Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
    Are both games in Gnashville? Is there any source that specifically indicates Gnashville as the site?
    There would be no reason to play at 1 p.m. on Saturday if it was anywhere else, and if the game were anywhere but Bridgestone (or LP Field, but that's a different animal altogether), then you might as well play it at the iceplex in HSV (assuming that half the reason for the move is a conflict with the VBC).
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by fangers
      Looks like that could be a fun road trip...couple UAH games, Preds/BlackHawks, Grand Ol Opry, nice bars along the main drag...
      Just remember Nashville is still recovering from those massive floods and I'm not certain if everything will be completely back in order even that far out. I know my father is refusing to use the condo we have in the area because it was under significant amounts of water and he's not certain they'll be able to get the mold out. The same may be an issue for the Oprymills Mall, etc. up along that stretch. I'm hoping that they do get it cleaned up though.

If you're looking for a decent meal, lunch time, my favorite spot is the Noshville down by Vandy. Other things in the area include a pretty good zoo (I know, we're talking January).

I think we're planning to make the trip up if I can get those days available. We'll be Pred fans for the day just to root against the 'hawks.

Comment

New UAH hockey coach to be announced at 1:30 p.m. on Friday.

Geof
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
          There would be no reason to play at 1 p.m. on Saturday if it was anywhere else, and if the game were anywhere but Bridgestone (or LP Field, but that's a different animal altogether), then you might as well play it at the iceplex in HSV (assuming that half the reason for the move is a conflict with the VBC).
          The question was with respect to the Friday game.
          It makes sense for Bridgestone to host a game in conjunction with a Predators game, but it'll be an expensive proposition for them to host the Friday game. What's the VBC conflict? Playing the Friday game at the VBC would have made sense in the absence of any conflict and with the fact that Merrimack isn't a name that's going to draw many hockey fans in Nashville.

Comment

What's the VBC conflict?
            I don't know. That's why I said "assuming there is a conflict at the VBC." I can't think of another reason to play Merrimack away from home. It would be another thing altogether if it were BC or OSU.

None the less, I hope the Predators help promote the hell out of it to their ticket base.
            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
            2006 Time Person of the Year
            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by fangers
              Looks like that could be a fun road trip...couple UAH games, Preds/BlackHawks, Grand Ol Opry, nice bars along the main drag...
              I was thinking the same thing. We'll have to see how things shake out closer to gameday.

Comment

Man - I'd almost plan a late Christmas visit to my sister around something like a Saturday spent at the rink. She's lived there since '91 and I've never made it to a Predators game (but did drive down to H'ville that one time I went to see her)...
                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                ECAC:
                HEA: UMass
                NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                  I don't know. That's why I said "assuming there is a conflict at the VBC." I can't think of another reason to play Merrimack away from home. It would be another thing altogether if it were BC or OSU.

None the less, I hope the Predators help promote the hell out of it to their ticket base.
                  It has to mostly be an Outreach/Geoffrion/NashvilleYouthHockeyLeague thing. I've assumed Merrimack was just happenstance that was based on timing and availability. The Geoffrion family and friends, the Predators' families, and the Nashville Youth Hockey League should help fill a good number of seats.
                  http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531713
                  http://predators.nhl.tv/team/console...d=737&id=72548
                  http://cdn.nhl.com/predators/v2/ext/...Tree_large.jpg
                  Last edited by tnlong; 07-08-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

My sources indicate that it will be a Friday night / Saturday afternoon series, with UAH-Merrimack being a double-header with the Predators on Saturday night.

My sources also indicate that Chris Luongo will be named tomorrow to replace Danton Cole as UAH head coach.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      My sources indicate that it will be a Friday night / Saturday afternoon series, with UAH-Merrimack being a double-header with the Predators on Saturday night.

My sources also indicate that Chris Luongo will be named tomorrow to replace Danton Cole as UAH head coach.

GFM
                      Yeah, I ran into him at Subway and had a nice chat the other afternoon. He'd just finished his talk with Mr. Harris so I was clued in. Still, I wasn't going to say anything until others (i.e. you, Cheryl, et. al.) said something first. Not my thunder to steal.

I still wish we could have done a national search, but Chris is a good man and an excellent coach, so I'm not the least bit upset about seeing him further what Cole was already doing.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                        ...Still, I wasn't going to say anything until others (i.e. you, Cheryl, et. al.) said something first. Not my thunder to steal...
                        Ditto here too...
                        Doug
                        UAH 1974
                        Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                        Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                        Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                        Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                        Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

It has to mostly be an Outreach/Geoffrion/NashvilleYouthHockeyLeague thing. I've assumed Merrimack was just happenstance that was based on timing and availability. The Geoffrion family and friends, the Predators' families, and the Nashville Youth Hockey League should help fill a good number of seats.
                          http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531713
                          http://predators.nhl.tv/team/console...d=737&id=72548
                          http://cdn.nhl.com/predators/v2/ext/...Tree_large.jpg
                          It was a deal Coach Cole put together over the last year with the Preds. He wanted to do it for some time. Too bad he won't be around to enjoy it. I'll enjoy it though!!! Also, it's hard to beat a good Fudruckers hamburger while in the Music City.
                          Doug
                          UAH 1974
                          Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                          Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                          Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                          Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                          Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Ok wait a sec...

"In conjunction with this announcement, UAH Athletic Director Jim Harris announced that the team would play Merrimack in Nashville this season, as well as a series in Birmingham with Robert Morris."

I'm game for a "home game" or two away from our normal ice, and the Nashville deal is sweet. I'll be glad to see the boys from Merrimack in Nashville. Better airport / shorter travel time for them too which makes it good combination for everyone in the deal.

But Bobby Mo in B'ham??? Um, why? It's further and we're talking about a long time rival that's used to playing on our turf. What gives? We're coughing up a neutral site for what reason? I'm not exactly keen on getting stuck in B'ham traffic on a Friday or Saturday night, and I really don't want to spend the night there (or with my parents down off 280), nor does 6 hours of driving (1.5 each way, each game) to make two games make much economical sense when it should be a home game without some other incentive. None of the students are going to show. The only logical reason I can come up with is that the VBC is planning some major portion of the overhaul during the time frame and we need to minimize our presence for that.

Thu 10/07/2010 Ferris State 7:05 CT
                            Fri 10/08/2010 Ferris State 7:05 CT
                            Fri 10/15/2010 @ Wisconsin 7:05 CT
                            Sun 10/17/2010 @ Wisconsin 1:05 CT
                            Fri 10/22/2010 @ Bowling Green 7:05 ET
                            Sat 10/23/2010 @ Bowling Green 7:05 ET
                            @ Michigan State
                            @ Michigan State
                            Fri 11/05/2010 @ Ohio State 7:05 ET
                            Sat 11/06/2010 @ Ohio State 7:05 ET
                            Fri 11/12/2010 Providence College 7:05 CT
                            Sat 11/13/2010 Providence College 7:05 CT
                            Rensselaer Holiday Tournament @ Troy, NY
                            Fri 11/26/2010 vs Bowling Green 4:00 ET
                            Sat 11/27/2010 vs UConn/RPI 4:00/7:30 ET
                            @ Cornell
                            @ Cornell
                            Robert Morris (Birmingham, AL)
                            Robert Morris (Birmingham, AL)
                            @ Mercyhurst
                            @ Mercyhurst
                            Thu 12/30/2010 Rensselaer 7:05 CT
                            Fri 12/31/2010 Rensselaer 7:05 CT
                            Fri 01/07/2011 Bemidji State 7:05 CT
                            Sat 01/08/2011 Bemidji State 7:05 CT
                            Fri 01/14/2011 Merrimack 7:00 CT (Nashville, TN)
                            Sat 01/15/2011 Merrimack 1:00 CT (Nashville, TN) + NHL: Chicago @ Nashville.
                            Fri 01/21/2011 @ Colorado College 7:35 MT
                            Sat 01/22/2011 @ Colorado College 7:05 MT
                            Fri 01/28/2011 @ Nebraska-Omaha 7:35 CT
                            Sat 01/29/2011 @ Nebraska-Omaha 7:05 CT
                            Fri 02/11/2011 @ Ferris State 7:05 ET
                            Sat 02/12/2011 @ Ferris State 7:05 ET
                            NDTP
                            NDTP

EDIT: Whoops... forgot to include the cite for the quote. From: http://uahhockey.com/blog/2010/07/09...of-uah-hockey/
                            Last edited by jyoung; 07-09-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                              But Bobby Mo in B'ham??? Um, why? It's further and we're talking about a long time rival that's used to playing on our turf. What gives? We're coughing up a neutral site for what reason? I'm not exactly keen on getting stuck in B'ham traffic on a Friday or Saturday night, and I really don't want to spend the night there (or with my parents down off 280), nor does 6 hours of driving (1.5 each way, each game) to make two games make much economical sense when it should be a home game without some other incentive. None of the students are going to show. The only logical reason I can come up with is that the VBC is planning some major portion of the overhaul during the time frame and we need to minimize our presence for that.
                              It's my understanding that the VBC has something to do with it.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Official announcement, including the press release from UAH SID. I'm waiting for Douglas to send me an email with a photo to finish that off.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X