X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of North Dakota - Offseason Thread 2010

With our d-corps for next season, this wouldn't surprise me if it happened:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=74947

The Kamloops Blazers of the WHL say they will try to get UND sophomore defenseman Corey Fienhage to go play major juniors instead of college hockey.

An article in the Kamloops Daily News notes that Fienhage has been added to the Blazers' protected list.

Fienhage was UND's seventh defenseman until Chay Genoway got hurt. With the possibility of an extremely deep defensive corps next season, Fienhage may have to estimate how much he's going to play next season.

"He's kind of a longshot," Kamloops GM Craig Bonner told the Daily News. "I think there is an outside shot. He may come to us, wanting to play in our league. We'll just wait and see if anything transpires."
    Best of luck to Corey if he does make that move.
    Something had to give with our current roster + incoming defense recruits + the possibility of Chay returning.
    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Apparently Coach Eades is in the running for the head coaching job at OSU.
      That could make this offseason a bit more interesting than normal.
      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
        Apparently Coach Eades is in the running for the head coaching job at OSU.
        That could make this offseason a bit more interesting than normal.
        Is there an article somewhere, Brian, or is it just rumors floating around ss.com?

Eades should be on anyone's short list of candidates. If I were a school like OSU, with a large budget and the cache of being a Big 10 school, I'd take a look at trying to draw the top assistant candidates from those schools that have been very successful.

I have to believe Mark Osiecki at Wisconsin would be a top choice of many. I don't know much about BC or Michigan assistants, but if I were OSU I'd look there too. Also, I always go back to Mark Johnson of Wisconsin. Now would be the perfect time. He took a year off from coaching at Wisconsin to coach the women's Olympic team. I don't care if his head coaching experience is in the women's game. He has been an assistant at a successful Big 10 men's program and he brings instant credibility just by being Mark Johnson.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Is there an article somewhere, Brian, or is it just rumors floating around ss.com?
          Just rumors at this point.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

With our d-corps for next season, this wouldn't surprise me if it happened:

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=74947

Best of luck to Corey if he does make that move.
            Something had to give with our current roster + incoming defense recruits + the possibility of Chay returning.
            If I was Fienhage I would probably make the switch at this point. Just sayin.
            Remember when you were young? You shined like the sun...

Comment

UND recruits Forbort, Nelson, and Gothberg all got invites to the NHL Combine.

Also, Forbort is on the U18 team that participates in the U18 World Champs in a few weeks.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

McKeen's Q&A with Sioux dman recruit Nick Mattson:

http://www.mckeenshockey.rivals.com/...sp?CID=1069419

Of interest:

McKeen's: With you, is it still the plan to go to North Dakota next year, or is it possible that you come back to the USHL?

Mattson: Yeah, I think so for now. But, I think [Chay] Genoway (pauses), well, actually, I don't know. I think the plan right now is to go in, but I'm not 100 percent, but I think that's the plan for now. It might come down to numbers. They might have nine "d" coming back, so I don't know. We'll wait and see.

McKeen's: You don't want to be tenth one.

Mattson: No.
                It sounds like the d-corps situation is getting figured out a bit for next season. If Genoway comes back, then Nick Mattson will get delayed a year and spend another season in the USHL. And then it sounds more like Fienhage will go elsewhere if Forbort and Simpson come in.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

The last Wed media session had some answers to common offseason questions:

For the last time this season, the media gathered at Ralph Engelstad Arena for a press conference with coach Dave Hakstol. He touched on a number of subjects.

1. Chay Genoway will take some time to make his decision. Chay is an extremely smart individual (as evidenced by his GPA). He knows and understands his situation. He knows and understands NHL contracts and the collective bargaining agreement. When he does make a decision, it is going to be a very informed and a well thought-out decision. On a down note, Chay still has not been medically cleared to play hockey.

2. Hakstol said there's a great chance that UND will have all of its key pieces back for next season, other than the outgoing seniors.

3. Hakstol said it's time for players to start preparing for next year. He said that one or two players did not have good summers in 2009 and that cannot happen again. He said the Sioux need every player to have a good-to-great summer. The example I used today was Ben Blood. Hakstol said Blood was one of the players who set the bar very high last summer, but was not the only guy who did a great job.

4. Next season could be an exciting one for the Sioux, but Hakstol basically said that if the guys do not have good summers, they will not be very good.

5. Corban Knight will likely play center next season. He could get an opportunity to center one of the top lines (Brad Malone will center the other one). Hakstol said some of UND's younger players are natural centermen. I specifically asked whether Jason Gregoire could move to center and Hakstol said that he will not. He said Gregoire is too good along the wall and that left wing is his best position. He will remain there.

6. It is too early to know if Brent Davidson will stay at defense or go back to forward. Hakstol said they will have to evaluate what they have. He said that Davidson will do whatever the team needs and he praised Davidson for the work he did to be ready to play defense for the team during the stretch run.

7. UND will be evaluating Joe Gleason in the next week and will get a better idea of where he's at. Gleason may be a few weeks away from getting going on off-season workouts but Hakstol didn't anticipate that it would be anything that would keep him out for a chunk of the summer.

8. Blood, Jake Marto and Andrew MacWilliam are on the mend from their upper-body injuries. All three are pretty tough guys. I'm not sure how long it will be until they can start lifting.

9. Chris VandeVelde said on The Pipeline Show last night that he anticipates signing with the Edmonton Oilers this week. He will likely play in Springfield for the rest of the season. I haven't heard about anything imminent for Darcy Zajac.
                  Genoway update status unknown right now.
                  I like Knight as a top 2 line center with Malone, who essentially takes over for VV.
                  All "key" pieces back for next season. Good news about Gregoire, Malone, Frattin, etc. Possibly a surprise like Fienhage though to depart.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Genoway update status unknown right now.
                    I like Knight as a top 2 line center with Malone, who essentially takes over for VV.
                    All "key" pieces back for next season. Good news about Gregoire, Malone, Frattin, etc. Possibly a surprise like Fienhage though to depart.
                    losing Fienhage would be tough but like we've talked about...the team is so stacked at the blue line that it's not going to hurt the Sioux. Personally, I'd like to see Hak rely more on a two-goaltender system.
                    Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Thought you North Dakotaites might like this article. Your boy is doing himself proud here in Portland, Me.

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/st...010-04-02.html

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                        Thought you North Dakotaites might like this article. Your boy is doing himself proud here in Portland, Me.

Thanks for posting - nice to see Lammy doing well.
                        Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post

*sigh*

I miss J.P.

Comment

What is everyone expecting for WCHA finish next season?
                            Here is my very early guess:

1. UND (returning a ton, could go down depending on Genoway decision)
                            2. SCSU (also returning a ton)
                            3. DU (losing a lot, but have a stellar recruiting class, if Chevy leaves, could move down another spot or two)
                            4. UMD (returning a lot as well, even with Bordson departure)
                            5. UW (losing quite a bit...they also have a very talented JR class...UW could move up/down depending on how many of them sign or stay)
                            6. UMN (get Barriball back plus a great recruiting class)
                            7. CC (losing Sweatt, Testwuide, and Prosser + 6 other seniors will hurt)
                            8. BSU (don't know much about them)
                            9. UNO (see above)
                            10. MSUM (lose a lot of senior points)
                            11. MTU (moving out of the cellar)
                            12. UAA (Clark graduates, which takes a lot of their offense...Clark had 23 goals, no one else on the team had double digits)

This could of course change with more early departures.
                            I probably have DU higher than most. I just can't see them falling that far despite their heavy losses. They just reload.
                            I have no clue on BSU and UNO. They could be higher/lower, who knows.

UND opens both the new UMD and the new BSU arenas next season. Should be an exciting season. 6 months to go!

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

DU will have a lot of seniors (9-10?) and a very experienced d-corps. Question marks will be up front (a lot of offense is leaving) and in goal (if Chevy leaves). I think 4th is about right assuming Chevy goes. If Chevy stays, I think DU is probably 2nd-3rd or so.

With or without Genoway, I think the Sioux should win the WCHA next year handily. They will be loaded with experience, and won't need to overcome a bad start.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                                With or without Genoway, I think the Sioux should win the WCHA next year handily. They will be loaded with experience, and won't need to overcome a bad start.
                                "Should" seems like an awfully high expectation. I'll ditto this comment except I'm replacing "should" with "could".

At this point, the numbers all point to the Sioux as the favorites. SCSU and UMD also look good on paper, and you can never entirely count out Denver, Wisconsin, or even Minnesota... simply due to the massive amount of talent on their rosters. I could even see Bemidji finishing top four, but the gruelling WCHA schedule will prohibit them from winning the MacNaughton.
                                scsuhockey.com
                                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Working...
                                X