Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCSU Huskies 2010 Off-Season Thread

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    Yale deserved that win, they are truly a great team. Great speed, excellent transitioning and forechecking...if they had a goalie they could have made it to Detroit.
    Hey, that sounds familiar to what precisely one person was saying before the YU game.

Wait a minute, you're not Boomer.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

A couple of things stood out to me as the season was winding down during the Wisconsin game. You often here that basketball is a game of matchups, and towards the end of the year, I saw that present in our Huskies as well. From the night of "that game" on (the 8-1 debacle), bigger, more physical teams seemed to either have our number, or our heads. When I watched what Mitchell did to us on Saturday, it magnified what UND did to us at the end of the year. So, did UW and UND lay out the template on how to play Bob's teams, or did they just have the right recipe the way things laid out this year. Was the way they played more an unconscious response to the Marvin incidences that had no planning involved, or is this a going to be what more teams will attempt? I see some validity to what was mentioned about the smaller forwards, but I also think with the exception of a couple of other opponents, our smaller forwards served us extremely well. But, I agree that we may need a more balanced mix of size and speed and with usually 25-26 players rostered, I see the ability to tailor a lineup to your opponent.

Comment

State played very well against Wisconsin considering that they'd played 4+ periods the previous night and the fact that Lee continues to psych himself out of big-time games (although one could definitely argue that the previous night was a big-time game too).
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
          This makes me laugh. Seriously? Maybe, just maybe what the coaches see day in, day out leads them to believe that Zabs and Johnson are not only better but have more upside??

This is like the fans crying for the 3rd string quarterback all the time...
          Exactly. It makes me wonder if the people writing this stuff are relatives of these people.

If I had to guess guys like Rioux got in the dog house and then moped around all year and didn't work as hard to get back in the line up. By no means do I know this as fact, but it makes sense that is what happened.

I am pretty sure Jensen and Gravel are going to get a lot of ice time next year and the way Barta played at the end of the year before he got hurt I bet he see's a lot of ice time as well. A guy like Johnson is only going to get better and he has the skill to be a good puck mover, which is what this team needs. Raboin is going to be sorely missed. If the returning guys continue to improve and the two big freshman come in and play well the defense should actually be better next year.

Motzko has this team in position to be a top three WCHA a team again next year and a national title contender. With the team they have coming back I just don't get why people have such sour grapes right now.....
          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Not sure if the sour grapes was directed at me or not, but in the glow of the teams first NCAA win, I don't think it is being Debbie Downer to throw some thoughts out there about what worked against us, and what Bob can do to counter it next year. I don't think it was a fluke the way UND and UW played us in the LAST games against each of them. I also think, if we play almost anyone other than those 2, we are in the WCHA championship game, and the Final Four. I think Bob has positioned himself to have an upper tier team in the WCHA. but I personally could give 2 sh1ts if we win the WCHA. Now I greedily want the Final 4.

Comment

The Huskies are by no means a perfect team. All teams I've seen this year have deficiencies of some sort wether it's a lack of scorers, goaltending, small D etc etc.

SCSU has a tremendous base of players to build off of. Late in the game on Saturday 3 first year players and 2 sophs were on the PP. That's pretty incredible and proof of the quality of its youngsters.

Marvin and Roe will be outstanding college seniors. As good as it gets in college hockey. Mosey has catapulted himself into one of the most underrated offensive guys in the WCHA. His ability to get a key goal or assist can't be taught. Without a doubt he's the most improved player on the squad. Roe will be a Hobey candidate, WCHA First Team, and all-time leading SCSU scorer after next year. How can you pass that up?

LeBlanc is a free agent and will have a lot of NHL teams courting him. His skating has improved and his puck control skills with his long reach and stick are freakish. On Friday he got knocked down and still controlled the puck until he was able to get up off the ice. It's scary to think what his upside is with two more years. The next step for him is to use his good shot and score more. His speed is much better than it appears. The other sophomores - Festler and Novak are experienced top notch college players who have different skills. Novak's game is still raw but he's got to be one of the top 5 speediest players in college hockey. And, 11 goals ain't bad. Festler can be a 20 goal scorer next year. He played much grittier this year and learned alot about puck protection by watching/ playing with Lasch.

Lauridson is another with great upside. He's got good feet for a big guy and his reach makes him tough to beat. He's got a cannon and Motzko has been trying to inject him into the PP late in the year. They need to figure out how to use his shot on the PP. With minimal experience he needs more repetitions on the PP. I was totally impressed by Johnson's ability to crack the lineup and add 12 points without playing a full season. He can be a Raboin type player. He's competitive, has good hands, plays physical and can score. He takes risks on the ice and gets burned at times but I like his aggressiveness. It was nice to see him battling without his stick on Saturday vs WI. He'll only get better and he's a competitor. I like that.

The goaltending situation couldn't be better. You need TWO good goaltenders. Miami thrives with their rotation.

They have two impact freshman in Eddy and Hanowski. Eddy stepped it up in big games and is another NHL free agent prospect. 12 goals in 35 games from a first year player is huge. Without a year of junior hockey you have to be impressed with the raw talent Hanowski has. There is great upside there. Hanowski jumps up big time next year. You know he'll work hard. He had a huge learning curve this year but he got loads of experience on every aspect of the game.

Concerning newcomers, both Gravel and Jensen will crack the lineup and immediately upgrade our D. The defense will ultimately be better next year.

I hate to say it but our PP might be better next year without Lasch. It'll be less one dimensional and less predictable. They will be forced into a new strategy/scheme without Lasch on the left side.

At forward they add two high quality players in Dowd and Reid. They also inject size as both are over 6' 1". Both are drafted NHL prospects and if anything gives the team much more 4 line strength.

Barring any odd departure, the Huskies are a better team in 2010-11. Their upside is as good as there is in college hockey.
              "Zero Manipulation"

Comment

Still with the angry face?

Congrats on a great season.

Comment

Well the season has come an end and it's time for my season-ending/next year evaluation and expectations: First of all, cudos to C. Motzko, Ruud, and Gibbons for working hard to bring in great talent. There is no doubt that these guys bleed cardinal and black and their passion to make this program one of the best in DI college is quite evident.
                  C. Mo (unlike Skeeterman) does not have me worried, I believe he has done an INCREDIBLE job since he took over from you know who. Interesting that the program that is a little lower than "pride on ice" under C.M. has been to the FF four out of the five years since he's been here, been to the NCAA tnmt. three out of the five years, has won over 100 games, and of course saved many of us from psychiatric counseling if they would have lost Friday night. There should be no doubt that he is a top-notch recruiter and knows talent when he sees it like taking smurfs like Lasch, Raboin, and Roe.
                  As others have said, and I agree, the talent that is coming back and the talent that is coming in has the makings of something special. (Side note: after leaving the X during the Bucky game we were walking to the parking lot and I began talking with the guys from the Owatonna Express. I got to meet Cory Thorson, let me say in so many words that he is PUMPED to get to school next year, said he could not wait!)
                  I said after last season that this year would be special. Based on the "experts" predictions where we would finish in the WCHA (5th), finishing third, coming back and taking two of three from Mankato after one of the most gut-wrenching losses in o.t., beating Bucky in the FF semi's, taking second and finally winning that first NCAA tnmt. after another gut-wrenching goal from NMU late in that game, I would say without question, that it was a special year, but not as successful as we all wanted it to be!
                  So with that in mind, I see that the Frozen Four is back in St. Paul next year, Husky fans, you might want to begin saving up or refinancing so you can afford tickets to watch the Huskies at the Frozen Four.
                  There is Hope . . .

Comment

Going into this year I wasn't expecting much because of how poorly our defense played last year and only bringing in Johnson, but they made huge strides this year. With what we are bringing in this year I think the table will be set for a special year.
                    Originally posted by Mankato student
                    Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                    "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                    -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by wchaforever View Post
                      Not sure if the sour grapes was directed at me or not, but in the glow of the teams first NCAA win, I don't think it is being Debbie Downer to throw some thoughts out there about what worked against us, and what Bob can do to counter it next year. I don't think it was a fluke the way UND and UW played us in the LAST games against each of them. I also think, if we play almost anyone other than those 2, we are in the WCHA championship game, and the Final Four. I think Bob has positioned himself to have an upper tier team in the WCHA. but I personally could give 2 sh1ts if we win the WCHA. Now I greedily want the Final 4.
                      If you look who Motzko is bringing in next year size shouldn't be a problem next season. He has two very large defensemen and a big forward in Oliver coming in.
                      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

I just crunched the numbers quickly, and SCSU should bring back the second most scoring next season. Duloot is first, even with Bordson leaving. UND is third but should probably get more credit if Genoway comes back. This isn't counting UNO and BSU... yet.
                        scsuhockey.com
                        CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by motox View Post
                          Euro, did you guys tailgate on Friday? We actually parked in the $4 lot right next to DQ. I drove around the lots by DQ but didn't see anyone.
                          So the SOBs had a big sign out saying: NO EVENT PARKING, CARS WILL BE TOWED.

You'd think they'd be smart enough to want to fill up a lot for $10 a spot. Oh well. But we'll for sure be back next year for F5, show up then.

Originally posted by Almy View Post
                          Is Joey Benik going to play elsewhere next year? I know he's small but that kid can really shoot the puck.
                          I really hope he goes somewhere else for a year, maybe two. Talent, sure, but I honestly thought Hanowski had a better freshman year than I expected, and he struggled mightily at times.

Originally posted by startthebus View Post
                          I personally think Zabs is one of our better stick handlers, and best defenders. Only time I would say maybe not play him a lot would be against UND.
                          Agree with the Eddy comment, but Zabs regressed the last half of the year. Or maybe it was that I was expecting a jump, but either way, he was our 4th best blueliner at the end behind Raboin, Lauridsen and amazingly enough, Hepp . And he was only that high up bc Gaudet and Johnson both looked shaky as hell.

Originally posted by Montelena View Post
                          Mosey has catapulted himself into one of the most underrated offensive guys in the WCHA. His ability to get a key goal or assist can't be taught. Without a doubt he's the most improved player on the squad.
                          If anyone but the Dane is the most improved player, I'll re-friend shortbus on Facebook.

Novak's game is still raw but he's got to be one of the top 5 speediest players in college hockey.
                          I was totally impressed by Johnson's ability to crack the lineup and add 12 points without playing a full season. He can be a Raboin type player.
                          I don't see it. Johnson could end up putting up Raboin's type of offensive numbers, but I don't think he'll ever be the defensive presence Garrett was.

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                          Still with the angry face?
                          We could win 3 straight National Titles, the red face stays until the Gophers or some other lame *** copycats steal it
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Benik is playing for Penticton next season.
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              I don't see it. Johnson could end up putting up Raboin's type of offensive numbers, but I don't think he'll ever be the defensive presence Garrett was.
                              until the Gophers or some other lame *** copycats steal it
                              Read will ya! a "Raboin Type" player - NOT replacing Raboin. Raboin is a one of kind player for the passion and effort.
                              "Zero Manipulation"

Comment

Read will ya! a "Raboin Type" player - NOT replacing Raboin. Raboin is a one of kind player for the passion and effort.
                                So what does that mean?? That he has hockey hair?? "Raboin type" is pretty ambiguous.

Comment

Working...
                                X