What was the attendance at the Regionals? West Regional was low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the attendance at the Regionals? West Regional was low

I was curious as to how the attendance was at the other regionals? At the West Regional in St. Paul the attendance was only 7,281 total for both semi-final games on Friday and only 7,182 for the final. I thought that was really low considering both St. Cloud only about an hour away from the Excel center and Wisconsin within driving distance were both in each semi and the final. The most shocking to me is the lack of fans for St. Cloud, a larger school 15,000 students or so and a large alumni base in the twin cites yet they do not show up to support their team. With the Excel center being able to hold 18,000 plus it was a small crowd. St. Cloud could have turned it into big home rink advantage if they had showed up. I guess not much of a real big fan base at St. Cloud or am I missing something?

Re: What was the attendance at the Regionals? West Regional was low

The East regional was low for the first game with RIT fans dominating the crowd against Denver. The Cornell-UNH fans showed up later in the game. As for the final, I think the crowd again was kind of small. RIT was bringing the people for sure and I believe had a bigger crowd than UNH fans.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by gopherit View Post
      I was curious as to how the attendance was at the other regionals? At the West Regional in St. Paul the attendance was only 7,281 total for both semi-final games on Friday and only 7,182 for the final. I thought that was really low considering both St. Cloud only about an hour away from the Excel center and Wisconsin within driving distance were both in each semi and the final. The most shocking to me is the lack of fans for St. Cloud, a larger school 15,000 students or so and a large alumni base in the twin cites yet they do not show up to support their team. With the Excel center being able to hold 18,000 plus it was a small crowd. St. Cloud could have turned it into big home rink advantage if they had showed up. I guess not much of a real big fan base at St. Cloud or am I missing something?
      I don't doubt the fan base for SCSU, but I think with the Final 5 there the week prior, and SCSU's less than stellar performance in past national tourneys, I would think that most people decided not to go and watch it on TV. The economy probably has a bit to do with it. I went to 3/5 games of the F5, I didn't pay for the tickets, I got them through work. I didn't notice a ton of SCSU fans, however I didn't go to a game where they were playing.

I think if the selection committee put UND in the West regional and flew SCSU to Worcester, there would have been more people at the West regional. One team had to fly to the NE. It made sense for SCSU, but with the way UND fans travel and a large presence in the immediate area, it could have reached 5-digit numbers, for at least one of the games.
      THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
      1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
      1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
      University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
      University of Oregon Ducks Football
      San Francisco Giants
      Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by gopherit View Post
        The sad thing is, I think the west regional was the best attended.

Look at it this way, usually that regional is held at Mariucci, not Xcel. 7000 fans at Mariucci wouldn't look nearly as bad.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm pretty shocked it wasn't packed with St. Cloud fans.

We didn't drive up from Madison because we had just been to the Final Five the weekend before. Too much money and couldn't get off work again.

Comment

albany was awful except rit brought good amount
            I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

St. Paul: 7281 Fri, 7182 Sat
              Albany: 4073 Fri, 3737 Sat
              Worcester: 6572 Sat, 6054 Sun
              Ft. Wayne: 4133 Sat, 3204 Sun
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

NMU fans travel well, but with the cost of tickets (94 dollars), plus travel costs and hotel...that scared a lot of students away from going. Plus, most spent a lot of money in Detroit (8 hour car ride, plus 105 dollars a night hotel) the weekend before.
                Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                2006-2007: 15-24-2
                2007-2008: 20-20-4
                2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

East (Albany)

Semi's, Friday - 4,073
                  Final, Saturday - 3,737

Northeast (Worcester)

Semi's, Saturday - 6,572
                  Final, Sunday - 6,054

West (St. Paul)

Semi's, Friday - 7,281
                  Final, Saturday - 7,182

Midwest (Ft. Wayne)

Semi's, Saturday - 4,133
                  Final, Sunday - 3,204

The problem for your typical Bemidji fan going to Ft. Wayne was travel. Consider, that if you wanted to go see BSU play Michigan, you had to either fly (on a week's notice, Bemidji to Ft. Wayne is $1200 - I just checked), or you could drive 15 hours each way, pay ~$75 a night (x3) in a hotel, pay for meals for four days, plus then pay the $80 for tickets. Now, I know folks that did it, but Miami and Michigan fans complained that BSU wasn't represented at the Midwest regional. Well, that's why...
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Next year's regional in St. Louis should be packed.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      Consider, that if you wanted to go see BSU play Michigan, you had to either fly (on a week's notice, Bemidji to Ft. Wayne is $1200 - I just checked), or you could drive 15 hours each way, pay ~$75 a night (x3) in a hotel, pay for meals for four days, plus then pay the $80 for tickets.
                      Originally posted by aktick View Post
                      Next year's regional in St. Louis should be packed.
                      Quoting myself, I know, but the two regionals I have been to (I know, refuting my point a bit, but I'll explain), were in Amherst, Mass. and Green Bay. The Amherst one I went to because of frequent flyer miles, and because I shared hotel and rental car with four other guys. The Green Bay one I drove with three others, so, again, sharing hotel and gas with several people. Heck, even DC last year I took a chartered bus for cost savings!

In other words, I can't see making it to St. Louis (based on distance alone), from Bemidji. Minneapolis or Wisco? Maybe, but CC, DU or Michigan? No way.
                      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                      ECAC:
                      HEA: UMass
                      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by Roben View Post
                        I think if the selection committee put UND in the West regional and flew SCSU to Worcester, there would have been more people at the West regional. One team had to fly to the NE. It made sense for SCSU, but with the way UND fans travel and a large presence in the immediate area, it could have reached 5-digit numbers, for at least one of the games.
                        There's a reason the NCAA committee moved around the three seeds and not the two seeds - the seeds at the lower end of the bracket have less of an impact on competitive equity and bracket integrity.
                        "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I'm starting to wonder if the west regional numbers are actually who attended or seats sold becuase there was probably a number of bought tickets from gopher fans that were not used

Comment

One of my brothers just told me that there were 5000 presold tickets to the west regional before the field was announced and the gophers were out of it, lots of them were not used I bet

Comment

Ticket prices were a joke. Attendance might benefit if the NCAA were to drop prices by about a third.
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                              X