This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of North Dakota - Offseason Thread 2010

No worries, I thought they were done too.
    This Yale/BC game is a battle of the sieves or something.

Neither goalie can stop a chance...
    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Another question that should be asked, is was yesterday the last game that North Dakota will be the "Fighting Sioux"?
      I surely hope not.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
        I would guess that we will keep Kristo for one more season.
        Not many players are skilled enough to jump after one season. Neither Parise or Toews left UND after one season, and both of them were further along as freshmen than Kristo was this year.
        I predict all will stay.

Comment

Originally posted by omahasioux1 View Post
          I predict all will stay.
          It sounds like we will know sooner rather than later about Genoway's status for next season.
          It will be great to see him back on the ice regardless of if it is with the Sioux or not, but I would love to see him have another go of his senior year.
          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

2010-2011 Fighting Sioux Roster

Defense
            Blood, Jr
            Davidson, Sr
            Fienhage, Jr
            Genoway, Sr
            Gleason, So
            Hill, So
            LaPoint, Sr
            MacWilliam, So
            Marto, Sr

Forward
            Bruneteau, So
            Cichy, So
            Frattin, Sr
            Gregoire, Jr
            Hextall, Jr
            Knight, So
            Kristo, So
            Lamoureux, Jr
            Malone, Sr
            Rowney, So
            Toews, Jr
            Trupp, Sr

Goalie
            Dell, So
            Eidsness, Jr
            Maris, So

Potential incoming recruits:
            Danny Mattson, F
            Derek Rodwell, F
            Nick Mattson, D
            Derek Forbort, D

There is also a chance that Dillon Simpson (D) and/or Brock Nelson (F) might come in this fall as well.

Potential early departures (for different reasons):
            Blood, Fienhage, Genoway, and Gregoire

Thoughts?
            Thoughts

1. Work like heck in the off-season to improve one's self.
            2. Have everyone come back.
            3. Work like heck from October 1 - April 15.
            4. Hoist the McNaughton, Broadmoor and NCAA trophies.

This is the most talented team in the country going in to 2010-2011.
            A Fan of the UND Fighting Sioux!! Sioux the NCAA!

Comment

Originally posted by siouxinminny View Post
              This is the most talented team in the country going in to 2010-2011.
              Definitely one of the strongest on paper.
              Of course, after watching DU in the postseason, that didn't do them much good though.

If Genoway comes back, this team will be one of the favorites for the national title.
              If Genoway doesn't come back, this team will be one of the favorites in the WCHA and should make some noise on the national scene.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I would guess that we will keep Kristo for one more season.
                Not many players are skilled enough to jump after one season. Neither Parise or Toews left UND after one season, and both of them were further along as freshmen than Kristo was this year.
                Agreed. With Schroeder, he regressed and played like he often didn't care. Maybe he did care and he just couldn't get it to show with the team/coaching surrounding him. Whatever the reason, MN is getting a rap for not developing players and it's coming from all sides, so his leaving early was perhaps out of neccesity in his mind. I've never heard that about UND... ususally we hear just the opposite. A few players jumped ship around the new NHL CBA, but look at the players who stayed an extra year lately when we thought they were gone.
                Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
                INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

Definitely one of the strongest on paper.
                  Of course, after watching DU in the postseason, that didn't do them much good though.

If Genoway comes back, this team will be one of the favorites for the national title.
                  If Genoway doesn't come back, this team will be one of the favorites in the WCHA and should make some noise on the national scene.
                  It will be a strong defensive team. In order for this team to contend for a title, at least 3 players are going to have to step up their scoring. I don't see us winning a title scoring goals at a 3.2 goals per game clip again, or whatever we finished at this year. That's why Wisconsin was successful in this tournament, and UND and DU weren't.

Will we get anything from the incoming freshmen? History tells me no. If we're real lucky, we'll pick up 10-15 goals from one of them.

I think these things need to happen for the Sioux to have a great year next year:

1. Matt Frattin plays all year like he did the last dozen games or so.
                  2. Trupp turns his speed and puck handling abilities into a consistent offensive threat.
                  3. Corban Knight continues his improvement and he and/or Malone turn into a Chris Vande Velde type 17-18 goal scorer.
                  4. Danny Kristo becomes much more dynamic, and an offensive threat, when the team is not on the pp.
                  5. Mike Cichy makes some strides and becomes a 10 goal threat on the 3rd or 4th line.
                  6. Dell becomes viable backup goaltender and the Sioux go with a rotating system with each goaltender pushing the other to become better.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    1. Matt Frattin plays all year like he did the last dozen games or so.
                    2. Trupp turns his speed and puck handling abilities into a consistent offensive threat.
                    3. Corban Knight continues his improvement and he and/or Malone turn into a Chris Vande Velde type 17-18 goal scorer.
                    4. Danny Kristo becomes much more dynamic, and an offensive threat, when the team is not on the pp.
                    5. Mike Cichy makes some strides and becomes a 10 goal threat on the 3rd or 4th line.
                    6. Dell becomes viable backup goaltender and the Sioux go with a rotating system with each goaltender pushing the other to become better.
                    I think Frattin is poised to have a monster senior season.
                    Same thing with Trupp and Malone. Trupp really broke out in the last few weeks of the season, and I could see Malone taking over where VV left off.
                    I think we could see a big improvement from Toews. He always showed flashes of greatness on the ice...I think with an increased role he could really shine.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I think Frattin is poised to have a monster senior season.
                      Same thing with Trupp and Malone. Trupp really broke out in the last few weeks of the season, and I could see Malone taking over where VV left off.
                      I think we could see a big improvement from Toews. He always showed flashes of greatness on the ice...I think with an increased role he could really shine.
                      I think Frattin, Gregoire and Kristo are all potential 25 goal scorers. If each hits it, the Sioux will have a monster year.

Trupper, I'm not so sure about. He's hit that 7-8 goal total each year. It puzzles me, due to his speed and hands. I'd like to see a breakout season from him, but I'm not expecting it.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Trupper, I'm not so sure about. He's hit that 7-8 goal total each year. It puzzles me, due to his speed and hands. I'd like to see a breakout season from him, but I'm not expecting it.
                        It would be great to see Trupp really have a good SR season.
                        He's such a fun player to watch on the ice with his skill and puckhandling ability.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I think Frattin, Gregoire and Kristo are all potential 25 goal scorers. If each hits it, the Sioux will have a monster year.

In my opinion, Trupper had a breakout year THIS YEAR. The injury prone kid played in every game this season, did not get injured and hit career highs in points and assists. The kid is not going to be an overwhelming goal scorer. He's more of a playmaker ... and needs to continue to get the puck to Fratts and Malone next season. I expect continued improvement in the production of that entire line.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                            In my opinion, Trupper had a breakout year THIS YEAR. The injury prone kid played in every game this season, did not get injured and hit career highs in points and assists. The kid is not going to be an overwhelming goal scorer. He's more of a playmaker ... and needs to continue to get the puck to Fratts and Malone next season. I expect continued improvement in the production of that entire line.
                            I cant wait to see these three together again this coming fall. could be something very special. the balence of hands, speed and grit all on the same line... anyway SIOUX YA YA!!
                            Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Here's Frattin's goal as SportsCenter's #1:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5037501

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                                With Evan it's a bit of a mixed bag.

First, he certainly improved his point total this year. However, as you noted he did play more games due to fewer injury problems.

Another huge positive is that of his 26 assists this year, 18 were considered "primary". Thus, he certainly contributed more to scoring than he had in the past.

However, I suspect some of that may be due to increased time on the pp. He picked up 15 points this year on the pp, compared with only 5 last year. With more pp time, he'd better increase his scoring stats.

Also, he just disappeared from the goal scoring column, almost for the entire season.

He picked up two goals against Tech in November. That was before Chay went down with his injury, that's how early that was. Other than a single goal late in the game against Niagara, Evan didn't score again until the Final 5. For an upperclassman, one who has the skill set Trupp has, and one who's getting the ice time he is, I think he can do better.

Comment

Working...
                                X