Stupid, dumb, moronic...take your pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid, dumb, moronic...take your pick

Still don't get why the so called "Frozen Four" and championship has to wait two weeks to play after regionals. NCAA Basketball, MLB start of season...all that means crap. Only hockey fans are going to watch the Men's hockey final anyway. Are those the reasons they hold hockey back a week?

Talk about a momentum killer.

Re: Stupid, dumb, moronic...take your pick

Why couple it in with the Final Four in mens and womens bball? Instead of a few people caring outside of the hockey world zero people would care outside the hockey world.
    time to write new history

Comment

I call that diminishing returns. Holding off a tourney for almost 2 weeks to see who wins it, just doesn't seem worth the (I would wager anyway) the marginal pickup/loss of viewers you would get. Why can't you just schedule around the BB games? The men play Saturday and Monday and the women play Sunday and Tuesday. How about Friday and Sunday?

Comment

Because you touch yourself at night.

Comment

So that teams don't play Sunday night ... go home, and then have to travel 72 hours later for Thursday.

It gives everyone a chance to recouperate, plan, game plan, practice, etc. I have no issue with it...
          St. Norbert College Green Knights
          NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
          NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
          NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
          ---
          SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard_Balcony_Booster View Post
            I call that diminishing returns. Holding off a tourney for almost 2 weeks to see who wins it, just doesn't seem worth the (I would wager anyway) the marginal pickup/loss of viewers you would get. Why can't you just schedule around the BB games? The men play Saturday and Monday and the women play Sunday and Tuesday. How about Friday and Sunday?
            because the ncaa doesn't want its championships competing with each other, and you'd lose espn since they would go to the womens bball tournament on sunday night. this is really a non-issue. if anything, it gives fans more time to arrange travel to the FF site, more time for ticket sales, etc. I can tell you from having been to two final fours, it's REALLY quick how you have to get your tickets and travel package from the school, rearrange your schedule, etc. and that's with you getting everything through the school and their travel agency. doing it all yourself, tickets, hotel, air, rental, etc. i can imagine would be a huge hassle in a matter of about 72 hours since regionals end sunday and you'd have to travel thursday or friday.
            Last edited by slurpees; 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM.
            time to write new history

Comment

Agreed - I have no issue with it. Hopefully BC can use the time to work on their defense a bit.

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
                Because you touch yourself at night.
                Maybe if he did it more we wouldn't be subjected to this thread
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I think the scheduling works well for the teams, the NCAA and the media coverage.

The NCAA doesn't want any championships competing with the Final Four. The Final 4 in men's basketball and women's basketball is the event the NCAA generates the most revenue from. They want ALL of their focus on that event.

To my knowledge not a single other NCAA championship is contested the same weekend (including DII and DIII).

The NCAA puts the sole focus on the largest event of the year, which is a very good idea.

Also, when you you have the Frozen Four? Friday-Sunday? (Would compete with the women's semi-finals) or Thursday Saturday (would compete with the NCAA men's bball semi's).

If you make it Thursday-Saturday you make teams playing in the regional final on Sunday have only 4 days between games. That wouldn't be as big an issue, but the teams can't arrive for the frozen four (or any NCAA Championship) on gameday. They need to arrive at least 1 day, if not a couple days early for media and related things, meaning the teams might only be home for two days.

Plus it gives teams a chance to recover before the Frozen Four.

Comment

Not sure how it would REALLY compete with the other events if you go Friday-Sunday. No one plays on Friday night and tell me how hard it is to schedule 3 games on a Sunday (2pm, 5pm and 8pm est). Besides, I wonder what the marketing segmentation is on a men's championship hockey game vs a woman's semi hoops event. I'll bet there is not a lot of overlap.

I'd like to hear hockey players and coaches chime in on this. Getting 4 days rest after regionals is PLENTY of time. If anything, you are chomping at the bit to play the final two games rather than cooling off for two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard_Balcony_Booster View Post
                      Not sure how it would REALLY compete with the other events if you go Friday-Sunday. No one plays on Friday night and tell me how hard it is to schedule 3 games on a Sunday (2pm, 5pm and 8pm est). Besides, I wonder what the marketing segmentation is on a men's championship hockey game vs a woman's semi hoops event. I'll bet there is not a lot of overlap.

I'd like to hear hockey players and coaches chime in on this. Getting 4 days rest after regionals is PLENTY of time. If anything, you are chomping at the bit to play the final two games rather than cooling off for two weeks.
                      Also Miami when they want to play.

Also if you play Friday-Sunday you do compete with the women's NCAA Semi-finals which are played on Sunday.

Comment

The 2 week delay also gives time for a hot goalie to cool down, which makes it a tiny bit less likely to get a fluke champion.

Comment

Originally posted by MichFan View Post
                          The 2 week delay also gives time for a hot goalie to cool down, which makes it a tiny bit less likely to get a fluke champion.
                          I never thought of it that way, but it's entirely plausible.
                          Dog Lover: Terriers and Bulldogs
                          Boston University '06/'08
                          Yale University '13

Comment

Originally posted by MichFan View Post

Umm...a "hot goalie" isn't a measurable commodity that is going to "cool down" because he has had 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks, or a month off. A hot goalie is someone who has entered an unexplainable period where his current play maybe outperforms what has been previously expected. A hot goalie is just as likely to leave that zone one week after entering it as he is 2 weeks after, so I have a really hard time using this as an example.

Comment

You do like having the Frozen Four on ESPN, don't you? You do like having a little bit of publicity - even if only for one weekend, don't you?

Hold the Frozen Four and the Final Four on the same weekend and you can kiss all that goodbye.
                              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Working...
                              X