Boston College Hockey Thread: Frozen once again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston College Hockey Thread: Frozen once again

Looking ahead to next season, BC and Maine look strong barring no early departures. BC loses Sneep and Smith but return the line of Whitney, Atkinson and Gibbons. Maine looks loaded with their roster. BU may fall a bit if they keep losing players to the pros. Merrimack may crack the top-4 in HE.
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
      So the attendance issues at BC are more to do with the move to the ACC because the regional rivalries aren't there?
      The reason for the attendance issues are twofold:

1) Because the basketball team sucks.
      2) Because no one on campus gives a crap about the team because they are their own little clique. They don't get involved on campus and keep to themselves. Whenever there is a pep rally, for example, they always decline to attend.

There is a stark, stark contrast between that and how the hockey team is perceived on campus.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
        Looking ahead to next season, BC and Maine look strong barring no early departures. BC loses Sneep and Smith but return the line of Whitney, Atkinson and Gibbons. Maine looks loaded with their roster. BU may fall a bit if they keep losing players to the pros. Merrimack may crack the top-4 in HE.
        Has there ever been a Hockey East season where only 1 team won 20 games and nearly the entire conference otherwise was either a few games at, above, or under .500 (save PC, who clearly is going to be a doormat for years to come)? I'm not so sure it's parity so much as mediocrity...which means everything from 3rd to 9th could again be separated by just a few points.

Either way, with the talent BC returns and the strong end to this season, I think it'll be BC's conference to lose next year and a wide open fight for positioning elsewhere.

Comment

Yes, we're loaded with returning contributors. They should be phenomenal for years to come. I'm disappointed the most with losing Sneep out of all of them. Everyone's entitled to their opinion here, and there are ones here who would disagree with me, but I think he's an excellent defenseman - very effective on both sides. Always was a big fan of his.
          BC '97
          Home/Road (yes, even outside Boston ) supporter

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
            The reason for the attendance issues are twofold:

1) Because the basketball team sucks.
            2) Because no one on campus gives a crap about the team because they are their own little clique. They don't get involved on campus and keep to themselves. Whenever there is a pep rally, for example, they always decline to attend.

There is a stark, stark contrast between that and how the hockey team is perceived on campus.
            I agree with point 2. Can't agree on point 1...last year the team went to the tournament and the stadium was rarely full.

I know many BC fans won't agree with this, but I think it has to do with the typical sports fan's attitude in Boston (same as in NYC)...when it is dubbed "cool" to be a fan of a particular sports team, then the city is crazy for them. Look at the Bruins and Celtics, before Garnett and Allen arrived, few people gave a crap about the C's. Now everyone loves them. Same with the Bruins, once they looked like a playoff team everyone started going to the games and wearing Bruins gear. I know every city has their share of fair-weather fans, but it seems to me that Boston has more than usual.

Also, I think the hockey rivalries in Boston hurt support for football and basketball. I doubt a lot of students at BU and Northeastern root for BC Football even though they don't have football themselves. I'm not complaining about this because I'd rather have the hockey rivalries than have them be BC football and basketball fans.
            I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

“I want to be like them.” -Scott Sandelin

Comment

BTW, Eastern Clothing of Watertown should sponsor their hometown hero now that Skinner is gone.
              I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                And thank goodness Gene gives a rats *** about the hockey program. Stay away and let them keep winning.
                Amen! I'm ticked off that this is coming up at all now, while the men's hockey team is getting ready to head for Detroit.

Couldn't this wait until after the FF, or , better yet, be done right after the basketball season (when they were eliminated in the ACC tourney)?
                Boston College Eagles
                NCAA Champions

Bentley University Falcons

Comment

Originally posted by lah02476 View Post
                  Amen! I'm ticked off that this is coming up at all now, while the men's hockey team is getting ready to head for Detroit.

Couldn't this wait until after the FF, or , better yet, be done right after the basketball season (when they were eliminated in the ACC tourney)?
                  I don't think this is a total negative for BC Hockey...Basketball is in such a sad state right now and with this most recent news a lot of BC fans will be looking for something to cheer about. BC Hockey stands to gain a lot of fans who maybe preferred basketball over hockey prior to this mess.

I know a few kids who weren't too keen on hockey who I've taken to a few games and now they love it.

EAGLE HOCKEY

Comment

I played this game on the BU thread a while ago. I see basically four tiers of teams next year (pending guys going pro):

Tier 1
                    BC, Maine

Tier 2
                    UNH, BU, Merrimack

Tier 3
                    NU, UVM

Tier 4
                    UML, UMass, PC
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

• Re: Boston College Hockey Thread: Frozen once again

Yo O.G.!

You can remove that "might" from you last sentence.

I know he couldn't have got a team motivated to hate him like herbie did, but you have to wonder if Jerry could in fact get a group of young men to come together like that.
                      (and yes, I curse mike milbury every single day!!! )
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Provided no one leaves (Hayes & Kreider are not ready), next year's team is going to be absolutely stacked odds are ranked #1 going into 2010-11. The main problem I see is losing the grinder line of Price, Lombardi, & Almeida. They have been able to shut down the other team's #1 and be big on the PK. While we might have all the guns next year we do need some shut down forwards.

Comment

I can see someone like Alber playing a similar role that Lombardi has. Is it just me or does it always seem like he makes a good decision with the puck...nothing too flashy but he's not going to turn it over.

EAGLE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by lah02476 View Post

Having this in the news right now is no big deal. With hoops finishing up this weekend it'll be ancient history by early next week. That being said, in addition to next years first line I absolutely love the way Mullane, Carey and Almieda play this game. They'll give you goals and might be your checking/shutdown line as well.
                            sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Devoe, those are the three names that initially popped into my head.

Also the leadership, I love what Smith, Lombo, & Price all represent as captains. Hard working, not the most gifted, follow my lead type players. I also love how there is a separation between the best players and the captain. Should be interesting...

That being said, let's get #4 in 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                                So the attendance issues at BC are more to do with the move to the ACC because the regional rivalries aren't there?
                                I believe this to be absolutely true...........obviously the team isnt that good lately and the shortsighted would say that is the reason, i think not .

Comment

Working...
                                X