X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU Huskies 2010 Off-Season Thread

Saw some Gamblers in action this last weekend:

(FYI: Fri - GB 4-1 II, Sat - GB 5-1 FF)

Nic Dowd scored Indiana's lone goal on Friday with a nifty little move. He also seemed to be their only good player. That is just not a good team. Kind of a big guy...esp compared to the other Ice.

Nick Jensen only played Friday night (Gamblers wrapped up the Anderson cup seemingly in November and were resting some players Saturday night) but was VERY impressive. He's a solid defensemen. He was not a pinch-make-a-move-try-to-score defensemen. He stayed at home...plugged up his lane and skated very well. He was on the power play and did okay.

Nick Oliver and the Fargo Farce (yes..farce) played Saturday. They too were awful. Oliver reminded me of Aaron Marvin...not sure if it was in a good way though. There was a time when it looked as if he wanted to fight someone and had a guy wrapped up until the Gamblers had a breakout towards his direction and then he wisely backed off from the fight. He was very aggressive and was throwing his body around. I think he lacked a little balance. Maybe he was trying to do too much? I think his skating will need to improve to be anything other than a 3rd line grinder (which is not a bad role to have either).

Bonus:

Nate Schmidt, traitor: Very skilled skater and very strong. He made a lot of mistakes and had to chase to make up for it. Problem is, for opposing teams, is that he's a strong enough boy and skater to do it. He'll probably have to wise up to the WCHA's quicker speed. Maybe it was my I-Hate-Gopher glasses...but I really liked Jensen. Jensen could just be better for being in the USHL one more year. *shrug*

Nick Bailen, Puckman: He's listed at 5'9". he looked like 4'11". He's just not big enough to be a viable defensemen, imo. Before I looked at his stats, I honestly thought he was playing defense because he was a forward and had to rotate out to the blue line because of a pinch defensemen. Again...the Ice were awful so this is most certainly not a fair assessment.

Nate Condon, Gopher from WI: He was a strong skill player for the Force. I thought he was quick, good hands, and knew where to be. Solid.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo Swoon is in season.
    Originally posted by Husky Fan Roy If this turns out to be correct: Big Pieps > Kevin Allenspach

Comment

Originally posted by BigPieps View Post
      Nick Bailen, Puckman: He's listed at 5'9". he looked like 4'11". He's just not big enough to be a viable defensemen, imo. Before I looked at his stats, I honestly thought he was playing defense because he was a forward and had to rotate out to the blue line because of a pinch defensemen. Again...the Ice were awful so this is most certainly not a fair assessment.
      Considering that he was considered one of the best freshmen defensemen in the CCHA last season... probably not.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        Considering that he was considered one of the best freshmen defensemen in the CCHA last season... probably not.
        He's itsybitsy
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo Swoon is in season.
        Originally posted by Husky Fan Roy If this turns out to be correct: Big Pieps > Kevin Allenspach

Comment

Saw some Gamblers in action this last weekend:

Nic Dowd scored Indiana's lone goal on Friday with a nifty little move. He also seemed to be their only good player. That is just not a good team. Kind of a big guy...esp compared to the other Ice.

Nick Jensen only played Friday night but was VERY impressive. He's a solid defensemen. He was not a pinch-make-a-move-try-to-score defensemen. He stayed at home...plugged up his lane and skated very well. He was on the power play and did okay. Right on. Excellent skater and should

Nick Oliver and the Fargo Farce (yes..farce) played Saturday. They too were awful. Oliver reminded me of Aaron Marvin...not sure if it was in a good way though. There was a time when it looked as if he wanted to fight someone and had a guy wrapped up until the Gamblers had a breakout towards his direction and then he wisely backed off from the fight. He was very aggressive and was throwing his body around. I think he lacked a little balance. Maybe he was trying to do too much? I think his skating will need to improve to be anything other than a 3rd line grinder (which is not a bad role to have either).

Bonus:

Nate Schmidt, traitor: Very skilled skater and very strong. He made a lot of mistakes and had to chase to make up for it. Problem is, for opposing teams, is that he's a strong enough boy and skater to do it. He'll probably have to wise up to the WCHA's quicker speed. Maybe it was my I-Hate-Gopher glasses...but I really liked Jensen. Jensen could just be better for being in the USHL one more year. *shrug*

Right on Pieps. Good eye. You're right on the mark on these guys.
          "Zero Manipulation"

Comment

Originally posted by Montelena View Post
            Vermont? You didn't realize it was NMU?!
            Eh... Potato, Vodka
            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Nate Schmidt, traitor

I met his cousin two years ago at a bar like 15 miles out of St. Cloud and told him what we all thought of his commitment to the U.
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post

I met his cousin two years ago at a bar like 15 miles out of St. Cloud and told him what we all thought of his commitment to the U.
                Kolorful Ken has been continually working on Nate to change his mind. And to think, him and his family used to sit next to me at SCSU games, before the boys got into playing hockey and all the time it takes. I don't think everyone in the family is happy with his decision.
                Bob is making me concerned
                I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                  And to think, him and his family used to sit next to me at SCSU games, before the boys got into playing hockey and all the time it takes.
                  Oh, so that explains it.

Comment

Kolorful Ken has been continually working on Nate to change his mind. And to think, him and his family used to sit next to me at SCSU games, before the boys got into playing hockey and all the time it takes. I don't think everyone in the family is happy with his decision.
                    His mom is happy with the decision... she's the one who didn't think an SCSU degree was good enough. Also, Nate has some good friends who are currently playing for the goofers.
                    scsuhockey.com
                    CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                      His mom is happy with the decision... she's the one who didn't think an SCSU degree was good enough. Also, Nate has some good friends who are currently playing for the goofers.
                      I guess it is better to lose with your friends than win with strangers. You know the saying, Losers like to be with losers......
                      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                        I guess it is better to lose with your friends than win with strangers. You know the saying, Losers like to be with losers......
                        Well maybe after the first beatdown the rodents get at the Ralph next year will help him to see that he's made a bad decision and after the season, he'll asked to be released from his scholorship, sit out a year, sit next to Pope Skeeterman at the Husky games and then play for the Huskies.
                        There is Hope . . .

Comment

Originally posted by The Vicar View Post
                          Well maybe after the first beatdown the rodents get at the Ralph next year will help him to see that he's made a bad decision and after the season, he'll asked to be released from his scholorship, sit out a year, sit next to Pope Skeeterman at the Husky games and then play for the Huskies.
                          Finally, someone makes sense.
                          I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by The Vicar View Post
                            Well, other than the fact the Gophs won't play at GF until next January and the young man in question has already sat near Skeeterman at the NCC, which experience likely scared him off of Huskie Hockey forever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                              What are you doing, messing around with Nate's mom?
                              I am the voice of reason

Comment

Every once and awhile, I score!
                                There is Hope . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X