Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Dog Days of Summer 2010: All By Myself....

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    http://uahhockey.com/blog/2010/06/21...pment-program/

You know, if Danton had taken any of the various college jobs that came available this offseason, I would have been upset. I'm not upset that he took the NTDP job, though. That's one of those jobs that you just can't turn down.

GFM
    ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Danton Cole, who most recently served as the head coach at the University of Alabama Huntsville, was today named a head coach at USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program. As one of two head coaches at the NTDP, Cole will guide the U.S. National Under-17 Team during the upcoming 2010-11 season.

“We’re excited to bring someone with Danton’s qualifications to our National Team Development Program,” said Jim Johannson, USA Hockey assistant executive director of hockey operations. “He will be a great contributor in the overall development of our elite American players.”

“Danton has a wealth of experience at the professional, collegiate and international levels,” said Scott Monaghan, director of operations for the NTDP. “He’ll be a great asset in preparing our players to compete on all stages.”

Last summer, Cole served as the assistant coach for the U.S. Under-18 Select Team at the 2009 Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament in Slovakia. In addition, his international résumé goes beyond coaching, as he played for Team USA at three International Ice Hockey Federation World Men’s Championships (1990-91, 1994).

Cole spent the past three seasons as the head coach and associate athletic director at UAH, where he guided the Chargers to their second-ever College Hockey America championship in 2010, as well as the second NCAA Division I tournament berth in program history.

Cole also brings experience coaching at the professional level, having previously served as the head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings, from 2002-05. During that span, he became the winningest coach in team history with a 116-72-17-3 record, while guiding the Griffins to the Calder Cup Playoffs in both 2002-03 and 2003-04.

Cole then spent part of 2004-05 and all of the 2005-06 season as the head coach of the United Hockey League’s Motor City Mechanics, before joining the college realm as an assistant coach at Bowling Green State University in 2006-07.

The Pontiac, Mich., native’s coaching career began in the 1999-2000 season when he was named an assistant coach for Grand Rapids, then of the International Hockey League. He spent one more season with the Griffins before earning his first job as a head coach with the Muskegon Fury of the United Hockey League in 2001.

During the 2001-02 season, he guided the Fury to a 48-22-0 record and the Colonial Cup Championship.

As a player, Cole appeared in 318 games in the National Hockey League from 1989-96, including stints with the Winnipeg Jets, Tampa Bay Lightning, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders and Chicago Blackhawks. Cole was part of the Devils squad that earned its first Stanley Cup in 1995.

Prior to embarking on his pro career, Cole was a four-year letter winner at Michigan State University from 1985-89. While a Spartan, Cole appeared in 180 games and compiled 163 points (69-94). He was part of the Ron Mason-led Michigan State squad that captured the 1986 NCAA National Championship. In 1989, he received the Big Ten Medal of Honor as MSU’s top student-athlete in both scholarship and achievement.

NOTES: The U.S. National Under-17 Team will be made up of the top American players born in 1994 and will compete in the United States Hockey League, as well as three international tournaments over the course of the 2010-11 season … Danton Cole replaces Kurt Kleinendorst, who spent one season at the National Team Development Program, leading the U.S. National Under-18 Team to the gold medal at the 2010 IIHF World Men’s Under-18 Championship.
    "Who do you play for?"
    "USA!!!"

Comment

I find it interesting that NTDP's announcement mentioned nothing of Danton's record at UAH.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I think it is pretty obvious why they did not mention the record...Do you think they will open the search?

Comment

Is Dennis Williams with a program anymore? Will Lance West want to come back?

Comment

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
            So Coach Cole is now leaving, too. What next? This is just beyond depressing. Is there really a future for our Chargers? Can't blame him for taking the Developmental team position, but I can blame the !@#$%^ CCHA even more now for in essence letting down our wonderful hockey program. FEH!
            probably the CCHA's fault the Big XII stayed together and the oil spill happened too huh....
            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

http://uahhockey.com/blog/2010/06/21...pment-program/

You know, if Danton had taken any of the various college jobs that came available this offseason, I would have been upset. I'm not upset that he took the NTDP job, though. That's one of those jobs that you just can't turn down.

GFM
              You kind of knew others were going to come after him. Even if they did have a conference. He is a really good coach and a lot of people in the hockey community knew that. I look at this as a positive. There will be some young great hockey mind that will view this as a tremendous opportunity and will jump at this chance. No way UAH dies, got a great administration behind you.
              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

So Coach Cole is now leaving, too. What next? This is just beyond depressing. Is there really a future for our Chargers? Can't blame him for taking the Developmental team position, but I can blame the !@#$%^ CCHA even more now for in essence letting down our wonderful hockey program. FEH!
                Talking with some people who were on the search committee, most of them expected to be doing it again in three years.

Lo and behold...
                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                2006 Time Person of the Year
                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                  Chris Luongo (first full assistant) and Keith Rowe (volunteer assistant) are the remaining coaching staff.

I would be shocked if Harris didn't open another national search, it just needs to be done quickly. The benefit there is that an incoming coach has a chance to bring an assistant along with him, so that can do a lot in terms of implementing a new system (if a new system is to be implemented).

I just hope we haven't lost any recruits on this...
                  UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                  2006 Time Person of the Year
                  Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                  It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                    probably the CCHA's fault the Big XII stayed together and the oil spill happened too huh....
                    finally, someone who sees the world correctly, too (heh). Just venting, of course, but I look at this as quite a negative for the Chargers. Everything was going okay, and it looked as if the college hockey world had come to its collective senses with the realignment to accomodate the CHA. Now, I get the unfortunate feeling that the program I have followed since 1980 is on its last legs. I don't WANT that, but let's face facts here: 1) no conference; 2) great recruiter/assistant coach leaves for a head coaching job at a Div. III school; 3) lose three of the best non-graduating players from last year; and now 4) lose great coach with supposed strong ties to the CCHA. I fully support the guys, and will until the end (which I hope doesn't come); but, despite the backing of the administration, it just appears that the support from the college hockey world ain't there as much as it should be (I know some support is there for scheduling purposes, but after this season, what's the status?). Lots of folks could care less (as I've noted on other threads here), too, about UAH. I will always believe that "but for" the no vote from the CCHA, this sequence of events (except for Talbot's leaving) would not have occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                      Chris Luongo (first full assistant) and Keith Rowe (volunteer assistant) are the remaining coaching staff.

I would be shocked if Harris didn't open another national search, it just needs to be done quickly. The benefit there is that an incoming coach has a chance to bring an assistant along with him, so that can do a lot in terms of implementing a new system (if a new system is to be implemented).

According to the uahhockey article, they will name the replacement late this week.

Comment

I don't expect that we have. Coach Cole started calling incoming and returning players to let them know on Friday. In fact, the first word that I got of it was from a parent.

Also, everything that I've heard is that the replacement will be named later this week.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Talking with some people who were on the search committee, most of them expected to be doing it again in three years.

Lo and behold...
                          That's exactly right! The assumption at the time (three years ago) was that the MSU coach would be retiring this year and DC would be a natural to fill that spot so three years was exactly what was expected of him, nothing more. Anything more would have been pure gravy... you don't always get your gravy. He has definitely had a positive impact on our program and I'm not speaking of the product on the ice. He has upgraded the staff, the coaching tools, and the professionalism of the program by a quantum leap. All while working within very tight budget restraints from the state. While I hate to lose him, his legacy around here will be felt for a long time. Come on Charger fans, this is not the end; it's just another beginning! There will be many beginnings in the life of a program.

wsp67326 - Chin-up man! We don't need negative thoughts. Our schedule looks good out two and three years so let's be positive. You're gonna love the teams finally coming to Huntsville in years two and three. Cole did a great job of scheduling. The next coach will continue that job, I'm sure.

WE WILL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!
                          ...and dispite your feelings, we are a LONG way from being out.
                          Doug
                          UAH 1974
                          Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                          Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                          Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                          Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                          Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

finally, someone who sees the world correctly, too (heh). Just venting, of course, but I look at this as quite a negative for the Chargers. Everything was going okay, and it looked as if the college hockey world had come to its collective senses with the realignment to accomodate the CHA. Now, I get the unfortunate feeling that the program I have followed since 1980 is on its last legs. I don't WANT that, but let's face facts here: 1) no conference; 2) great recruiter/assistant coach leaves for a head coaching job at a Div. III school; 3) lose three of the best non-graduating players from last year; and now 4) lose great coach with supposed strong ties to the CCHA. I fully support the guys, and will until the end (which I hope doesn't come); but, despite the backing of the administration, it just appears that the support from the college hockey world ain't there as much as it should be (I know some support is there for scheduling purposes, but after this season, what's the status?). Lots of folks could care less (as I've noted on other threads here), too, about UAH. I will always believe that "but for" the no vote from the CCHA, this sequence of events (except for Talbot's leaving) would not have occurred.
                            Not going to kill you here because you are passionate and frustrated...but over time you will see all of this has nothing to do with the CCHA.

Its a business as well, you can't expect someone to do something in any world that doesnt fully benefit them just to make someone feel better. If you want to point fingers point them at the CHA for not doing enough for their members and ultimately folding...

I know the arguement is "its nearly the same distance to huntsville as Omaha". That may be true, but the main appeal of having Omaha was the USHL. Huntsville doesn't have that. I understand your frustrations but to take it out on a conference isn't fair. In time you will see that.

Comment

Also, everything that I've heard is that the replacement will be named later this week.
                              GFM
                              Hopefully that's the case so the program can move forward and start getting ready for the up coming season. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                                Dennis was named head coach of the Amarillo Bulls of the NAHL last Friday.
                                Last edited by davyd83; 06-23-2010, 08:51 AM.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X