This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of North Dakota - Offseason Thread 2010

The difference is that I'm looking at the individual players on the roster and their potential to increase their scoring. I really don't think that comparing what players have done in the past -- particularly those who weren't expected to be scorers, who played only two seasons and who had injury issues -- relates to the current group of forwards.

Malone has increased his scoring every year. Frattin greatly improved by season's end, despite playing only half a season. Hextall and Gregoire have both improved their scoring. Kristo could very well increase his production, too. It'd be interesting to see what Hextall can do if he stays healthy. Lamoureux improved from his freshman to sophomore seasons.

Trupp remains something of an enigma. We've seen what he's capable of doing, but he also has a tendency to disappear for long stretches. Knight is also something of a question mark, although Hakstol certainly seems to think that he'll play a larger role by centering one of the top lines and being a regular on the power play.

You're also totally ignoring the potential for more scoring from the defensive corps. Hakstol's scheme is to develop defenseman with a "defense first" mentality. Once he knows that they're solid defensively, he gives them more freedom to get involved offensively. Usually, that doesn't happen until their junior year. We saw that from Blood this season. I suspect that Gleason has more of an offensive upside than we've seen.

We know how good Marto can be when he's healthy. LaPoint also has offensive skills. Will he be even better after playing a full season and having the off season to further rehab his leg? It's possible. And if Genoway comes back? Wow.

We have this same discussion every year at the end of the season. The assumption always is that the team can't replace the scoring it lost. And each new season, freshmen produce more than expected, some players begin to play up to their potential, others play better than anticipated and upper classmen have better seasons than they did as freshmen and sophomores simply because of the experience factor.

Will all that happen next season? Possibly not because as you pointed out, injuires can play a major role in a team's offensive production. However, I do believe the potential is there -- barring early departures -- for next season's Sioux team to be one of the most solid from top to bottom that Hakstol has coached during his tenure.
    Last edited by PCM; 04-06-2010, 09:33 AM.
    Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
      Also, Chris VandeVelde has signed with Edmonton. He's going to report to the AHL to start
      Congrats to Chris......go spuds
      "I'm not looking for the best players, Craig, I'm lookin' for the right ones......"

Comment

Originally posted by PCM View Post
        We have this same discussion every year at the end of the season. The assumption always is that the team can't replace the scoring it lost. And each new season, freshmen produce more than expected, some players begin to play up to their potential, others play better than anticipated and upper classmen have better seasons than they did as freshmen and sophomores simply because of the experience factor.

Will all that happen next season? Possibly not because as you pointed out, injuires can play a major role in a team's offensive production. However, I do believe the potential is there -- barring early departures -- for next season's Sioux team to be one of the most solid from top to bottom that Hakstol has coached during his tenure.
        Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad mouthing the team or downplaying our chances.

Also, I think we will replace the scoring from last year. We didn't lose that much.

My point has been that in addition to guys like Malone, etc..., replacing the scoring of VV and Zajac, we need to have guys who already play a big role show a nice increase in their scoring abilities if we want to do more than simply replace what we've lost. It won't be enough if Malone just becomes the new VV, and Rowney becomes the new Malone.

I think the potential is there. More than anyone, I think Kristo has a chance to put up a lot more goals than he did in a very nice freshman season. I don't think we've seen his full potential even strength yet, and I think he's going to be even more effective next year on the pp.

I like Frattin's chances as well to put up 16-20 goals. Not saying it will happen, but he has the talent and I think he now knows that.

Hextall, who knows. Could he score 20-25 goals if he stays healthy? Possibly. I still think he's a 12-15 goal guy though. I think the same with Malone. I don't think we'll see more than 10 out of Trupp. Knight's going to get a chance to see a lot more scoring chances and he could be come a 15 goal guy.

But I don't see any of our incoming freshmen putting up the 15 that Kristo did.

It's still a team that will rely primarily on defense, which should be very, very good next year. Also, I think scoring in the WCHA will be down dramatically. A lot of top end scoring talent in the league is leaving.

But looking at it from a national perspective, I would really like to see a bump up to that 3.75-4 goals per game average. That combined with a great defensive team will put us in the hunt for the big prize.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Danny Kristo named to INCH's Freshmen All-American Team and named runner-up for INCH's Rookie of the Year award. Congrats, Danny!
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Duey View Post
            Congrats to Chris......go spuds
            Here is the Herald article on the signing:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even.../group/sports/
            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              But looking at it from a national perspective, I would really like to see a bump up to that 3.75-4 goals per game average. That combined with a great defensive team will put us in the hunt for the big prize.
              I agree. IF the Sioux don't lose anyone early, they will return the nucleus of the fourth best defense in the country, the fourth best penalty kill in the country and the ninth best power play in the country. That's a pretty solid foundation to build on. Even with averaging 3.26 goals per game, UND was still the 14th best team offensively in the country.

But here's the stat I think is most important: scoring margin. UND had the sixth best scoring margin in the nation at 1.14. Who was above the Sioux?
              1. 1.56 Miami
              2. 1.55 RIT
              3. 1.41 Wisconsin
              4. 1.40 Boston College
              5. 1.18 Cornell

Is it just a coincidence that the four teams with the best scoring margins in the country are playing this week in the Frozen Four? I don't think so.

It's not just a matter of improving offensively, but also improving defensively. If the Sioux can reduce their goals against from 2.12 to 2.02 and increase their goals for from 3.26 to 3.56, the team's scoring margin becomes 1.54, which would put them near the top nationally.

As I mentioned earlier, with Genoway in the lineup, UND was averaging 3.67 goals per game. From February on without him, they averaged four goals per game. Given the returning experience and talent, a .4 improvement in scoring margin doesn't seem unrealistic. Obviously, there are a lot of variables that can affect that, but I think right now, it's not an unreasonable expectation.
              Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Chris VandeVelde makes INCH's 3rd team All-Americans Congrats Chris.

Comment

Chris VandeVelde makes INCH's 3rd team All-Americans Congrats Chris.
                  Kristo also made the INCH Freshman All-American list, as well as being the runner-up in the INCH ROTY Award (won by Merrimack's DaCosta).

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...oshaa_2010.htm

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...5/inch-rookie/
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Again, assuming everyone returns that should... the Sioux will be tough next year. All this talk about improving GAA and improving scoring... it will all work out. We saw what this team is capable of in that last 2 months and it was some incredible play. They dominated at times, often in fact. The regional was unfortunate because I thought this team was playing the best hockey I have seen them play heading into the playoffs in the past 6 years and the field was wide open and ripe for the taking. The Sioux dealt with some major injury issues which skewed their overall numbers... and they still had awesome numbers for the year.

I think the improved play of Eidsness in the last 2 months was a major factor in their run, too. It looks to me like someone got to him and settled him down away from the net. If he'd quit trying to play the back board rebounds (which he did from Feb on, even though it burned him once in the regional), he will be above-average and even win a couple games on his own.

I agree they need someone to step up and be a go-to scorer. They lack one of those guys, although I believe Frattin and/or Kristo could fill that roll if they take the next step. They need a guy who can carry them when the game bogs down and snipe that big goal at times.
                    Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
                    INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

Danny Kristo named to INCH's Freshmen All-American Team and named runner-up for INCH's Rookie of the Year award. Congrats, Danny!
                      Kristo also made the INCH Freshman All-American list, as well as being the runner-up in the INCH ROTY Award (won by Merrimack's DaCosta).

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...oshaa_2010.htm

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...5/inch-rookie/
                      Trying to steal my scoop again, eh Brian.

Comment

Trying to steal my scoop again, eh Brian.
                        New scoop time:

The NHL's Central Scouting Bureau just announced its final draft rankings today.

UND's top-ranked prospect is no surprise -- it's defenseman Derek Forbort at No. 9. Forbort is the only college player in the top 10. Brock Nelson also appears to be a possible late first-round pick. He's at No. 25.

Other UND prospects include Nick Mattson at No. 134, Mike Parks at No. 138 and Zane Gothberg is the No. 6 North American goaltender.

Brendan O'Donnell, who was ranked at midterm, is no longer on the rankings. Neither is Danny Mattson, who was No. 56 in the final rankings a year ago but went undrafted.

Also of note, former Sioux recruit Matt White is ranked No. 106. White was picked as an "A" prospect last summer, dropped completely out of the midterm rankings when scouts didn't know his hockey future, and has now re-appeared on the list. White has committed to Vermont.
                        Brad posted the entire list with the MJ players removed over on his blog:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Hockeys Future article on Sioux dman recruit Nick Mattson:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._nick_mattson/

This part discusses him coming in either this fall or next fall, depending on what happens with Genoway:

Mattson is committed to the University of North Dakota, which most people in his home state of Minnesota consider a rival school. He's very excited to finally get there.

"When I tell people I'm going to North Dakota, they give me a funny look like 'What are you going to do up there?' but yeah, I'm really excited. I grew up watching them actually. I have a couple buddies there and everyone I've talked do that's been there cannot say enough good things about it."

He's scheduled to begin this fall, but a medical red shirt by Chay Genoway for last season could crowd up the blue line and keep Mattson in the USHL another year. If he returns, he'll have a new coach, as Blashill was just named the coach at Western Michigan University.

With the extra time, Mattson could decide what he wants to study once he gets there. Right now, he's decidedly undecided.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

With the extra time, Mattson could decide what he wants to study once he gets there. Right now, he's decidedly undecided.
                            Is this a new way of being more undecided than the typical undecided student?
                            sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                              Is this a new way of being more undecided than the typical undecided student?
                              It took three years at UND for my son to decide what his major would be, and I'm not convinced that he really knows at this point.

Comment

My first 4 years at UND were spent deciding my major.
                                I think Dirty spent his first 9 years doing the same thing.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X