X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FFFF Semi (4/8): Wisconsin vs. RIT

Originally posted by BCMike22 View Post
    Ah, young jedi...

It will dawn on you one day that while you can buy more Miller Lite's for $25, for that same amount you will get less "good" beers in number but more well off (more booze).

Throw down a couple good IPA's and Ales that are nearing the 8-9% level and you'll be converted for life I imagine.
    Simple Math.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
      Simple Math.
      Yep.

There's something to be said for the constant flow, but a small price to pay to be able to enjoy a unique beer or something you may have not had before.

I am very much looking forward to the Detroit Beer Co. and checking out what they have to offer. I'll also have to sample some "local" Bells and see if it's even better closer to the source

Comment

Ah, young jedi...

It will dawn on you one day that while you can buy more Miller Lite's for $25, for that same amount you will get less "good" beers in number but more well off (more booze).

Throw down a couple good IPA's and Ales that are nearing the 8-9% level and you'll be converted for life I imagine.

This is not to say I don't like Miller Lite or judge those who drink it. A time and a place for all beers, I say. I like to wind up my night with a couple "waters" once I'm well off to help hydrate me for the next day
        One word....Hopslam
        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
          One word....Hopslam
          Imperial IPA's are SO freakin' dangerous.

I'm going to wake up naked with my car keys in my ear in front of the hotel at some point, aren't I?

Sigh.

I'm psyched for the trip. My liver, on the other hand...

Comment

Imperial IPA's are SO freakin' dangerous.

I'm going to wake up naked with my car keys in my ear in front of the hotel at some point, aren't I?

Sigh.

I'm psyched for the trip. My liver, on the other hand...
            is blindfolded and has a cig ready for what is to come

Comment

Ah, young jedi...

This is not to say I don't like Miller Lite or judge those who drink it. A time and a place for all beers, I say. I like to wind up my night with a couple "waters" once I'm well off to help hydrate me for the next day
              Can't find anything in the bars up here (that we frequent) other than things like Fat Tire and Spotted Cow (which I like).

I'm all for trying "good" stuff, and there is no shortage of places to buy around here, but a guy needs suggestions...

I will say I had a Flying Dog Double Pale Ale a few weeks back at a friend's and enjoyed it, something like 11% or 12%? Not sure if that's considered good, but it was definitely pricey enough.

Comment

I tend to agree with the adage that life is too short to drink crappy beer. Same with rum - no Captain, no Bacardi Light, no rail. I also prefer a NY Strip to a ground steak.

The only macro that I like is High Life, which is actually a pretty darn good pilsner. Otherwise give me something local.

New Glarus is by far our best and most diverse local micro although I don't like Spotted Cow as much as most of their others. Fat Squirrel, Coffee Stout, Naked mmmmmmm!

Others I like are South Shore, Lake Louie and Bells. Gotta give a shout out to the KBC also although I can't get that in Madison and they don't put it in bottles anyway. Some of the best beer in the country is brewed right here in the midwest.

I can afford better tasting stuff now, whether it be beer, rum or steak, and therefore I do. I also don't drink to get hammered very often anymore. My drinking what I consider to be good beer has nothing to do with wanting to feel superior and I never ridicule those who choose to drink macros.

Is it Thursday yet?

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
                  Can't find anything in the bars up here (that we frequent) other than things like Fat Tire and Spotted Cow (which I like).

I'm all for trying "good" stuff, and there is no shortage of places to buy around here, but a guy needs suggestions...

I will say I had a Flying Dog Double Pale Ale a few weeks back at a friend's and enjoyed it, something like 11% or 12%? Not sure if that's considered good, but it was definitely pricey enough.
                  That's the spirit!

It's tough to give rec's when I'm not sure what you like or dislike...but a good place to start with a safe belgian is Chimay. The Cinq Cents (it's the white one) is the most affordable and still very good from their most commonly offered lineup. Spring for the blue if you like, it's probably a buck or two more but a BIG bottle that should get you started in the right direction.

There are plenty of folks who know loads more than I do about Belgians, but this is a good starting point I think most would agree.

I would say this--and this is just my own two cents--find a brewer or two you like and see if you can try more of what they make. Bells, up in your area has a great selection of fantastic brews. New Holland is also up in Michigan and I'm a fan of a lot of their stuff as well.

You'll find that there's brewers--not just beers--that you will come to really like and dislike. Flying Dog happens to be on my sh*t list along with Victory, but there are ardent supporters of both of those breweries as well so it just depends on who you ask.

I guess that's sort of the neat part. You don't have to like them all. No one does. But the fun part is trying as many as you can

Comment

You'll find that there's brewers--not just beers--that you will come to really like and dislike. Flying Dog happens to be on my sh*t list along with Victory, but there are ardent supporters of both of those breweries as well so it just depends on who you ask.

I guess that's sort of the neat part. You don't have to like them all. No one does. But the fun part is trying as many as you can
                    Yeah, I don't like Flying Dog either and they got me to try it the same way most did. Pretty cool design/concepts for their labels.

Like you say, try em and if you find a brewer you like, explore their other beers.

Comment

That's the spirit!

It's tough to give rec's when I'm not sure what you like or dislike...
                      Not a fan of really dark beers, other than that I'll try anything once. Will look into those you mentioned, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by aktick View Post
                        Not a fan of really dark beers, other than that I'll try anything once. Will look into those you mentioned, thanks!
                        Dogfish Head is pretty delicious, their IPAs are very popular. Personally, I'm a fan of their other pale ale and their seasonals.

Flying Fish is a small brewery out of New Jersey that hasn't disappointed me yet.

Victory is a good brewery local to Pennsylvania, but don't have their lager. The Victory Lager is worse than most macrobrews. The Golden Monkey is an excellent choice, though.

I'd recommend Brown's Brewery to you, but I think their beer is only local to Troy, NY.

I know you're not a fan of dark beers, but I think I've fallen in love with Three Philosophers by Ommegang (a Cooperstown, NY brewery).

Basically, try beer. You may find some breweries / beers that you don't like, but you may find some great beers, too.
                        Last edited by burgie12; 04-07-2010, 12:53 PM.
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a very good, easy to find brew.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                            Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a very good, easy to find brew.
                            Nice one. That, along with Ommegang's Abbey Ale was what started me on good beer. Very good jumping off points.

Oh...and how about someone illustrating my point about some people loving brewers I hate? I've tried more than a few Victory brews and have generally disliked them all; so it just goes to show you that it all depends on what you find out for yourself.

FWIW, I really very much enjoy New Belgium brews, however I feel Fat Tire, their most well known brew is vastly over-rated. It's not bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to order it, either. They have some terrific seasonals such as Two Below and Mighty Arrow (out now) that I've really enjoyed.

Is it tomorrow yet? When can we start tipping back?

Looking forward to seeing many of you in D-town and throwing back the suds with ya.

Comment

Many years ago I pulled up a can of Rhinelander from about 100 feet on Trout Lake in Vilas County. (Yes, I was fishing that deep for Lakers on Trout Lake).

That's what they call a micro brew up there!!

A Rhinelander, a 70 degree day in northern WI, blue sky, a lake like a sheet of glass; "dat's livin' right dere, eh?"
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

YUENGLING!!!!!
                                Works for every occasion anytime!!!! You Madisonians have probably never had this, but i suppose it can be considererd a Macro.....and at $15 a case, i stockpile it when i make my treks back east

Comment

Working...
                                X