Summer reading for Umile and crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer reading for Umile and crew

If Dick or the coaching crew happen upon this thread during their time on USCHO , I hope they decide to take a few days out of the summer and pick up a few books.

1- The art of war - Sun Tzu ( http://www.amazon.com/Art-War-Sun-Tzu/dp/0877734526)

2- 33 Strategies of war - robert greene (http://www.amazon.com/Strategies-War...9739452&sr=1-1)

Here is how I have seen the last 10 years of the UNH program. They have consistently outperformed most colleges and put a quality product on the ice. They have had squads capable of winning national titles, and have recruited players overlooked by typical NHL colleges and turned them into top contenders. As a casual outside observer, the only true constant is the coaching staffs strategy - or lack thereof. I see Jerry York and guys like Bellichek as true strategists. Guys who adapt a malleable game plan, adjust when required and get results.

This may seem like a stupid typical end of the season UNH post - but if nothing else, maybe Umile will become the next Hannibal and take college hockey by storm!
    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Re: Summer reading for Umile and crew

Totally agree with you. I am a Maine fan. The talent of the players on the UNH teams over the past 15 years I have lived here in NH has been unbelievable and could challenge just about every program in the country. The common thorn in their sides has been Umile. As a maine fan, i love it, but some of these players have deserved better.

Comment

Sorry, but Umile isn't the one who lets opponents skate unmolested right down the slot, and then stand around doing nothing while they take second and third hacks at the puck by the goalmouth.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

You guyz cant be serious. No offense but you're trying to tell me the talent level at UNH is on par with say Wisconsin ? Dont confuse having a group of guys who play well at the Whitt on the large sheet with actual top end talent.
        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Sorry, but Umile isn't the one who lets opponents skate unmolested right down the slot, and then stand around doing nothing while they take second and third hacks at the puck by the goalmouth.
          But he does have an incredible talent for recruiting those types of players.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
            You guyz cant be serious. No offense but you're trying to tell me the talent level at UNH is on par with say Wisconsin ? Dont confuse having a group of guys who play well at the Whitt on the large sheet with actual top end talent.
            Maybe they ought to hack some acreage off that Lake, and stick a few more seats in there. Then maybe the UHN boys will learn how to play on a regular size sheet.

Comment

10000% correct... They don't get the top end talent... No question about it.

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                If Dick or the coaching crew happen upon this thread during their time on USCHO , I hope they decide to take a few days out of the summer and pick up a few books.

1- The art of war - Sun Tzu ( http://www.amazon.com/Art-War-Sun-Tzu/dp/0877734526)

2- 33 Strategies of war - robert greene (http://www.amazon.com/Strategies-War...9739452&sr=1-1)

Here is how I have seen the last 10 years of the UNH program. They have consistently outperformed most colleges and put a quality product on the ice. They have had squads capable of winning national titles, and have recruited players overlooked by typical NHL colleges and turned them into top contenders. As a casual outside observer, the only true constant is the coaching staffs strategy - or lack thereof. I see Jerry York and guys like Bellichek as true strategists. Guys who adapt a malleable game plan, adjust when required and get results.

This may seem like a stupid typical end of the season UNH post - but if nothing else, maybe Umile will become the next Hannibal and take college hockey by storm!
                Great post, and, while we as UNH fans hope there's some sign of intelligent life among the coaching staff which might result in better results down the road, I think you have a better chance of seeing God.
                "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
                Larry David

Comment

How about you guys start with getting a real sports psychologist instead of having a guy who might not even have a hs diploma with that gig?
                  Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Sorry, he has a degree of Education from UNH. My bad.

Still, no degree in psychology.
                    Last edited by Terrierbyassociation; 03-27-2010, 09:14 PM.
                    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

actually no, and if you read my post, you would not have said this. Quite the contrary, UNH has developed overlooked players into top 10's. Saviano, Haydar, Krog, Butler, Hemmingway and whoever else might have been overlooked at one point or another became a formidable player within the UNH system. Seriously, if you came to play your semantics game, leave it up in that ****hole we call Orono Maine.

That's like saying Napoleon was a bad commander for letting one of his generals go into battle and die. Its an inevitability in warfare. Mistakes happen. Don't treat isolated incidents as a case against systems level thinking.

Believe it or not I am not trying to trash the UNH program here. Umile and crew are here to stay and rightfully so. They have done ,and continue to do a great job. That said, advice from a hockey community on an online forum is unlikely to be received, but why not give it a try? I feel as a community, its our responsibility to help out
                      "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

rufus has a very valid point......shrink your ice to a standard sheet so all the rinks are the same......like they said in "Hoosiers" the rim is the same 10 ft, the foul line the same as ours etc but for UNH all the other surfaces ARE different than the one they practice on

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                          How about you guys start with getting a real sports psychologist instead of having a guy who might not even have a hs diploma with that gig?
                          Wow...and here I thought all of the BU fans had already joined their team out on the golf course.
                          sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

actually no, and if you read my post, you would not have said this. Quite the contrary, UNH has developed overlooked players into top 10's. Saviano, Haydar, Krog, Butler, Hemmingway and whoever else might have been overlooked at one point or another became a formidable player within the UNH system. Seriously, if you came to play your semantics game, leave it up in that ****hole we call Orono Maine.

That's like saying Napoleon was a bad commander for letting one of his generals go into battle and die. Its an inevitability in warfare. Mistakes happen. Don't treat isolated incidents as a case against systems level thinking.

Believe it or not I am not trying to trash the UNH program here. Umile and crew are here to stay and rightfully so. They have done ,and continue to do a great job. That said, advice from a hockey community on an online forum is unlikely to be received, but why not give it a try? I feel as a community, its our responsibility to help out
                            Pardon me, but I thought it wuz you who said UNH had team(s) capable of winning national titles. In my little pea brain that implies they would be talented enough to win national titles. I just dont see it...I see fanz who are unrealistic about the talent level they have.
                            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Standing around while your opponent is right in front of the goal hacking away at the puck isn't a mistake. It's laziness, or unwillingness to commit, to do the dirty, hard things you need to do to win games.

UHN players need top be willing to get their noses dirty, to be physical, to battle in the corners and in front of the net, not just expectto cruise to a win because they're the SMT's from Lake Whitt and everyone should bow before them.

They did a great job of doing this against Cornell. Didn't do much of it at all against RIT.

Comment

Working...
                              X