the team.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Since Auburn now has a club team, a Bama/ Auburn matchup as part of a double header would be a great idea. Roll Tide!

Comment

Um, no. I know you're being a silly here, but it's touching a bit of a nerve. I'd love to be flush enough with money to be able to do what you do, and I think it's a great idea to share the enjoyment of hockey, but I don't have the luxury. We're near enough to broke as it is, and hockey is our only major entertainment expenditure right now (we see about 3 movies a year by comparison), so if we're not using the tickets then we can't afford to buy them. Now, if you want to help me find a paying job, I'll quit belly aching about it and pony up the cash without complaint. But until then, we're already giving as much as we reasonably can.

Supporting the team can't just be a strict consideration of monetary sums allocated. It has to include the actual emotional support for the program. That we can give in spades, but until our finances shore up, I have to consider the practicalities.

The trip to Nashville? Parent's condo. Trip to Michigan? My best friend is an MSU grad. I got my dad to pick up half the trip to Indiana last year. We'll pull as many strings as necessary to make it work on a tight budget, but not sitting our backsides in those seats isn't going to be one of those options.

Such as it is, we're annually budgeted for 1 NHL game (usually when Detroit is in Atlanta or Nashville), a pair of season tickets to the Chargers, and a small donation to the Blue Line Club. We're also still waiting to hear from Geof on those road blues. We've put aside money from our Anniversary to buy a pair of them. This is what we can do.

Comment

Mercyhurst dates and times have been added to the list.
                          http://www.uscho.com/schedules/team..../gender,m.html

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                            Um, no. I know you're being a silly here, but it's touching a bit of a nerve. I'd love to be flush enough with money to be able to do what you do, and I think it's a great idea to share the enjoyment of hockey, but I don't have the luxury. We're near enough to broke as it is, and hockey is our only major entertainment expenditure right now (we see about 3 movies a year by comparison), so if we're not using the tickets then we can't afford to buy them. Now, if you want to help me find a paying job, I'll quit belly aching about it and pony up the cash without complaint. But until then, we're already giving as much as we reasonably can.

Supporting the team can't just be a strict consideration of monetary sums allocated. It has to include the actual emotional support for the program. That we can give in spades, but until our finances shore up, I have to consider the practicalities.

The trip to Nashville? Parent's condo. Trip to Michigan? My best friend is an MSU grad. I got my dad to pick up half the trip to Indiana last year. We'll pull as many strings as necessary to make it work on a tight budget, but not sitting our backsides in those seats isn't going to be one of those options.

Such as it is, we're annually budgeted for 1 NHL game (usually when Detroit is in Atlanta or Nashville), a pair of season tickets to the Chargers, and a small donation to the Blue Line Club. We're also still waiting to hear from Geof on those road blues. We've put aside money from our Anniversary to buy a pair of them. This is what we can do.
                            My statement of "Supporting the Chargers means ALWAYS buying season tickets." always has an implied "if you can afford it" attached. I mean't no disrespect to anyone but more a nudge in the direction of maintaining past support, if at all possible. In fact, my main thrust was not at you at all but more at the fan that can no longer drive "distances" and further assumed the Nashville games were included in the season ticket package and thus was not going to buy season tickets this year because he/she couldn't make it to the away "home" games and possibly thinking they would be much more expensive. I'm expecting the season tickets to be as reasonable as always and the Nashville games to be optional extras. Haven't found out about the Bham games yet. I always encourage ticket holders to give their tickets away to potential new fans whenever they cannot use them, especially since scalping them may be an iffy proposition...

Let's face it, until the VBC renovations are complete, no one knows exactly when we can guarantee games in the VBC as needed. The fact that we have more home games this year (Translation = other teams are coming to us!) is something to be celebrated even if I have to drive 80 - 100 miles to see them.

Keep supporting the Chargers in any way you can... just keep supporting them!
                            Doug
                            UAH 1974
                            Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                            Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                            Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                            Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                            Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

I just give to the BLC. And, quite honestly, I'd rather see people who have no intention of attending game give that money to the BLC and allow a fan who's gonna scream his or her head off at games sit in that seat.

JMHO.

Mike Anderson

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Since Auburn now has a club team, a Bama/ Auburn matchup as part of a double header would be a great idea. Roll Tide!
                                Again. We shut them down the last time back in the 80s after posting a 27-0 victory.

Mike Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X