Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
    The rumors I'm hearing, and this may be very wrong, have us starting to grease the wheels in the event of this happening to move to the Peach Belt. Which, incidentally would be a better fit for us anyway. Gulf South has been a decent fit, and but there are a few intangibles (and a couple quite tangible things) which make the Peach Belt an attractive alternative if the GSC goes down in flames.

We do, at least, have a new baseball coach. Or so one of the players told me earlier this week. I would dread trying to find a new conference while 4 of our HC jobs were empty. I've also no idea who is replacing out Asst. AD after she retired.
    Yeah, I would have to think that a look at the Peach Belt there would be in order for UAH.

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    Firstly, Nate Salant deserves to lose his job, period. He's presided over the conference and seen it shrink from 16 teams to eight. There is no excuse for that.

Soccer goes away as a conference sport, as there are only three men's teams (UAH, UWF, CBU) and four women's teams (+UNA). UAH may try to find affiliate membership to another conference to cover those teams, but that would be an extreme long shot IMHO.

I, too, have heard rumblings that UAH might have a chat with the Peach Belt.

Honestly, I think everyone else would be OK. An eight team league is not ideal, but it's definitely workable.

From a national standpoint, you're shifting six schools from the South region to the South Central, which will significantly alter the awarding of postseason bids for some sports (men's soccer and baseball specifically).
    Yeah, I know there's a lot of GSC fans over on D2Football that are pooping bricks about this. Most of them have never been that big of a fan of all the roadtrips to Arkansas all the time, especially the Valdosta and West Georgia fans. Most of them are hoping, praying, wishing and thinking about making deals with the devil that another school or 2 somewhere between Mississippi and Florida would start up a D2 program, and help em out on that end. If anything is going to cause the GSC to fall apart, its going to be football.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
      Most of them are hoping, praying, wishing and thinking about making deals with the devil that another school or 2 somewhere between Mississippi and Florida would start up a D2 program, and help em out on that end. If anything is going to cause the GSC to fall apart, its going to be football.
      There's only five football playing schools right now. I know the league has been in talks with Lambuth College in Jackson, Tenn. about membership. Thing is, Lambuth is about a hair's breadth from losing solvency and closing. However, they do play football, so that would be a big shot in the arm for the conference.

UAH is not starting football. Neither is CBU or UWF. That is a non-starter.

I'd be a little shocked if there haven't been talks with Martin Methodist in Pulaski, Tenn. about potential membership. Then again, with rumblings of D1 and feasibility studies at UNA and UWF, the conference may be destined to fall apart anyway.
      UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
      2006 Time Person of the Year
      Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
      It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

uhm, sorry to see that Danton Cole has left UAH for the NTDP.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          uhm, sorry to see that Danton Cole has left UAH for the NTDP.
          Much appreciated, but not altogether unexpected. Timing with regards to the coming season sucks a lot though.

Mike Anderson

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

There's only five football playing schools right now. I know the league has been in talks with Lambuth College in Jackson, Tenn. about membership. Thing is, Lambuth is about a hair's breadth from losing solvency and closing. However, they do play football, so that would be a big shot in the arm for the conference.

UAH is not starting football. Neither is CBU or UWF. That is a non-starter.

I'd be a little shocked if there haven't been talks with Martin Methodist in Pulaski, Tenn. about potential membership. Then again, with rumblings of D1 and feasibility studies at UNA and UWF, the conference may be destined to fall apart anyway.
            Yeah, Lambuth right now would pretty much just be a warm body to keep the GSC at 6 squads for football and keep the Earned Access for football for those schools. Not that they wouldn't be able to get into the playoffs without it, as CWU did last year with a round robin schedule with the three other GNAC schools. They get a little help there next year with Simon Fraser moving south into the NCAA, but still tough to do it.

Have heard some rumors about Florida Tech thinking about starting up a team as well, and I think I saw something about them talking about a school around New Orleans as well.

All things being said, the football schools would almost be better off trying to get into the SIAC, but I'm pretty sure they would get laughed out of the room there with that idea.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Much appreciated, but not altogether unexpected. Timing with regards to the coming season sucks a lot though.
              Yeah, the timing is the only thing.

I'm hearing rumblings that there will be an announcement about the replacement process soon.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

What about the schedule?!?!!
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  thanks Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    We're lucky to see it by Oct. 1 in a GOOD year.

Mike Anderson

Comment

I'm actually hoping to be able to leak the schedule before I leak the coaching news.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Oh, and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting that Jared Ross has signed with the Thrashers. Two thoughts: 1) I bet that's a two-way deal and 2) Let's see if the Thrashers don't bury him this time.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I am going to take a wild guess that if it is BC it will be on Halloween weekend in Nashville. No Predators game, BC home Football weekend and BC has a Tuesday game afterwards so room for a game on Friday or Saturday that weekend. Otherwise it would be strange to schedule it without any official practices opening weekend in October unless it is an exhibition followed by a RS game.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                            I am going to take a wild guess that if it is BC it will be on Halloween weekend in Nashville. No Predators game, BC home Football weekend and BC has a Tuesday game afterwards so room for a game on Friday or Saturday that weekend. Otherwise it would be strange to schedule it without any official practices opening weekend in October unless it is an exhibition followed by a RS game.
                            I'm going to disagree. From what I understand the likelihood is that it would be a set of double-headers with the Preds the same days; so if the Preds are out of town that seems exceedingly unlikely. Also from a previous discussion of probable schedules that weekend is more likely to be UAH at Michigan State.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              Oh, and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting that Jared Ross has signed with the Thrashers. Two thoughts: 1) I bet that's a two-way deal and 2) Let's see if the Thrashers don't bury him this time.

GFM
                              I can't speak to number 2, but I can say that Capgeek doesn't think enough of it to bother listing it. They've also got him as a non-roster player, and I expect you're right in that he'll be on a low end two-way. I doubt he'll see much time on the ice for Blueland, but probably a fair bit in the minors, the Chicago Wolves I suppose since I think they're Atlanta's current AHL affiliate. Rather than catching a game with him in Atlanta, I think a trip over to Chi-town (if this indeed where he ends up) wouldn't be too out of the way for our trips to Ferris or MSU, among others.

My wife already has plans to go see the Griffins, maybe we can catch the game when he's in town.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                                I'm going to disagree. From what I understand the likelihood is that it would be a set of double-headers with the Preds the same days; so if the Preds are out of town that seems exceedingly unlikely. Also from a previous discussion of probable schedules that weekend is more likely to be UAH at Michigan State.
                                Doesn't leave much room for BC then unless it is on a Holiday, Thursday night, during a preseason game the weekend of October 2, or December 11(study time for BC exams the next week).

Comment

Working...
                                X