Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU Huskies 2010 Off-Season Thread

Originally posted by SCSUtillIdie View Post
    A little late i know but wrestling would not be first cut. the team is ranked in the top ten in the nation and only going up (D2 i know). and the program itself is considerably cheaper to run than some programs.

what will go first ??? idk
    Yeah, but how much does the Wrestling program give back to SCSU. I'm certainly no expert on the money that comes into St. Cloud, but I would have to think that with the shear numbers alone, the Football team alumni would donate back more money to SCSU than what the Wrestling team does. Figure about on average 12 football alumni a year to maybe 3 a year for wrestling, and if only half of the football alumni donate back a year, thats still a good sizable number there.

And then you have the Cheerleading and Marching Band alumni and donors as well that would be upset with cutting football as well. Those kids wouldn't have much to do either if you don't have football.
    Last edited by bigmrg74; 07-31-2010, 11:15 AM.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I am new to this board and I was wondering how much the
      freshmen get to play on the hockey team. Does it go by how
      good you are or does the coach only play them so much because
      they are freshmen.
      Just wondering because I have a freind that will be a freshmen
      this year, Nic Dowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana Ice View Post
        they are freshmen.
        this year, Nic Dowd.
        Good question from the newbie guy from Indiana.

Let's answer it with a question of our own: Is Dowd any good? Well, if he is, he will see ample ice time in the WCHA. Our coach--Bob Motzko--is one of those peculiar coaches that will play a guy if he is any good. And if the player produces. We have heard good things about your friend Nic, and look forward to watching him play for the Huskies.

Comment

Personally i think Dowd starts as a bottom six guy with the depth this team has. I think he'll be a good one but it may not be readilly apparent as a freshman when looking at his stats as i don't think he'll get much power play time.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by BigPieps View Post
            sitting at the right hand of the Pope?

Swoon.

It would be the Friday night game.
            As long as you bring one of your hot babes.
            Bob is making me concerned
            I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
              As long as you bring one of your hot babes.
              Badger Badger Badger Badger.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
                Good question from the newbie guy from Indiana.

Let's answer it with a question of our own: Is Dowd any good? Well, if he is, he will see ample ice time in the WCHA. Our coach--Bob Motzko--is one of those peculiar coaches that will play a guy if he is any good. And if the player produces. We have heard good things about your friend Nic, and look forward to watching him play for the Huskies.
                Well, I think he is. The reason I say this is because I have followed him for
                a few years before he joined the Indiana Ice. Seeing him last year live, he is
                better then I even thought. He was the heart of the team. No, he was not the leading scorer or anything. He was off in playing over seas with the
                USHL all-stars.
                Then when he came back he started to play really well. He climbed to the
                top in pts. Then he broke two fingers hitting someone along the boards.

He was out 8 games and the Ice lost 7 out of 8 of those games. Then when
                he came back he had 2 assist and the game winner in OT. He fingers were
                still not 100 %. HIs coach was saying after the game that you don't know
                how much you need someone until they can't play for you.

When you talk to the rest of the team they loved Nic and what he bring
                to the table every game. When Nic is on the team rolls smooth. He is the
                most "team player" I have seen in years.

I know Nic Dowd because he goes with the owners, son's, daughter of the
                business I work at. I have meet he many times. He is even nicer off the ice.

Even he knows that he has to work hard to get playing time and he knows that there are plenty of things he still needs to work on.
                He went to SCSU early to get in the weight room to get bigger and stronger.

Yes I think he is good enough to play. I believe that he will have to earn his
                playing time, which everyone should.
                I just know that there are coaches out there that will not play freshmen
                very much or at all just because they are freshmen.

Boomer, thanks for answering me. I hope this answers your question back.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  Personally i think Dowd starts as a bottom six guy with the depth this team has. I think he'll be a good one but it may not be readilly apparent as a freshman when looking at his stats as i don't think he'll get much power play time.
                  I agree with you on it many not be apparent as a freshman
                  when looking at his stats.
                  Given time I can see him on the PP. This year, who knows.
                  My guess would be, no, but, he was on the top PP unit on
                  every team that he has played for in the last 3 years.
                  I know on the PP he loves to get in front of the goalie and
                  hammer in rebounds. He sets up about 10 feet in front of
                  the goalie when there is a guy behind the net and has a
                  rocket when shot from there.
                  The best thing about him is he is a team player all the way.
                  He will find that open man, that has a easier shot, before
                  he will shot himself.

Comment

he will shot himself.
                    This, Indie, is how the Huskies play. "Team players" make a team a winning team.

Now I am getting excited for the "new" addition Huskies!

Pieps, it will be great seeing you again! Although did see you at the Final Five. [Your buddy RC may not remember, but trust you do!]

Comment

they are freshmen.
                      this year, Nic Dowd
                      Well, I think he is. The reason I say this is because I have followed him for
                      a few years before he joined the Indiana Ice. Seeing him last year live, he is
                      better then I even thought. He was the heart of the team. No, he was not the leading scorer or anything. He was off in playing over seas with the
                      USHL all-stars.
                      Then when he came back he started to play really well. He climbed to the
                      top in pts. Then he broke two fingers hitting someone along the boards.

He was out 8 games and the Ice lost 7 out of 8 of those games. Then when
                      he came back he had 2 assist and the game winner in OT. He fingers were
                      still not 100 %. HIs coach was saying after the game that you don't know
                      how much you need someone until they can't play for you.

When you talk to the rest of the team they loved Nic and what he bring
                      to the table every game. When Nic is on the team rolls smooth. He is the
                      most "team player" I have seen in years.

I know Nic Dowd because he goes with the owners, son's, daughter of the
                      business I work at.
                      I have meet he many times. He is even nicer off the ice.

You met him at work, and now you're friends?

You must be really close friends because you know everything about this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by cg_siouxfan View Post
                        You met him at work, and now you're friends?

You must be really close friends because you know everything about this guy.
                        No, I never said that I met him at work. Read my post better.
                        I met him through my boss. We met 2 years ago and have talk alot.
                        Then last year while he played for the Indiana Ice. A team that my
                        wife and I go to a lot. He just happened to play for them.

Every game that we went to he left tickets for us at the gate. We
                        went to more then twenty game last year. Then when he broke his
                        finger we got to sit down with him for those games that he was out.

We even talked about his trips each year to the Kings camp for draft
                        picks. This year he even took two SCSU hockey pucks to camp with
                        him and he signed one and had Garrett Roe sign one. As both played
                        for the Indiana Ice.

After Kings camp this year he drop them off to me.
                        Last edited by Indiana Ice; 08-01-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

No, I never said that I met him at work. Read my post better.
                          Reading comprehension isn't his strong suit.
                          St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

I agree with you on it many not be apparent as a freshman
                            when looking at his stats.
                            Given time I can see him on the PP. This year, who knows.
                            My guess would be, no, but, he was on the top PP unit on
                            every team that he has played for in the last 3 years.
                            I know on the PP he loves to get in front of the goalie and
                            hammer in rebounds. He sets up about 10 feet in front of
                            the goalie when there is a guy behind the net and has a
                            rocket when shot from there.
                            he will shot himself.
                            Only reason why I don't think he'll be on it this year is the depth we have at forward.
                            We've got 7-8 guys with the experience on the PP here already and would likely get looks over him.
                            Dowd can make it on there, I just don't see him as a regular on the PP as a freshman.
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

insidecollegehockey.com is starting up their A-Z... any bets so far who they'll cover for SCSU?
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                                Yeah, but how much does the Wrestling program give back to SCSU. I'm certainly no expert on the money that comes into St. Cloud, but I would have to think that with the shear numbers alone, the Football team alumni would donate back more money to SCSU than what the Wrestling team does. Figure about on average 12 football alumni a year to maybe 3 a year for wrestling, and if only half of the football alumni donate back a year, thats still a good sizable number there.

And then you have the Cheerleading and Marching Band alumni and donors as well that would be upset with cutting football as well. Those kids wouldn't have much to do either if you don't have football.
                                You make it sound like those players are going on to make millions in pro football. The school has 17,000 students, I doubt losing 12 football players a year is going ot hurt the bottom line.
                                I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X