Greatest Moments in Frozen Four History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Moments in Frozen Four History

I'm working on an article about the top 10 moments in FF history. Seeing as I don't know nearly as much about past FF's as a lot of people on here, I decided to see what you guys and gals think are the top moments. There have been a lot of OT games, so some of those will obviously be in there, but do any stick out more than others? Any spectacular plays? Great storylines? Shocking moments? Feel free to list as many as you want. Thanks in advance.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Re: Greatest Moments in Frozen Four History

Personal favorite: In 2008..from last team in the field to the national championship game for the first time. Calle Ridderwall's OT goal sends ND past Michigan in the national semifinals.

BU scoring 2 goals in the final minute and winning in OT beating Miami in last year's title game has to be one of the greatest comeback stories in FF history.
    Last edited by NDHockey9; 03-28-2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

My personal favorite is also of course the ND/UM game in 2008. Great game with ND up 3-0, UM tying it up, ND retaking the lead late, UM tying it again, before Ridderwall finally winning it.
      Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 03-28-2010, 04:26 PM.

Comment

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4zj_s1e62jU&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4zj_s1e62jU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47UHRHlW9BQ

Ridderwall's GWG

Comment

I wasn't born then, but Dan Lodboa (a defenseman!) had a natural hat trick within 7:14 during the third period of the championship game in 1970 to complete a comeback over Clarkson and cap off the undefeated season. He scored an even strength, SHG, and PPG, including a go-ahead goal and the eventual game winner.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

As someone mentioned already, last year's furious comeback by BU in the last minute was something else. I remember telling my sister when BU pulled their goalie that I'd like to see them score at one to see how crazy the ending would get. That was just some kind of crazy.

My personal favorite so far is 2006 with Wisconsin defending its home state in Milwaukee. Tom Gilbert's Powerplay goal, BC ringing one off the post with about 1.5 seconds left...that was a great moment.

Comment

Originally posted by NDHockey9 View Post
                Not the championship game, not the national championship team, mines better.

Seriously though, and I've had this conversation with BU fan's but IMO Bonino's goal was bigger than an overtime goal, like Cohen's in the BU game or Ridderwall's for ND. If Higgin's pass to Gilroy (the 2nd assist on the play, where the puck is fed back to the point) is deflected out of the zone the goal is never scored and BU loses. If Ridderwall or Cohen's shot is deflected up high and over the glass there is a face off and both teams still have the same chance of winning as they did before the shot took place. Advantage tying goal with less than 20 seconds to go.

Comment

2004 Fleet Center Boston
                  DU 1 Maine 0
                  DU playedthe last minute or so with 2 players in the penalty box and Maine played 6 on 3 for 1:18.
                  Goalie Adam Berkhoel, a couple of shots that hit the pipe and the DU defense including Freshman and future Hobey Baker winner, Matt Carle, held off the Black Bears for Denver's first NCAA Championship in 35 years.

In January DU was ranked 7th in the WCHA, March 5 Senior forward, 2nd leading scorer and Alternate Captain Connor James broke his leg, Denver lost in the 1st Round of the WCHA playoffs to Colorado College and faced the unenviable task of beating #1 seed North Dakota(1st in WCHA) in the NCAA regionals. And they did 1-0. That game was described by INCH or CHN as one of the 10 Best College hockey games ever.

Connor James came back for the Frozen Four and DU, with a come from behind 5-3 victory, beat a Minnesota Duluth team(2nd in WCHA) that included that year's Hobey Baker winner, Junior Lessard (??). Coach George Gwozdecky suspended Senior forward, 3rd leading scorer, Lukas Dora for the Championship Game, "violating team rules."(believe Dora had the game winning goal or a multi pouint effort against UMD, but couldn't find a box score) Despite that and facing Maine's All American goalie, Jimmy Howard, DU prevailed on a 1st period goal by Gabe Gauthier assisted by Connor James.

All American, Team Captain,Defenseman Ryan Caldwell, James and Berkhoel were named to the All Tournament Team. Berkhoel got the MVP

Had to be the longest minute in Frozen Four history!

And, yes, I am a DU alum and fan.
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Brots.

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FIqU387ycU&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FIqU387ycU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      2004 Fleet Center Boston
                      DU 1 Maine 0
                      DU playedthe last minute or so with 2 players in the penalty box and Maine played 6 on 3 for 1:18.
                      Goalie Adam Berkhoel, a couple of shots that hit the pipe and the DU defense including Freshman and future Hobey Baker winner, Matt Carle, held off the Black Bears for Denver's first NCAA Championship in 35 years.

In January DU was ranked 7th in the WCHA, March 5 Senior forward, 2nd leading scorer and Alternate Captain Connor James broke his leg, Denver lost in the 1st Round of the WCHA playoffs to Colorado College and faced the unenviable task of beating #1 seed North Dakota(1st in WCHA) in the NCAA regionals. And they did 1-0. That game was described by INCH or CHN as one of the 10 Best College hockey games ever.

Connor James came back for the Frozen Four and DU, with a come from behind 5-3 victory, beat a Minnesota Duluth team(2nd in WCHA) that included that year's Hobey Baker winner, Junior Lessard (??). Coach George Gwozdecky suspended Senior forward, 3rd leading scorer, Lukas Dora for the Championship Game, "violating team rules."(believe Dora had the game winning goal or a multi pouint effort against UMD, but couldn't find a box score) Despite that and facing Maine's All American goalie, Jimmy Howard, DU prevailed on a 1st period goal by Gabe Gauthier assisted by Connor James.

All American, Team Captain,Defenseman Ryan Caldwell, James and Berkhoel were named to the All Tournament Team. Berkhoel got the MVP

DU/UMD Box Score

DU/Maine Box Score
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Jim Montgomery's 3rd period natural hat trick, from Hobey Baker winner Paul Kariya each time. Maine comes back from 4-2 down and wins the national title over Lake State 5-4.

The Maine/Michigan 3OT thriller in Providence, even though ESPN thought we'd want to see Lee Trevino putt instead.

For the wacky moments, Patrice Tardif's goal against Michigan in the '93 semi-final would rank up there.

Comment

I'll save Minnesotans the trouble of bringing up the 2002 championship game.

Maine took a 3rd period lead into the final seconds. Minnesota ties it. Xcel Center crowd practices spelling the name of their state.

Then Minnesota completes the comeback, winning their first title in 100 years (or so). Crowd yells loudly enough to teach New Zealand-ers to spell Minnesota. Mainers flee to parking lot before their vehicles are overturned and set alight.
                          Last edited by amherstblackbear; 03-28-2010, 06:49 PM.
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Gotta give props to Harvard's 1989 shocking win over Minnesota in St. Paul.
                            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                              2004 Fleet Center Boston
                              DU 1 Maine 0

Is there video of this game anywhere? ive searched youtube and google and have never found anything.
                              time to write new history

Comment

Working...
                              X