FFFF Semi (4/8): Wisconsin vs. RIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFFF Semi (4/8): Wisconsin vs. RIT

Definately going to be an interesting matchup between a traditional powerhouse and the pleasant surprise of this tourney.

RIT shut down DU and UNH very effectively... will they be able to do the same against a UW team that just might have more offensive depth? Can UW perform to its potential for a fourth game in a row?

I do know one thing: UW fans will be in full force, and I'm sure RIT fans will be making the relatively short trek. Considering the cavernous venue, the atmosphere should be electric.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Re: FFFF Semi (4/8): Wisconsin vs. RIT

I'll be there, as I am every year. Is Cheli's Chili Bar going to be the unofficial Wisconsin fan headquarters??

Comment

While I'd like to jump on the RIT bandwagon and cheer for the underdogs....

I just gotta say: Win the title for the WCHA Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Definately going to be an interesting matchup between a traditional powerhouse and the pleasant surprise of this tourney.

RIT shut down DU and UNH very effectively... will they be able to do the same against a UW team that just might have more offensive depth? Can UW perform to its potential for a fourth game in a row?

I do know one thing: UW fans will be in full force, and I'm sure RIT fans will be making the relatively short trek. Considering the cavernous venue, the atmosphere should be electric.
        Why will they be there in full force when they weren't there in full force at the X? It's one thing when they're in your state, but to go to Detroit? It's only one hour shorter to Detroit than to MN, right?
        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
          Why will they be there in full force when they weren't there in full force at the X? It's one thing when they're in your state, but to go to Detroit? It's only one hour shorter to Detroit than to MN, right?
          Well, two full weeks of advanced notice (as opposed to less than one week), many Badger fans go to the FF anyway, and the fact that people are more willing to shell out money for the FF than they are for a regional.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
            I don't believe for a second that the Badgers fans will travel nearly as well to a Frozen Four as they used to back in the 70s and 80s. But, I think we'll be very well represented.

My own personal feeling on the sparse attendance at the X over the weekend could've been attributed to the cost of the tickets. Speaking only for myself here I was pretty shocked that it would've cost me $100 for the tickets. I should be their target customer, but I couldn't rationalize going at that price. Whether it's affordable or not, there's a point at which you get diminishing value for your entertainment dollar. So, I stayed in Madison and watched the game at various local watering holes. The Frozen Four is different, and not only because it's the national championship. It's a fun weekend with all of the fans from around the country who go every year.

Comment

Hopefully Eaves will be able to glean something from the two tapes of RIT against DU and UNH. I'm sure that Gwoz may have had a difficult time determining how good RIT really was considering they only played one opponent from the power conferences. That one oppponent was Minnesota State - the 9th place team in the WCHA - and the Tigers were swept by a combined score of 9-1. Maybe DU was a little overconfident? Bucky smoked UNH twice earlier in the season so RIT winning that game was no surprise to me.

Obviously RIT has proven in their first two games to be a quality team and if they do manage to beat Wisconsin it sure won't be because they snuck up on them.

No matter what happens in the FF the RIT coach has done a magnificent job with that program and the Tiger faithful better keep an eye on the Ohio State search committee that is in the process of replacing their coach.

Looking forward to a great semi-final matchup.
              Last edited by HighToTheGloveSide; 03-28-2010, 11:22 AM.
              Signature under construction.....bids being accepted.

Comment

Wayne Wilson will not leave RIT. He has been here for many years and RIT's dynasty in the Atlantic Hockey is all his doing. We in Rochester and Western NY know that this is his hockey program!

GO RIT!!!
                R I T HOCKEY
                Frozen Four
                Elite Eight
                NCAA Tournament
                2010-2015-2016
                RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                  Wayne Wilson will not leave RIT. He has been here for many years and RIT's dynasty in the Atlantic Hockey is all his doing. We in Rochester and Western NY know that this is his hockey program!
                  For the sake of the RIT program I hope that you're right but the job seems more like a stepping-stone job than a final location, IMHO. Maybe building the program from the ground up will have some sway. If OSU does come calling they'll be able to throw a whole bunch of money at Wilson along with the allure of a major university and superior facilities.

Then again, this is all hypothetical on my part.

It's always tough playing the "Cinderella" of the tournament and hopefully the Badgers come prepared and focused.

Comment

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post
                    For the sake of the RIT program I hope that you're right but the job seems more like a stepping-stone job than a final location, IMHO. Maybe building the program from the ground up will have some sway. If OSU does come calling they'll be able to throw a whole bunch of money at Wilson along with the allure of a major university and superior facilities.

Then again, this is all hypothetical on my part.

It's always tough playing the "Cinderella" of the tournament and hopefully the Badgers come prepared and focused.
                    RIT is a lot more of a glamorous job than it appears. They have tremendous facilities (apparently with new ones coming), and an incredible fan base. A hockey school in a hockey town with a unique financial aid set up means Wilson can build a legitimate national power at RIT. I believe eventually they will leave the AHA for greener pastures, but can't forsee Wilson going anywhere, and I don't think he should.

To play the hypothetical game - If he were to leave, house money would lean more towards Bowling Green, as that is his alma mater and where he began coaching. Rumor is, however, that Brian Hills (RIT Asst.) would be a better fit there. He had like 200+ points at BGSU. Either way, both of these men are in line for a pay raise it would appear!

Comment

When will it be announced if this game will be the 5:00 or 8:00 game? What criteria is used to determine the order of the semi's?

I'm going to be in Anchorage on business, and I'm hoping this is the late semi so that I'll be able to catch most of it on TV after the work day.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
                        Rumor is, however, that Brian Hills (RIT Asst.) would be a better fit there. He had like 200+ points at BGSU.
                        Except that Ali Hills plays for RIT now and her brother is playing out east. Not that that precludes a switch to BG, but I think more likely that Hills takes over at RIT if Wilson goes for the BG job.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by HighToTheGloveSide View Post
                          If OSU does come calling they'll be able to throw a whole bunch of money at Wilson along with the allure of a major university and superior facilities.
                          Really? What makes you think RIT doesn't have bunches of money to throw around? RIT is also one of the largest private universities in the country. (And as our Cornell-alumn President likes to point out, this year we have a larger undergrad enrollment than Cornell ... by 12 I think! ) Sure we're not an all-DI sports machine, but we can hold our own as a quality place to work (and live) with any of the big boys...

That said, I have that little nagging fear in the back of my mind that he might get an offer too good to refuse.
                          -M

Comment

Originally posted by jwilli View Post
                            When will it be announced if this game will be the 5:00 or 8:00 game? What criteria is used to determine the order of the semi's?

I'm going to be in Anchorage on business, and I'm hoping this is the late semi so that I'll be able to catch most of it on TV after the work day.
                            I'd imagine seeding matters some. If Miami wins their regional, then they would be the top overall seed of the 4 remaining teams. If Michigan wins, then Wisconsin is the top remaining seed.

I'm not sure what TV considerations there might be - that will obviously depend on who advances tonight...
                            "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                              Really? What makes you think RIT doesn't have bunches of money to throw around?
                              RIT has deeper pockets than OSU whose athletic department topped 100 million dollars in revenue last year? If so then money shouldn't be an issue and you're safe.

but we can hold our own as a quality place to work (and live) with any of the big boys...
                              I was going to preface this by saying "don't take this the wrong way" but I'm not sure how else you could take it. I've been to Rochester four times on business and couldn't wait to leave. Twice for trade shows at the RRCC and the downtown area is, IMHO, awful. We have a service technician that lives in the area that is originally from Syracuse and he hates it. Now I'm sure that there are areas outside of Rochester that are nice but to say you can hold your own with any of the big boys is a stretch from what I've seen. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just giving you my opinion.

No more comments from me on this topic. I shouldn't have started down this path and would prefer to talk about hockey instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X